Gift ideas - cheap but unique

Sometimes it is the gift that keeps on giving with solitications. Personally I'd rather just dispense with the gift giving and make my own charity donations but not in others' names.

Bestwife, It's wonderful you make charity donations. However, some people like to donate in the name of others. As the treasurer of our small charity group one of my responsibilities is to handle these donations and send out acknowledgement letters and cards to donors and those they wish to honor with their donations. When someone's pet dies often folks take some comfort in knowing a donation was made to the shelter where that beloved animal came from - to perhaps save another deserving dog, cat or other companion animal. These letters often bring tears to my eyes.

If someone wants to donate to a charity in my name, I wish they would ask me to whom I would like to donate the gift. I have specific charities I like, for example, animal shelters, or where I work. I didn't appreciate the time I received a gift for Christmas of $50 to the giver's own alumni organization in another state. I thought that was a bit strange.

Last edited:
I like to gift consumables also. I've given 4 of the 45 bottles of my homebrew already, and still need to make 19 wine stoppers.

I like to gift consumables also. I've given 4 of the 45 bottles of my homebrew already, and still need to make 19 wine stoppers.

Please include me on your gift list. I'll make a donation to the charity of your choice in return;)

A nice way to present a gift of a bottle of wine is to combine it with a medium size cheese block or ball and some fresh grapes, all tucked into a wicker basket with a nice big bow. :D

DW & I are volunteers with a large organization that provides animals to families to help them become sustainable. Just today we were at a church 'Alternate Chriatmas Fair'. We find ourselves and many others already have too much stuff. We know the reciepients preferences (growing plants or bees for the vegetarians). Now for the kids & grand kids they get gifts & a donation but we think it is good that everyone shares at this season and through the year. Older son's wife has MS and we always make donations to related groups durning the year. But for younger kids combining physical gifts and charity seems like a good idea to us.

Back
Top Bottom