Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I had my eye on a gentleman's chest (sort of a small wardrobe with drawers to fit in a small space) for so long that by the time I went to buy it, the floor model was the only one left, at half Macy's usual sale price. How many jokes can you make of that?
ah...an opening line...

the most memorable time i had my eye on a gentleman's chest was... Sean Connery with his shirt off in one of his younger days James Bond movies.

but he definitely was not on the floor, nor was he half price. darn it!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #22

There's always the guys selling furniture out of truck trailers in the mall parking lot.

They claim to be from NC but I wouldn't know....

Old 09-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
There's always the guys selling furniture out of truck trailers in the mall parking lot.

They claim to be from NC but I wouldn't know....

I'll pass on that !
Old 09-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Moemg,

I bought most of my furniture from an online place located in Newport News, VA. I picked out what I wanted in the local stores and then went on line and bought it. I got it for about 50% of what it was in the stores. The freight charges were about equal to what the taxes would have been if bought in the stores. The delivery drivers unloaded and set it up. The down side was the wait time. I had to wait about 6 weeks for delivery. But then it was being delivered from NC and I am in Texas. The company I did business with is North Carolina Furniture For Less.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

That is what my daughter did. A couple pieces arrived damaged, they brought out replacements on the next truck. Some trouble but probably no different than if she had purchased locally.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We were lucky I guess. We had two large deliveries from NCFFL and did not have any damage or errors. We ordered a bedroom suite from a local furniture store and every piece had damage on it when delivered. It was kind of funny, my husband wanted to go with the local store because he feared we would wait for months and then it would be damaged if we ordered online.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I do not care about the wait as I need to paint the room and get rid of the other furniture before the new items arrive . I'm going to check out a few local stores in the next few days and then go online and calculate the savings . Thanks everybody !
Old 09-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I found that the local furniture stores have gotten wise to people like me. They no longer put the manufacturer and style on the furniture in the showrooms. You have to ask who makes this and which line it is. They know that people are window shopping in their show rooms and then going online to make their purchases.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

When times are "bad" is THE time to hit local Auction houses... or Estate Sales for that matter.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

And consignment shops.