Gabrielle Giffords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
What an awful day:(

I know we're all hoping she recovers and are sad for those who were injured and died today.

My thoughts and prayers go out to their families and loved ones.

What an awful day:(

I know we're all hoping she recovers and are sad for those who were injured and died today.

My thoughts and prayers go out to their families and loved ones.
+4!

Ha

Violence like this is beyond senseless. How the shooter was able to maim/kill so many people so quickly just boggles the mind.

So very sad for so many families. Praying for them all.

Yes, all very sad. The news on the medical condition of Rep Giffords is better than I'd feared after the first reports.
Best wishes for her recovery and for all those who were injured.

Nothing can be said that will ease the pain of this tragedy.

Those who have lost their lives would want us to find out why this happened, learn from it, and become a better society.

There is more to this than meets the eye.

There were juvenile inflammatory statements made, some in print, about 'targeting' this woman. Nut case though the perp may be, a connection is apparent.

If I were her husband, I would bring out some 'guns' of my own. Maybe you can say what you want in the USA, but you cannot escape responsibility/liability for inspiring violent acts.

Or can you? How many Wahabbi clerics are still on US soil?

Ed, I predict your post is the first shout in the hog-calling contest. The thread will move from sympathetic to political as others will chime in to support or disagree with your opinion, the mud wrestling will intensify and Porky will have the last word.

I think it a shame I've become so jaundiced, but that's how the posting pattern typically goes.

Ed, I predict your post is the first shout in the hog-calling contest. The thread will move from sympathetic to political as others will chime in to support or disagree with your opinion, the mud wrestling will intensify and Porky will have the last word.

I think it a shame I've become so jaundiced, but that's how the posting pattern typically goes.

Let's please not let this happen.

Maybe, but I hope not. This is one of those events which is, in some way, an attack on all of us and an attack on our system, regardless of our political affiliations. And the human tragedy element of it should, IMO, allow good people to rise far above the [-]gutter[/-] need to fire off gratuitous partisan arguments or capitalize on a tragedy to score political points.

I hope we can show enough respect for the dead and injured to not turn this into a mosh pit.

An senseless attack on democracy and a loss for us all. My thoughts go to the families who are paying the price for this craziness.

This is a stunning tragedy - I would be inclined to attend just such an event and bring my kids along...puts a chill in you...

Just learned one of the victims was a little 9 year old girl...totally breaks my heart.

9-year-old victim of deadly rampage identified | KVOA.com | Tucson, Arizona

Absolutely. Just stunningly sad.

I've been trying to catch up on the background, apparently the shooter is not talking. It's tough for me to see this as being actually politically related other than in the most tenuous twisted way in the shooter's mind, considering a 9 YO a 79YO and two 76 YOs were also killed, but we may never know. (edit - that last sentence was not in response to any other post that came in while I was typing this, it was just my feelings, not looking to escalate that further at all)

I've attended these kinds of 'meet and greets' with my reps. It does give you a chill. I hope I can look at this as a horrific, but random event. A local rep was on TV this AM - she said she will not let this get between her and meeting her constituents. Good for her, yet I would respect her position if she felt differently. What a tragedy.

-ERD50

A true horror.

I was living in Tucson some 10 years ago or so when a deranged nursing student started shooting in class, killing a nursing instructor and injuring others before shooting himself in the head. I knew the guy from a nearby dog park where we both took our dogs. A bunch of us were in a lockdown situation for hours. This latest event brings back the sickening feelings I remember from then.

My heart goes out to the victims and the community.

Wahoo & Ziggy,

I tried to take care to phrase my thoughts non-politically.

There are enough madmen in the world. IMHO it is irresponsible to encourage them.

This is one of those events which is, in some way, an attack on all of us and an attack on our system, regardless of our political affiliations.
Ziggy, my sentiments exactly.

The thread will move from sympathetic to political ...

James Fallows has the best take on this:

The Cloudy Logic of 'Political' Shootings

Shootings of political figures are by definition "political." That's how the target came to public notice; it is why we say "assassination" rather than plain murder.

But it is striking how rarely the "politics" of an assassination (or attempt) match up cleanly with the main issues for which a public figure has stood.

A true horror.

I was living in Tucson some 10 years ago or so when a deranged nursing student started shooting in class, killing a nursing instructor and injuring others before shooting himself in the head. I knew the guy from a nearby dog park where we both took our dogs. A bunch of us were in a lockdown situation for hours. This latest event brings back the sickening feelings I remember from then.

My heart goes out to the victims and the community.

Rich, I remember that tragic day. I live nearby where the shooting took place yesterday and was planning to pass by the strip mall about the time it took place but was delayed.

Very sad day here.

Ck 6

I truly hope that this was a random act of a lone, deranged man. It is too depressing to think that there may be more to it.

What an awful day for the country!

Yesterday, in searching the Web to learn more about this tragedy, I ran across a Web site where a reporter was able to get to the killer's blog or some of his Web posts before the authorities took them down. The non-sense postings of this guy were pure ramblings of a madman. Sad as it was, I doubt if we could ever do much to protect ourselves from such insanity.

I have lived in AZ for 38 years and love it here. Sad to see that some in national media (Navarette - CNN.com) are indicting all in AZ for this. There are many, many wonderful people of all stripes down here. WE will all get through this

I truly hope that this was a random act of a lone, deranged man. It is too depressing to think that there may be more to it.

What an awful day for the country!

I think it is usually an unstable person who goes to this level of extreme action, but the society that stokes the fires of an unstable person (on any side of political spectrum) with extreme rhettoric gives them something to latch onto.

I have lived in AZ for 38 years and love it here. Sad to see that some in national media (Navarette - CNN.com) are indicting all in AZ for this. There are many, many wonderful people of all stripes down here. WE will all get through this

Yeah, sure. That's what you all say. (I remember this from the 9-11 days.)

Its a horrible tragedy. I pray for all of the victims and hope the survivors recover fully. I also hope this doesn't disuede politicians from holding these events or their constituents from attending in the future.

As for the politics that will surely be interjected into this story (not here necessarily), it doesn't matter whether this guy was a right wing wacko, left wing wacko, Tea Partier, PETA member, immigration activist, gun nut, disgruntled voter or just good 'ol insane. Deciding to harm another human being except in self defense or defense of another in imminent danger, whatever the reason, is wrong. Sick people do sick things and to try and use something like this to further a political point of view is inexcusable.

I have no doubt many will try, however.

Its a horrible tragedy. I pray for all of the victims and hope the survivors recover fully. I also hope this doesn't disuede politicians from holding these events or their constituents from attending in the future.

As for the politics that will surely be interjected into this story (not here necessarily), it doesn't matter whether this guy was a right wing wacko, left wing wacko, Tea Partier, PETA member, immigration activist, gun nut, disgruntled voter or just good 'ol insane. Deciding to harm another human being except in self defense or defense of another in imminent danger, whatever the reason, is wrong. Sick people do sick things and to try and use something like this to further a political point of view is inexcusable.

I have no doubt many will try, however.

Flyflishnevada, I think much the same as you dude. Let's try to learn from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom