Glenn Frey...dead at 67

Just teaches you the lesson of seeing these artists while you can. Dale Buffin Griffen the drummer for Mott The Hoople also died on Sunday. I was able to see them at their 2009 reunion shows. Dale was only able to play the encores due to alzheimers. 67, just like Glen, way too young to pass.

When I think American rock and roll, I think Eagles. Sure, there were other bands like, well, Jefferson Airplane (before) or Aerosmith/Boston (after), but the Eagles were one of the stalwarts of American R&R in the face of other bands like the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, and of course, Beatles/Rolling Stones. The Eagles were American R&R in the mid 70s and beyond.

Although I was a casual fan, I was never a fan of Glenn's songs. I hate to say this. To this day, I turn off his songs when they come on XM. I'm more of a Henley fan. And I like a lot of the Eagles songs that were mixtures of the guys and not just straight out Henley or Frey songs.

That said, this death really hit me. I'm almost 15 years younger, but still, this hits home. I may not have been a fan of Frey's songs, Eagles or solo, but I respected them for what they were. He was a huge force in American music from the mid 70's through the late 80's.

When I think American rock and roll, I think Eagles. Sure, there were other bands like, well, Jefferson Airplane (before) or Aerosmith/Boston (after), but the Eagles were one of the stalwarts of American R&R in the face of other bands like the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, and of course, Beatles/Rolling Stones. The Eagles were American R&R in the mid 70s and beyond... this death really hit me. I'm almost 15 years younger, but still, this hits home...

Me too, along with the passing of David Bowie. We will see a lot more of this. Some of us grew up with these bands and all of their members are getting much older.

A true wake-up call, no? The "richest man in the graveyard" (yet true life unlived) warning rings loud and clear.

I wanted to see the Eagles in Oct. 2014, but DW wasn't too crazy about going. I figured I'd wait and talk her into it the next time around.

Hell really finally froze over. There is no re-do on this.

I'm still not happy about the Eagles being part of the huge inflation of concert prices. They were very much a factor in the inflation with the "Hell Freezes Over" tour. I've only been to a few sporadic concerts since this inflation.

Although I wanted to see the Eagles, I wanted no part in their greed, despite their holier than thou pronouncements.

Sounds harsh. It is. But I still recognize Frey as being a huge influence and world changer in the biz.

There is a good Eagles documentary on Netflix if anyone is interested.

When I think American rock and roll, I think Eagles. Sure, there were other bands like, well, Jefferson Airplane (before) or Aerosmith/Boston (after),

CCR? Grateful Dead, The Band (yes, mostly Canadian, but that is North America!)?

Although I was a casual fan, I was never a fan of Glenn's songs. I hate to say this. To this day, I turn off his songs when they come on XM. I'm more of a Henley fan. And I like a lot of the Eagles songs that were mixtures of the guys and not just straight out Henley or Frey songs.

Interesting. I like some Eagle's songs, really don't care for some others (too sappy/sweet/sing-songy for me). I looked at a list of the ones that Frey wrote, and I think we are in alignment there. Other than "Smuggler's Blues", the songs I see that I really don't care for are on that list of his composition. But still, he did some great work with the Eagles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_written_by_Glenn_Frey

"Already Gone" must be my favorite Eagle's tunes. And I don't think anyone mentioned the Linda Ronstadt connection (from wiki):

Another backing band featured players Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Bernie Leadon, and Randy Meisner, who went on to form the Eagles. They toured with her for a short period in 1971 and played on Linda Ronstadt, her self-titled third album,

I mistakenly thought that members of Linda's band, "The Stone Poneys" (sic - not Ponies) went on to form the Eagles, but it turns out they were two different backing bands.

-ERD50

A huge bummer. I recommend a documentary History of the Eagles (available via Netflix). It was a great documentary showing how the Eagles evolved. It has a lot of footages of them singing also.

Last edited:
This is happening way too frequently. I never saw them in concert. Enjoyed their music, but not what you would call a huge fan. I can sing along with most of their songs. I was more into Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Rolling Stones and Jethro Tull, to name a few. They were definitely talented, though.

In late '72-early '73, I was a DJ at a small-town country-format radio station. I used to get myself in trouble for playing Eagles' singles...

I'm sure you're aware that many people regard The Eagles as the precursor to the modern rock-oriented direction in country music.

Oh yeah, I saw them play once, just after Joe Walsh joined the band. They were opening for the Rolling Stones.

Oh yeah, I saw them play once, just after Joe Walsh joined the band. They were opening for the Rolling Stones.

Same here - in Milwaukee. I was never a huge fan of the Eagles but have to admit I was impressed when Joe joined them. He's quite the guitar player!

Same here - in Milwaukee. I was never a huge fan of the Eagles but have to admit I was impressed when Joe joined them. He's quite the guitar player!

It's worth noting, however, that much of the notable guitar work was Don Felder.

I'm sure you're aware that many people regard The Eagles as the precursor to the modern rock-oriented direction in country music.

Indeed, though I played Eagles/Poco/etc., some Dickey Betts' era Allman Brothers, and some early "outlaw" country well before they had "infiltrated" country music. Got in trouble for all of it, but it turned out I was ahead of my time.

I was more of a straight-ahead rock-n-roll guy in the 70s... Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, AC/DC, Rush. I also liked older 60s stuff with a heavy sound... Hendrix, Cream, Deep Purple, some Pink Floyd. Much later in the 80s and 90s, I started listening more carefully to some of the calmer sounds from the 70s like Steely Dan, The Eagles, and Tom Petty. I really liked what I heard, especially Steely Dan. I saw an Eagles concert on TV ~2005 and was absolutely amazed at the quality of the songwriting and musicianship. Kinda wish I paid more attention back in the day. RIP Mr. Frey.

Glenn Frey and Jackson Browne put Winslow, Arizona on the map in the Eagles' "Take it Easy"....."Standin on the Corner in Winslow Arizona...."

There's a tribute to the song downtown Winslow to include the flatbed Ford

Attachments

• m mar winslow az.jpg
    m mar winslow az.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 13

Ha! -- I was there! Same sentiment on the Eagles. It was an odd pairing with the Stones and (IIRC) the Chicago band Rufus with Chaka Khan.

Acute ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, and pneumonia, all at once. :(

I'm 67 too, and I don't know if I could survive all three at the same time. Any one of them would be a challenge for the average 67 year old, IMO.

What an awful way to go.

To be brutally honest, I am embarrassed to say this but I didn't even know his name until he passed away. I knew that I liked Eagles, but that was about it. That said, I loved his singing and his songs. These are songs that probably most of us have known and sung along with on the radio, and that touched each of our lives in one way or another. He left an indelible mark on American music as well as on the world.

Indeed, though I played Eagles/Poco/etc., some Dickey Betts' era Allman Brothers, and some early "outlaw" country well before they had "infiltrated" country music. Got in trouble for all of it, but it turned out I was ahead of my time.

BTW, my first job out of college was in radio too, but I was more in the support staff -- copywriting, ad traffic, etc. Great fun, but a real feast-or-famine business. The only guy in the place who was making decent money was the station manager. He was doing fine.

On the other end of the spectrum, the world's oldest man died today, at age 112.

The world record holder claimed the secret to a long life was to avoid drinking and smoking, adding: “The best thing to do is avoid overwork and live with joy.”
Sounds like he could have been an ER member.

BTW, my first job out of college was in radio too, but I was more in the support staff -- copywriting, ad traffic, etc. Great fun, but a real feast-or-famine business. The only guy in the place who was making decent money was the station manager. He was doing fine.

I was rolling in the dough at $2/hr! Indeed, enjoyed the j*b, but only a small number of DJs at large market stations ever make much...

Huge Fan;
Saw them in 1978 Houston saw them 6 more times up to 2010. Rip Glenn thank you for many good times as you played in the back ground
Timeless music

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom