Get 2GB extra in Google Drive with security check

target2019

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Below is a link to an article that describes a security check you can go through and earn an additional 2GB of storage in your Google account.
This has to be done by Feb. 17 to get the additional storage.

Google Drive Blog: A quick checkup and a simple thanks

The extra storage will show up at the end of February, they wrote.

Thanks. That was fairly painless.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Yes, that's good to know about. I would have missed the Amazon Prime and Verizon deals without reading of them here. The VZ one didn't apply to me but I told some friends and they were happy to get it.

I checked the Drive one and it said "You're all set" without me doing anything. Then I remembered I'd gone through the security thing there a month or so ago, so I guess I'll find out later if my quota will be increased.

I might be jumping the gun, but I'd made a note to myself (plug for a free iTouch/iPhone app called "Errands") to check my Drive quota after February.

It's the same as before (15 GB), not a big deal for me because it says I am using 0% of my old quota currently (only Sheets, small Docs, and some email). Still, it's like shaving a fund expense ratio by a small fraction.

Did anyone get the free space yet?

I do not see it either.

In 2006, 2GB flash memory cost about $30. If you lost it, tough luck. Probably only worked in your PC or notebook.

In 2014, 32GB flash memory cost about $12.00. You probably have a dozen USB flash memory sticks laying around. Can't find one when you need one.

In 2015 you get free 2GB online storage from DropBox, or free 15GB from Google. MS, Apple, etc. all give away online storage. You can access the files from phone, tablet, notebook or desktop. Pretty amazing.

Got my 2GB of increased storage in the emails this morning. :)

Learned an interesting thing from this article:

7 best cloud storage services 2015: Dropbox vs Google Drive - PC Advisor

First, the ratings are kinda suspect. What you use in the way of cloud storage probably depends on your platform. And the maximum storage will surely change as each gets more competitive. Then there is the max file size you can upload. But the article lists other (less known) cloud storage options.

I didn't know that smaller photos don't count against your g-drive account limit. Same with docs you create with Sheets, etc. Reference here:

https://support.google.com/picasa/answer/6558?hl=en

I use g-drive more than the other big names. I think I'm topped out with iCloud, dropbox and google drive at this time.

And I got the extra 2GB on two gmail accounts.

That IS interesting! I had no idea Sheets didn't count against the limit. That means I can list every single gold ingot I own, one per row.

Got my e-mail yesterday for the 2GB increase.

That IS interesting! I had no idea Sheets didn't count against the limit. That means I can list every single gold ingot I own, one per row.
Other ideas:
- 8-track library
- Cost basis of 100,000+ penny collection
- Private database of E-R members, etc.
- Personal genome library
- HC email quick reference

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Just got my notice of the extra 2GB, and I didn't even complete the security checklist. When they asked for my mobile phone number I balked and refused to complete the questions at that point. They still gave me the extra GBs!

Well, there is no joy in Mudville. I didn't get the two-fer-nuttin.

I'll email them this week and ask if they just forgot about us poor urchins. Can't hurt!

I never did get the free extra storage in Google Drive (boo!).

That's OK. One of my morning adventures this week was to buy my first external hard drive and get it set up to be shared between a PC and Mac. I'll post about that in a separate thread (unless one on the topic exists already).

I never did get the free extra storage in Google Drive (boo!).

That's OK. One of my morning adventures this week was to buy my first external hard drive and get it set up to be shared between a PC and Mac. I'll post about that in a separate thread (unless one on the topic exists already).

I think you'll get the extra space if you persist.

I popped an unused 32GB flash drive into a Netgear router, and that has been a big help. How big are you going with the external?

I think you'll get the extra space if you persist.

I popped an unused 32GB flash drive into a Netgear router, and that has been a big help. How big are you going with the external?

I'm sure you're right about flash devices - I have quite a few unused laying around but I think the 15GB I already have in Google Drive should be fine for me, especially after learning the additional information you posted about what actually counts against your quota.

I bought a 4TB Western Digital MyBook and the initial backup of my PC is proceeding as I type (boo=>yay!).

The flash drive is used to pass things to/fro various devices. I thought of that when you mentioned pc/Mac...

Your 4TB is seriously more flashy than the storage I have laying around.

Well, the Mac is only (as yet) in my dreams, and will likely be an iMac. I follow that stuff occasionally on macrumors.com

The MyBook comes preformatted in the box as one huge partition. I am giving 1TB to the PC and leaving the other 3TB for the Mac (generous PC allotment that reflects my opinion of the two operating systems).

Well, the Mac is only (as yet) in my dreams, and will likely be an iMac. I follow that stuff occasionally on macrumors.com

The MyBook comes preformatted in the box as one huge partition. I am giving 1TB to the PC and leaving the other 3TB for the Mac (generous PC allotment that reflects my opinion of the two operating systems).

Keep us posted on the Mac--I am contemplating a Mac in the near future and will be interested in what you decide.

Back
Top Bottom