Garmin

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have had a Garmin for years, it is well past the point of map support, so we decided to purchase a new one and add a map of Scandinavia (where we will be going Friday). No problem updating the US map included in our purchase BUT Garmin will not recognize the password I set when registering the product and has not provided the promised temporary password necessary to log on.

What gives:confused:

This weekend I bought two Garmin Drive 5" USA LM EX GPS Navigator's for two sons. I downloaded Garmin Express. Gave it our e-mail address. Registered the two devices and updated the software and maps. No password was needed. I guess since the devices were connected and Garmin saw the unique serial numbers, that is secure enough. Even if someone stole a GPS and had our e-mail address, all they could really do is update the device. Not much harm there. Maybe you have a different work process.

I need to purchase the Nordic map. That is where I am having an issue.

Garmin themselves can't help? I'd think they'd be able to help better than we could, and I've had several Garmin devices. Best of luck.

Might a non-US map update be another purchase requirement? Just a guess.

Who knows as they do not recognize my password and their password recovery tool isn't working. I cannot access my account!!

I need to purchase the Nordic map. That is where I am having an issue.

I bought the Swiss/Austrian alps map a couple of months ago and had no problems at all. Are you using the Garmin Express software?

Although Garmin support can be difficult to get on the phone, only available on certain days. They also can be reached thru messaging. They do provide top notch support on their toys.

I finally got through on the phone with a rep. She, basically, told me to log on as if I had no account and establish a password. Then I purchased the map which they said would be available in 24-48 hours. Eh? Gosh, I hope it will download in enough time for me to catch my flight on Friday.

For a global company not to have customer service reps available on weekends is crazy.

FWIW my son received one of the first GPS units available to the public from Garmin as a graduation award from Cal Maritime. Before that it was top secret technology.

Seems like with phones, Garmin's map days are numbered. I took one with me to see the solar eclipse thinking it would work better if no cell service. It probably would have at least worked, but the phones we able to "see" which roads had more traffic on them and plan a route accordingly. Garmin doesn't do that (to my knowledge). They do make a good product though. I have the lifetime maps on my GPS and I have a golf GPS. Still, seems like the phone being the one machine with multi purpose will win out.

Seems like with phones, Garmin's map days are numbered. I took one with me to see the solar eclipse thinking it would work better if no cell service. It probably would have at least worked, but the phones we able to "see" which roads had more traffic on them and plan a route accordingly. Garmin doesn't do that (to my knowledge). They do make a good product though. I have the lifetime maps on my GPS and I have a golf GPS. Still, seems like the phone being the one machine with multi purpose will win out.

I have one of their units built into a 2017 Honda. Does get "real time traffic", but only in metro areas. My home is not in one of those places though :(

Like you, have found Google and Apple maps able to provide more reliable traffic conditions and routing.

In case you do not get the maps in time, I suggest a smart phone with Google maps as a back-up. You may have to buy a local SIM card. Everyone in Scandinavia has a cell phone and coverage is quite good even in areas that seem remote.

We are leaving Scandinavia and heading home today after a fabulous 3 week trip. We relied on my Google Fi cell service, which worked seamlessly. Data was $10 per GB, same as at home, and I ended up using about .5G more than in a typical 3 week period at home, and it was totally worth the $5. Google maps gave us very reliable walking and transit directions in all 5 countries we visited.

Same with built in car nav, my iPhone is better than our Toyota nav systems at finding places/giving directions AND it updates constantly - unlike the built in nav systems I've seen/had which never update unless you pay some exorbitant fee. I don't want to pay for the built in nav in our next car, but they've all bundled them with other options DW wants, so we're trapped for now.

Same with built in car nav, my iPhone is better than our Toyota nav systems at finding places/giving directions AND it updates constantly - unlike the built in nav systems I've seen/had which never update unless you pay some exorbitant fee.
That's the advantage of using your phone or a free-standing Nav system (Garmin, Tom-Tom, etc.) In car Nav systems have always been a total rip-off.

I have a free-standing Garmin and in urban areas it does send alerts regarding traffic and construction. If a community doesn't have a public web site that carries that info, then, the Garmen, Google, etc. can't read the data and send the alert.

.......... I don't want to pay for the built in nav in our next car, but they've all bundled them with other options DW wants, so we're trapped for now.
My car (Highlander) has the ability to syc with a smartphone to use the dashboard display as a GPS. Seems like a better alternative than the more expensive built in GPS navigation. I have not used it though, as I'm happy with my Garmin with traffic updates.

Not a fan of automobile navi systems. In North America the software is out of date in a few years. The hardware technology is out of date on delivery, or shortly thereafter.

Honda wanted $$$$ to upgrade our 2006 Navi system. It is a complete rip off. No doubt Honda pays something like $35. to a third party and then marks it up.

Replaced it with a Garmin. Much better technology, lifetime map updates, etc. for less than the system in the car. Cannot imagine opting for a Navi option unless of course it was bundled and I had no choice if I wanted the sunroof or whatever.

We never travel outside NA with our cell phones. We have a six year old Garmin with European maps. We take this with us. It has paid for itself many times over. It has also saved our marriage a few time while driving in Italy and in Turkey.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom