For Book: Disguising Murder as Suicide

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In an upcoming book, I want the bad guy (BG) to murder someone and make it look like a suicide. Further, there has to be a suicide note confessing to another crime (that BG committed).

My current thinking is that the note is printed out on a computer, and BG tricks the victim into signing it (disguises it as something else?).

I can't imagine you can threaten someone into signing something, but maybe that would work (sign this or I kill your loved ones).

Any other ideas?

Maybe each victim of BG was forced at gunpoint to sign a suicide note on their own computer or else - and then BG killed them anyway ? Then you have each victim using their own computer and printer.

Rich

Is BG computer savvy? Steal something with desired signature on it, scan, order rubber stamp with signature and stamp the note? (And now I’m wondering if anyone makes rubber stamps anymore....but hey, it’s a start :)

That's so old school. tie the guy up, wear gloves and use his smartphone to text the suicide note to BFF or family member...then kill him... Have to keep him alive to unlock the phone.

My current thinking is that the note is printed out on a computer, and BG tricks the victim into signing it (disguises it as something else?).
I can't imagine a computer-printer suicide note, that was hand signed. Mixed-media suicide notes make no sense, IMHO.

The note should either be emailed, printed and unsigned, or hand-written in its entirety.

I suspect I would choose to email the note, and spoof the header so it looks like it actually came from the victim before death.

Or maybe even a deep-fake audio or video recording.

Yes, emailing the suicide note may be best. That seems to happen.

"Sign this here suicide note or I'll kill you" is unlikely to work, but "Sign here or I'll kill you. No, don't look at it!" might work.

That's so old school. tie the guy up, wear gloves and use his smartphone to text the suicide note to BFF or family member...then kill him... Have to keep him alive to unlock the phone.

Yes, that looks pretty good. Tying him up will clue in the police but maybe this:

1. Unlock your phone, or I'll kill you.
2. Guy unlocks phone.
3. BG kills him
4. BG texts the suicide note.

I could have the BG use the victim's fingerprint (after death) to unlock the phone, but I did something like that in another book.

Yes, that looks pretty good. Tying him up will clue in the police but maybe this:

1. Unlock your phone, or I'll kill you.
2. Guy unlocks phone.
3. BG kills him
4. BG texts the suicide note.

I could have the BG use the victim's fingerprint (after death) to unlock the phone, but I did something like that in another book.

Of course you could untie him before you leave...no using thumbprint you need a hand entered password as proof of life. You have to enter the password so he doesn't call 911.

Last edited:

Time for someone to develop a suicide app.

Current idea:

1. The victim frequently gets pass-out drunk.
  2. BG knows that.
  3. BG Puts victim in car with religious music playing in headphones, pictures of his kids on his lap
  4. BG Feeds exhaust into car
  5. BG Sends suicide note via text or Facebook or something

No Bg has an affair with a cardiac nurse but wants to break up . Nurse is mad and already has his text information so she makes it look like a massive heart attack but also sends a text about his other crime .

Make your victim a diabetic. Diabetics occasionally die from overdosing on insulin. Have the BG shoot him up with insulin.

Ah, nice ideas. Maybe we need to write a collaborative ER novel like the ER Cookbook.

The easiest way these days is make it look like the person was taking a selfie and fell off of a cliff, in front of a train, wherever.

BG makes wine oenophile drunk on 2 Buck Chuck wine from Dollar Store, now it looks like WO can't believe he did it so he offs himself. BG uses fingerprint to open phone....:)

or

BG makes WO get drunk on $2 Buck Chuck from Dollar Store, now WO realizes it tastes as good as his $2,000 bottles of wine and wants to off himself. BG uses finger to open phone.....:)

I think the method of death has to be consistent with the victim.
Does he own a gun and does the perp have easy access to it?
If he uses poison, how was it acquired (audit trail)?
If he overdoses, was he prescribed enough medication to do that?
Is he a regular user of a smart phone if a text is used.

Thanks.

Here's my current thinking:

In one or two places in the book, I mention that the victim is a druggie/alcoholic with psychological issues and regularly (most sunsets) sits in his car, drinks heavily (two-buck chuck!), and passes out.

The BG takes advantage of that. She finds him in that state, turns on the car, feeds the exhaust into it, and sends a suicide note on his phone.

Who writes out notes and physically signs them anymore? People use texts or emails or various messaging programs like FB messenger or Hangouts or Whatsapp.

Stop and think...let's say right now you wanted to hand write a note to someone on paper and physically sign it...do you have paper and pen handy?

Last edited:
Thanks.

Here's my current thinking:

In one or two places in the book, I mention that the victim is a druggie/alcoholic with psychological issues and regularly (most sunsets) sits in his car, drinks heavily (two-buck chuck!), and passes out.

The BG takes advantage of that. She finds him in that state, turns on the car, feeds the exhaust into it, and sends a suicide note on his phone.[/QUOT

That would work I think you could stuff a rag in the tailpipe. But then someone might see her..A garage implies the victims house which would be doable if the guy lives alone.

Last edited:
BG can't come in contact with the vic at all, or CSI would find unexplained bits. The pre-drunk vic could set-up his suicide car then get drunk enough to almost pass out, then start the car. That wouldn't work unless it's in a garage, because a hose from the tail pipe to the window while he goes between sober enough to assemble the contraption to pass-out drunk takes some time, and someone walking-by would spot it.

What if BG after giving the woman He is going to kill a strong sedative . He then texts the suicide note . Places her in her car and drives to a lake . He places her in the drivers seat and pulls the emergency brake . The DNA will be washed away .I think !

Conversely......disguising suicide as murder so that the insurance company pays up?

In an upcoming book, I want the bad guy (BG) to murder someone and make it look like a suicide. Further, there has to be a suicide note confessing to another crime (that BG committed).
The question I have is, what is the relationship of the victim to BG? This can go a million different ways. What's the point of murdering someone? Is there a payday? Are you related? Is the BG getting revenge? Is BG a serial killer? There are some very very BG's in this world that appear to be GG's. I'm always interested in the hero who is a very very BG. That makes a plot interesting to me.
Besides, it's easy to make a murder look like a suicide, happens all the time. I will always wonder about Anthony Bourdain and many others that they write off as suicide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom