Furniture

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
I've been doing some sprucing up of my house and I decided to buy new family room furniture . With the economy so bad do you think the furniture stores will be willing to deal and how low should I start negotiations at ? I'm looking at mid range furniture probably Lexington or Broyhill .

A lot of the mid to high end furniture is 'made to order' so they dont suffer much from holding inventory in bad times. I'm a pretty good bargainer/negotiator and I've never been able to get furniture outfits to go much further than whatever their sale prices are.

Best deals I've gotten on furniture was through the warehouse clubs.

Have you tried doing some scrounging first on Craigslist? A few weeks back, I happened to be poking around on the site local to where a US relative lives and saw a decent amount of newer stuff on offer.

I really like the deals I get from an outfit in NC called Holton's. They carry a lot of lines and prices with shipping were 30% less than I could buy for locally in Phoenix area. I have bought a lot of items from them and had them shipped. Please feel free to check them out. This is a great way to get just what you know you want without breaking the bank.

Try telling them you need some furniture right away. If you find something you like, they give you the price and it's too high, tell them so. See if they'll negotiate...if they balk, tell them you need to leave as you have to find an accommodating store to fit your needs. That might change their attitude.

It worked for me once. Just once. :p

+1 on Craigslist -- definitely worth a look.

If you don't want to do the craigslist or garage sale route...determine what you want to buy (style, manufacturer etc) do an internet search (google) and find lowest price, then go to a local retailer and ask if they will match the price you found online. (take printout with you). Also, you may want to check out furnitureland South in NC. (no credit cards) they have a website and you can call and speak with a sales rep to price out what you want.

Jim

I had my eye on a gentleman's chest (sort of a small wardrobe with drawers to fit in a small space) for so long that by the time I went to buy it, the floor model was the only one left, at half Macy's usual sale price. How many jokes can you make of that?

I really like the deals I get from an outfit in NC called Holton's. They carry a lot of lines and prices with shipping were 30% less than I could buy for locally in Phoenix area. I have bought a lot of items from them and had them shipped. Please feel free to check them out. This is a great way to get just what you know you want without breaking the bank.

Thanks , I 've been wondering about North Carolina . I'll check them out .

Thanks everybody , I will check out Craig's list . I'm not a big garage sale person but in this economy there might be some brand new furniture on there . We also have a local store that gets model furniture . I'll have to check that out .

I had my eye on a gentleman's chest (sort of a small wardrobe with drawers to fit in a small space) for so long that by the time I went to buy it, the floor model was the only one left, at half Macy's usual sale price. How many jokes can you make of that?

No jokes ! I love when I get a bargain like that !

-
I guess I can have my eye on a gentleman's chest on this forum as long as I don't try to photograph it!
I agree...I found out what trouble that can bring! So, I've started sketching again...problem is, the dang fellers won't sit still long enough. :p

Oh wait, you were talking about furniture....nm.....

Ditto North Carolina. There are a number of dealers that will discount the furniture significantly. If you live on the east coast, many will deliver also (of course there is a fee).

Just don't buy any furniture that's made in China during the monsoon season. Apparently, they overdosed the anti-fungus treatment and it's irritating the skin of some Frenchmen.

Mike D.

In Portland, OR there is an upscale consignment store with photos on the internet. They have a beautiful Stickley dining room set that I would buy in a heartbeat if I weren't in the down-size phase of life. They have lots of furniture of all styles. For antiques I would go to the local auction house, again Portland has one with an online catalogue. That is the route I would go today. [Born too soon.]

If you have a taste for vintage furniture look for Heywood on Craig's list. Seattle has had the best pickings recently. I suspect this is a generational thing.

Attachments

• the fed signal.jpg
    the fed signal.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 5
In Portland, OR there is an upscale consignment store with photos on the internet. They have a beautiful Stickley dining room set that I would buy in a heartbeat if I weren't in the down-size phase of life. They have lots of furniture of all styles. For antiques I would go to the local auction house, again Portland has one with an online catalogue. That is the route I would go today. [Born too soon.]

If you have a taste for vintage furniture look for Heywood on Craig's list. Seattle has had the best pickings recently. I suspect this is a generational thing.

I'm into shabby chic coastal furniture . I do need to check out our one store that gets lots of model furniture from the defunct builders . Of course if the market continues tanking I'll just keep the furniture I have .

Getting a lot of wear outta that searchlight, aren't you CFB?

Also, if you aren't squeamish about second-hand, check out Habitat Restores in upscale areas. At the place I worked, we used to get tons of nice wicker Henry Link stuff out of houses on Kiawah Island (our fancy resort island nearby). When folks decide to stop just coming on vacation to their houses and move in permanently, they often bring their own furniture and ditch the quite nice stuff that doesn't fit.

I learned a lot about quality furniture working there--one tip--turn whatever it is over and check out how it is put together underneath. That will tell you a lot about quality and workmanship.

ah...an opening line...

the most memorable time i had my eye on a gentleman's chest was... Sean Connery with his shirt off in one of his younger days James Bond movies. :D

but he definitely was not on the floor, nor was he half price. darn it!

There's always the guys selling furniture out of truck trailers in the mall parking lot.

They claim to be from NC but I wouldn't know....

Moemg,

I bought most of my furniture from an online place located in Newport News, VA. I picked out what I wanted in the local stores and then went on line and bought it. I got it for about 50% of what it was in the stores. The freight charges were about equal to what the taxes would have been if bought in the stores. The delivery drivers unloaded and set it up. The down side was the wait time. I had to wait about 6 weeks for delivery. But then it was being delivered from NC and I am in Texas. The company I did business with is North Carolina Furniture For Less.

That is what my daughter did. A couple pieces arrived damaged, they brought out replacements on the next truck. Some trouble but probably no different than if she had purchased locally.

Back
Top Bottom