Food Storage Containers

UPDATE: Still Going Strong After Seven Years

Seven years later and the Rubbermaid Twist-and-Seal 2-cup containers are still working fine. Only a few have broken. We use these all the time. Today I'm ordering some more.

Amazon.com: Rubbermaid TakeAlongs Twist and Seal Food Storage Containers, Set of 4, 1.2-cup, Chili: Kitchen & Dining

Found Rubbermaid "Twist and seal" containers at "Tar-jay," and after some testing (including filling with water and putting in the freezer), these were the winners. They are also one-third the price of the others I've tested. So I bought 18. They meet all the requirements:

Nestable
Can see the food without opening
Don't leak
Dishwasher safe
Microwaveable
Freezable

Seven years later and the Rubbermaid Twist-and-Seal 2-cup containers are still working fine. Only a few have broken. We use these all the time. Today I'm ordering some more.

Amazon.com: Rubbermaid TakeAlongs Twist and Seal Food Storage Containers, Set of 4, 1.2-cup, Chili: Kitchen & Dining

Thanks for the report - similarly, I got these locally (Target) ~ 2-3 years ago (another advantage of on-line purchases - I would have a record of the purchase) and they are also very good. None have broken, or even shown any sign of degradation at all.

Amazon.com: Rubbermaid Easy Find Lid Food Storage Set, 20-Piece: Kitchen Storage And Organization Product Sets: Kitchen & Dining

DW bought some other types earlier, as soon as I saw them I said "Those are cr@p, take 'em back", but she wouldn't. As I predicted, the snap lids started breaking in short order - the plastic flap gets bent so far that you can tell it will get stressed and break - those bad ones were "Snapware".

I wish they would put the capacity (English & Metric) of each container in LARGE BOLD FONT. What's the point of having "8 Cups" lightly embossed in translucent plastic? Make it BIG, make it READABLE! It doesn't cost anything to make those characters larger.

In addition, I'd like to see graduated marks along the sides, and tare weight listed on the container and the lid - that way, you could tell how much was in a container by weighing it. Would be handy for filling also, if you don't have a scale that can be zeroed-out.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I wish they would put the capacity (English & Metric) of each container in LARGE BOLD FONT. What's the point of having "8 Cups" lightly embossed in translucent plastic? Make it BIG, make it READABLE! It doesn't cost anything to make those characters larger.

In addition, I'd like to see graduated marks along the sides, and tare weight listed on the container and the lid - that way, you could tell how much was in a container by weighing it. Would be handy for filling also, if you don't have a scale that can be zeroed-out.

-ERD50

Yes. When I reordered these yesterday, I wanted to make sure I got the same ones I'd gotten before, and I literally needed good light and a magnifying glass to see the capacity. I considered putting paper over it to make a rubbing with a pencil so that I could read it better.

Another pet peeve is that there was no model name or number, useful if you want to order more of the same thing. That's true of many products.

Once, not making this up, I wanted to get the same underwear that I'd gotten years ago. The store had many different varieties, and I didn't know if mine were low-rise briefs, medium-briefs, etc. So I emailed a photo of my old underwear to Hanes and asked them what model they were. I suggested they indicate the model on the underwear, and while I was at it, suggested they design the band so that the wearer could tell front/back and inside/outside by touch, so that he could get dressed in the dark.

They appreciated the feedback (that never happens), told me the model to buy, and sent me some free underwear that showed that they'd already implemented my dress-in-the-dark suggestion.

Once, not making this up, I wanted to get the same underwear that I'd gotten years ago. The store had many different varieties, and I didn't know if mine were low-rise briefs, medium-briefs, etc. So I emailed a photo of my old underwear to Hanes ....

Oh man, where were you when Anthony Weiner needed some help in the PR department? :LOL:

"That's right, I had intended for that picture to go to the Hanes corporation, I had a question concerning the fit of their product..."

I also agree on the model # issue - it is hard for me to understand how a company can actually make it hard for their customers to re-order a product, or order parts for it, or ask a question, etc. Apple makes this a pain, half their info refers to models by descriptions like: "Late Spring 20XX 13" Mac Book Pro with Mini-Display connector". Hmmmm, when did I buy this? When is 'late' in a 'late Spring'? What's that connector look like?

-ERD50

Last edited:
I also agree on the model # issue - it is hard for me to understand how a company can actually make it hard for their customers to re-order a product, or order parts for it, or ask a question, etc. Apple makes this a pain, half their info refers to models by descriptions like: "Late Spring 20XX 13" Mac Book Pro with Mini-Display connector".

Just go to the apple icon and click on 'About this Mac'. It will tell you. This is being written on my Mid 2011 Mac.

Click on More Information and there is a ton of details on the hardware and software on the machine. For example this video system:

AMD Radeon HD 6770M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6770M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6740
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170F-170
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.544
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Granted some type of sequential model number would be easier, but that's why we have Apple stores and genius bars. :D

Last edited:
Just go to the apple icon and click on 'About this Mac'. It will tell you. This is being written on my Mid 2011 Mac. ...

OK, but I know I've had to jump through hoops before with this issue, and I just knew it could not be as easy as clicking on "About This Mac", or I would have done that. But I just checked DW's Mac Book Pro, and sure enough, there it is. Hmmmmm.... how to explain this....

..... Mystery solved!

I booted into an older version of the Mac OS, and guess what - no mention of the 'season of manufacture'. So this is a somewhat recent development.

It's still a problem - is it listed that way on your sales receipt? What if you can't boot the Mac, or don't have access to it while you are trying to research a problem? I easily recall that my old Emachines is an EM725 and my current Lenovo is a G710, w/o needing to boot them to find out. IMO Apple should have a simple model # scheme, and use that in ALL their documentation - it would make troubleshooting easier than their current mish-mash.

I seem to recall at one point the iPhone was 'Generation 3' but using 4G technology (or vice-versa?), and those names got thrown around w/o being clear if 4G or 3G referred to the cell technology or the rev of the phone. Just seems like a simple thing to clean up.

-ERD50

Does anyone else here just use the Ziploc/Glad semi-disposable/reuseable/freeze/nuke plastic ones? I confess! I am aware how bad some of the issues are regarding microwaving plastic, but...I am rough on my food containers that go from home to w*rk, etc. Another reason to FIRE (no more toting lunches to the office!!)

Yep.......we use them all the time. When they get rough looking or so discolored (from spaghetti sauce) we toss them and get a couple new ones.

Mike

We save every plastic bag and shopping bag that comes into the house, and every container bag that we empty. We shake out whatever debris was in them and we stuff them in a cabinet.

When we're going to use a bag, we look through the cabinet first. If it's not dirty we'll keep re-using. So the hamburger-bun bag makes a few round trips through our kitchen before it's disposed of.

We save paper grocery bags and use them for green waste or take them back to the store on our next trip for rebagging.

The system works pretty well and really cuts back on using paper/plastic bags. I bought a 100-bag bundle of paper bags back in the 1980s (for brownbagging lunches) and we still have some left.

We don't bother to wash things out anymore, but we used to do that overseas when plastic bags weren't always in stock at the stores.

My wife and I save our bags from shopping also, primarily the plastic ones. We use them around the house or for taking lunches to work. I remember when I was a kid my mom saved the bags that our bread came in. My brothers and I would use them in the winter time and slip them over our socks before putting our boots on and going out in the snow. They did a good job keeping our feet dry! :)

Mike

OK, but I know I've had to jump through hoops before with this issue, and I just knew it could not be as easy as clicking on "About This Mac", or I would have done that. But I just checked DW's Mac Book Pro, and sure enough, there it is. Hmmmmm.... how to explain this....

..... Mystery solved!

I booted into an older version of the Mac OS, and guess what - no mention of the 'season of manufacture'. So this is a somewhat recent development.

It's still a problem - is it listed that way on your sales receipt? What if you can't boot the Mac, or don't have access to it while you are trying to research a problem? I easily recall that my old Emachines is an EM725 and my current Lenovo is a G710, w/o needing to boot them to find out. IMO Apple should have a simple model # scheme, and use that in ALL their documentation - it would make troubleshooting easier than their current mish-mash.

I seem to recall at one point the iPhone was 'Generation 3' but using 4G technology (or vice-versa?), and those names got thrown around w/o being clear if 4G or 3G referred to the cell technology or the rev of the phone. Just seems like a simple thing to clean up.

-ERD50

Is not there a sticker somewhere on the outside with the model and serial number? With that you can find out exactly when the system was made?

.... similarly, I got these locally (Target) ~ 2-3 years ago (another advantage of on-line purchases - I would have a record of the purchase) and they are also very good. None have broken, or even shown any sign of degradation at all.

Amazon.com: Rubbermaid Easy Find Lid Food Storage Set, 20-Piece: Kitchen Storage And Organization Product Sets: Kitchen & Dining

We have these also and have been happy with them. Despite having a nice set of these and some always available DW insists on also keeping a hodge-podge of other containers that don't fit together well and take up way more space then it would if we had all one type. Drives me crazy....

Is not there a sticker somewhere on the outside with the model and serial number? With that you can find out exactly when the system was made?

Not really. Only the serial number is etched in the case - so a dull gray etching on a dull gray case, a whopping 1 mm in height!

I never noticed it before it is so subtle, and could easily be scratched out. I could barely make it out with an illuminating magnifying glass, and took me quite a while to determine if one was a "0", "O", or "D" - and maybe I got it wrong? It also wasn't obvious where to go to get this lookup, the Apple site where you do this talks about checking your service contract, and I know that is past, they don't actually say it will return the model description.

Yes, this could and should be far simpler. Again, G710, EM725 - how easy is that?

-ERD50

Not really. Only the serial number is etched in the case - so a dull gray etching on a dull gray case, a whopping 1 mm in height!

I never noticed it before it is so subtle, and could easily be scratched out. I could barely make it out with an illuminating magnifying glass, and took me quite a while to determine if one was a "0", "O", or "D" - and maybe I got it wrong? It also wasn't obvious where to go to get this lookup, the Apple site where you do this talks about checking your service contract, and I know that is past, they don't actually say it will return the model description.

Yes, this could and should be far simpler. Again, G710, EM725 - how easy is that?

-ERD50

Dell in contrast creates a service tag that is on both the box the system comes in and a sticker on the system. That tag provides access to the system configuration etc online.

The serial number is usually etched in the case of Apple products.
How to find the serial number of your Apple hardware product

Note that Apple registration numbers and Apple hardware product serial numbers may sometimes contain the number "0" (zero), but not the letter "O".

Go to this web page and enter the serial number:
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do
Click on "Continue".

securedImage.jsp

~VIN,IMAC (24-INCH MID 2007)

Serial Number: YD8072XXXXXX
Check another serial number

The page will also list any tech, warranty or service support available.

Well despite what Some people say, it is not a problem for me because I don't store food in my Mac. I just pry the top off my backup drive and pour the food in. For long term food storage I tried uploading my extra stew to Carbonite but it got rotten before the upload was complete. :-(

Well despite what Some people say, it is not a problem for me because I don't store food in my Mac. I just pry the top off my backup drive and pour the food in. For long term food storage I tried uploading my extra stew to Carbonite but it got rotten before the upload was complete. :-(

I don't know why people wouldn't want to store food in it. Solid polycarbonite case, and it will hold mega bites!

:D

The new containers came yesterday. The threads and tops are a bit different, but the new lids work with the old bottoms and vice versa. Just barely.

Last edited:

Once, not making this up, I wanted to get the same underwear that I'd gotten years ago. The store had many different varieties, and I didn't know if mine were low-rise briefs, medium-briefs, etc. So I emailed a photo of my old underwear to Hanes and asked them what model they were. I suggested they indicate the model on the underwear, and while I was at it, suggested they design the band so that the wearer could tell front/back and inside/outside by touch, so that he could get dressed in the dark.

They appreciated the feedback (that never happens), told me the model to buy, and sent me some free underwear that showed that they'd already implemented my dress-in-the-dark suggestion.

I think we have a new finalist in the funniest T-Al story contest. Were you wearing the old underwear in the photo?

I suggested they indicate the model on the underwear, and while I was at it, suggested they design the band so that the wearer could tell front/back...
Al. If you can't tell the front/back of men's underwear by feel, you're probably not buying men's underwear. But then you didn't say you were...:)

I'm glad a man pointed that out about Al's story and the front/back issue. I felt like it wasn't appropriate for me to do so. :) But it is a great story, and a great way to score some free underwear!

Back
Top Bottom