Front Load Washing Machine

Not to highjack this thread but has anybody had any experience with combo washer/dryer units? Particularly those that run on 110v and have condenser type dryers?

We are moving into an apartment in a failed condo conversion project (renting). Our unit has washer plumbing, but apparently the development went broke before the 220v wiring or dryer vents were put in.

Those were the norm when I lived in Europe. Basements are unusual and the washer/dryer is usually in the kitchen. I find that separate dryers are more effective.

As luck would have it, I now have experience with a condensing dryer. I'm in Germany and the hotel has one for our use. It's a very nice-looking Miele unit--stainless steel cabinet and door, multifunction LED display, etc. Observations:
- The lint screen is a very fine mesh, tighter than on conventional US dryers. This is good, because every bit of lint that gets past it is going to blow right into your home.
- Drying takes a loooong time. My very modest-size load has been going around in that thing for over 90 minutes, and the clothes are still very damp. I finally removed them and hung things all over the hotel room. Maybe it's only supposed to get things mostly dry, but removing the last moisture is impractical (the condenser coil doesn't get cool enough?) Anyway, if this performance is typical, I wouldn't consider the machine. It might be a good choice for old European homes (where maybe the laundry room isn't on an external wall, or the structure is made of granite blocks so installing a vent is impractical), but I wouldn't want to put up with the inconvenience of long cycle times or handling clothes twice (to hang them up for the final drying).

This is my experience too.

We have a front load Maytag. DW loves it, and I guess its ok. But coins - only pennies and dimes - escape the drum and get caught in the drain line to the pump, the pump itself, and the drain line out of the washer. There is always some weird noises coming from the washer when this happens.

I have to take the washer apart about once every 2 months to take the coins out. Last week we had a "no drain" code and I removed about 8 coins, and installed a larger diameter drain line. The "no drain" code remained after DW tried washing the next load. I could not figure it out, so we called the service guy. It turned out that I had loosened the electrical connection to the pump. Oh well, next time I'll have to check the electrical connection as part of my coin removal tasks

I have to take the washer apart about once every 2 months to take the coins out.

Have you considered [-]primary prevention [/-]emptying the pockets before putting the clothes in the washing machine?

;)

Have you considered [-]primary prevention [/-]emptying the pockets before putting the clothes in the washing machine?

;)

You obviously never worked in a large corporation. :LOL:

We have a front load Maytag. DW loves it, and I guess its ok. But coins - only pennies and dimes - escape the drum and get caught in the drain line to the pump, the pump itself, and the drain line out of the washer. There is always some weird noises coming from the washer when this happens.

I have to take the washer apart about once every 2 months to take the coins out. Last week we had a "no drain" code and I removed about 8 coins, and installed a larger diameter drain line. The "no drain" code remained after DW tried washing the next load. I could not figure it out, so we called the service guy. It turned out that I had loosened the electrical connection to the pump. Oh well, next time I'll have to check the electrical connection as part of my coin removal tasks

Happens with top loaders as well. Had a coin-op machine driving me nuts - wouldn't empty the drum, but only sometimes. Removed all drain lines and checked for obstructions, replaced the belt, and removed the pump and was trying to convince myself that the impeller vanes were worn down enough to cause a no-drain situation. Talked with the repairman at my favorite used appliance store, who pointed me at the nipple for the hose leading from the drum to the pump. The nipple is sheet metal and rolled in at the edge to give a soft starting point for the hose. The rolled in edges were just the right size to catch a penny and have it act as a butterfly valve. A good tug with vicegrips and the problem was solved. Betcha I've thrown away several washers that had that exact problem.

I purchased a top loader high efficiency machine a little over a year ago since the front loaders are too deep to fit in my utility closet. It is not that great and the manufacturer recommends running a cleaning cycle every time the clean washer light comes on with a product called Affresh (costs about $3-4 per tablet). After a short while my dark clothing started coming out with residue on them and not just lint. I always leave the lid open to allow it to dry and prevent musty smells. Last summer after a trip to the beach I put a pair of socks with sand in them (after shaking out as much as possible) and the wash cycle equally distributed the sand over all the clothes. My clothes have never been so wrinkled in decades since I hang to dry many of my clothes and don't put them in the dryer. About the only good thing is the rebate and tax credit on this machine. After reading some discussions on a forum (home and garden web) discussing problems with mainly front loaders I am now cleaning my washer with a cup of powdered Cascade for it's cleaning cycles and planning to switch to a powdered detergent once I finish the liquids I already bought. Often I need to run extra rinses or a soak and rinse to get sand or stains or dirt out.

Some people with the musty smell issue in their towels or clothing have been able to eliminate it with Smelly Washer which is a cleaner that supposedly eliminates the problem if used on a regular basis. Amazon reviewers give the product an average 4 star rating from 8 reviews.

We love ours, very efficient and no issues with musty smells.

I should point out that we should properly refer to washers as "horizontal axis" or "vertical axis" machines. The Staber is a "top loader" but it is a horizontal-axis machine so it washes clothes like a front-loader. Except it has no need for waterproof doors, big rubber seals, and both ends of the drum are marvelously suspended by a stout and easy-to-access bearing unlike any front-loader. But, I digress . . .

W2R,
You're speed reading again, aren't ya:)? Powerplay is having fits with a top-loader.

Aaagh!! Sorry, Powerplay. I read top-loader but what registered was front-loader. Oops. :facepalm: I'll go back and delete the post.

Yep, mine is a top loader, Maytag Bravos made by Whirlpool I believe. No agitator, it jossles the clothes around and supposedly through the water. A part of adjusting to the new machine was reading the manual and loading the washer differently than before which helped with the excessive tangling. I still don't think it does a very good job although early on some of it was operator error.

Not sure what I'll do next time I need a new washer, maybe move. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It is good to read that so many are happy with their FL machines though!

Yep, mine is a top loader, Maytag Bravos made by Whirlpool

Four years ago I decided to get all new kitchen appliances . I bought Maytag . If you wonder where the Maytag repair guy is ,he is not resting he's at my house . So far the microwave stopped working . The dishwasher broke and the oven baking unit burnt out and the handle on the oven broke off . I am done with Maytag . Years ago I had Maytag appliances and they lasted forever . Now they are disposable .

Four years ago I decided to get all new kitchen appliances . I bought Maytag . If you wonder where the Maytag repair guy is ,he is not resting he's at my house . So far the microwave stopped working . The dishwasher broke and the oven baking unit burnt out and the handle on the oven broke off . I am done with Maytag . Years ago I had Maytag appliances and they lasted forever . Now they are disposable .

Wow, that is just too much. I don't blame you for not wanting anything that says Maytag in your house.

Bought a Maytag Neptune pair before the washer had a design correction of a drain put in the front area to drain excess water left after the washer is done with the cycle.

The washer has a perpetual musty/moldy smell problem. Eventually they offered a drain hose retrofit kit for $100.

This washer also causes long wrinkles in jeans and other clothes that do not come out in the dryer.

This has made me very wary of buying a front loader again...

The dryer has lost an interior fin.

We purchased the set before Whirlpool bought Maytag, so maybe they are better now, but I'm probably avoiding Maytag in the future.

For those who have the front load LG (and I forget the other brand) that you're happy with - you don't experience the long (lengthwise) wrinkles in jeans...?

DW's new Samsung front loaders were scheduled for delivery today. A minor fiasco. They put the wrong bases on the truck. Driver goes back to the loading docks, finds out there are no matching bases. So they ask if they can re-schedule for next week.

Wife was off swimming, I told them sure. Don't want a half assed setup. DW gets home, after understanding the problem burns up the phone line and some poor sap's ears.

So we wait.

do washing machines really use 60 gallons/load? good golly.

Just got my second water bill since getting our LG frontloader. I've started watering our garden quite a bit and our water usage is still down 2 units below normal. That 1500 gallons less per month. We average 8-10 loads per week. Makes sense...40 gallons saved times 40 loads

;)

Its DW's responsibility to check pockets for coins since she does the laundry, regardless of whose clothes they are in. I've explained this to her several times without much luck. She doesn't see it my way - she says that I should check my own pants. This issue is a problem at our house.

Bought a Maytag Neptune pair before the washer had a design correction of a drain put in the front area to drain excess water left after the washer is done with the cycle.

The washer has a perpetual musty/moldy smell problem. Eventually they offered a drain hose retrofit kit for $100.

This washer also causes long wrinkles in jeans and other clothes that do not come out in the dryer.

I had the same musty/moldy smell problem. My new drain hose took care it.

DW's new Samsung front loaders were scheduled for delivery today. A minor fiasco. They put the wrong bases on the truck. Driver goes back to the loading docks, finds out there are no matching bases. So they ask if they can re-schedule for next week.

Wife was off swimming, I told them sure. Don't want a half assed setup. DW gets home, after understanding the problem burns up the phone line and some poor sap's ears.

So we wait.

We also went with Samsung front loaders with matching pedestals purchased from Sears. They are scheduled to be delivered next week. I sure hope the delivery and installation go smooothly, because our current washer is broken. If we have to go much longer without a washer, I'll be down at the river beating our clothes on a rock.;)

Its DW's responsibility to check pockets for coins since she does the laundry, regardless of whose clothes they are in. I've explained this to her several times without much luck. She doesn't see it my way - she says that I should check my own pants. This issue is a problem at our house.

And if you push the issue, you'll be offered laundry duty. Guess how I know that.

And no, it won't help to respond " OK, instead of cutting the grass properly, repairing the furnace properly, managing investments properly, loading the water softener properly, maintaining the cars properly, etc, etc, etc - you can do those tasks for me....". But I am guessing on that one, even I have developed enough sense to keep my mouth shut on some things.

Some things you just need to be flexible on - that's not easy for me on things like this, where the consequences are worse than the few seconds it takes to check.

-ERD50

Some things you just need to be flexible on - that's not easy for me on things like this, where the consequences are worse than the few seconds it takes to check.

-ERD50

Yea, those couches get lumpy. :LOL:

And if you push the issue, you'll be offered laundry duty. Guess how I know that.

And no, it won't help to respond " OK, instead of cutting the grass properly, repairing the furnace properly, managing investments properly, loading the water softener properly, maintaining the cars properly, etc, etc, etc - you can do those tasks for me....". But I am guessing on that one, even I have developed enough sense to keep my mouth shut on some things.

-ERD50
Like you, I've learned a lot over the years how to handle these issues. I just have to remind myself that she is always right .

I think the first line of defence should be emptying your own pockets. The second line of defence should be DW checking that all pockets are empty. That way you have built in redundancy in the coin removal system, thereby mitigating the risk of [-]a catastrophic event [/-]washer malfunction. :angel:

I think the first line of defence should be emptying your own pockets. The second line of defence should be DW checking that all pockets are empty. That way you have built in redundancy in the coin removal system, thereby mitigating the risk of [-]a catastrophic event [/-]washer malfunction. :angel:

Thanks - Ok, I agree. I guess I'm partially to blame. Your solution is the same as MIL, SIL, and all the women at work. but it is frustrating to have taken this thing apart about a dozen times

This is how we were brought up - - didn't matter if one was a boy or a girl, we were expected to empty our pockets before our mother laundered our clothes, and this from a very early age. Anything found by our mother when doing laundry became hers, not ours. Interesting how people are brought up differently from one another.

Back
Top Bottom