Garbage Disposer

We have the 3/4 hp Insinkerator and like it because it is much quieter than the cheap one that came with the house. We replaced it at the time we had the stainless sink that was looking pretty bad replaced with a porcelain one. I think the disposer install was free because the guy had everything apart anyway to replace the sink.

If your faced with freplacing an existing disposal, the easiest is to get exactly the same model so one doesn't need to redo plumbing etc.

That said, in my first house, I had to repeatedly take apart the plumbing to clear clogs caused by a poor performing Insikerator disposal. Finally learned not to put potato pealing through the disposal. When that unit ceased up, replaced it with a unit made by Anaheim Manufacturing (Bone Crusher). Never had a another clog.

Few years later met my soon to be wife, we moved into her house after marrriage and I was back to unclogging plumbing from her ISE disposal. A few years later we custom built a home and installed an Anaheim disposal.Never had a single problem. Moved to PA and the house we purchased had an Insinkerator.....and back to clearing clogs. Replaced it with an Anaheim unit, and never cleared another clogged kitchen pipe.

I will never consider an Insinkerator POS for any house I own.

Their are only two manufacturers of home disposals in the US, Insinkerator and Anaheim. Virtually all brand are made by one of these two companies. Currently have an Anaheim unit that is sold on under the GE brand, half horse, not bottom of line model GFC530, has some sound insulation

See this article for more details: Appliance411 Repair Parts: Part Showcase: Garbage Disposer/Disposal by In-Sink-Erator, Kenmore, Emerson, Badger, KitchenAid, G.E. and others at www.appliance411.com

Last edited:
...........I will never consider an Insinkerator POS for any house I own...........
When I bought my house 26 years ago, the previous owner had just installed a new Insinkerator disposal. It has and does work flawlessly. Having it plumbed right is a big part of preventing clogs. It needs a straight shot out of the disposal - not a bunch of not a bunch of twists and turns.

When I bought my house 26 years ago, the previous owner had just installed a new Insinkerator disposal. It has and does work flawlessly. Having it plumbed right is a big part of preventing clogs. It needs a straight shot out of the disposal - not a bunch of not a bunch of twists and turns.

Those "Y" or "T" fittings were where the clogs usually were. But a non-issue with the Anaheim disposers with the same fittings.

Just one man's 30 years experience with these things.

Last edited:
As I said, selling a house is a competitive game. I never said and never would say that discounts, other features etc. could not close thee gap, It does seem odd to me though that someone would worry about failure of a disposal. If it is not a desired feature, why worry about its failure?

lol +1

I just purchased a new house 3 years ago. I must have gone through 100 house and didn't run across any house without one, lol and I live in a city with an abundance of house built in the late 1700's

anyhoo, yes a disposal is a convenience, so is sirrius radio, my big screen tv and my garage opener, doesn't make in inherently unworthy.

op, I sprang for a bigger model for the quietness. Now I only have trash pickup once a week and since I live in a city townhome my weekly trash goes into the garage. I prefer not to have rotting food sitting in the garage, stinking it up all week, so I throw most food trash down the disposal.

Yes the extra money was worth it to me

Thank you all for your feedback. I was surprise how many people did not even have/use a garbage disposer. It did not cross my mind to not have one. Always had one in all the houses I lived in, even as a kid. I'm sure I'm pretty sure we could get by without one, but it would be a too hard of sale to the DW :)... I was able to pick up the higher end InSinkErator 3/4hp for $100 on Amazon which is only $25 higher then the lower end 1/2hp. Just glade it was not a $500 appliance :)..

Replaced my 1/3 hp Badger with a 1/3 hp Badger. 15 minute job.
New on is quieter but never thought it an issue anyway.

Back
Top Bottom