dead batteries in 2023 rav 4 hybrid

I suspect that car companies are being "pushed" to start turning out more EVs and hybrids. In the process, stuff slips through the cracks. Additionally, it used to be, you bought a car, got in and drove it. You didn't really need the "book" because one car was pretty much like another. Now, they're not only all different, they're different from anything you ever drove before. You should absolutely sit down and read the manual before you drive the car. BUT, I'm sure Toyota doesn't want to insist you sit down and take an hour test on your car before they hand you the keys.

Keys what keys it now is a fob they hand you. This does provide one advantage when you get the car the door unlocks so you don't have to fumble for the key.

If the car is new enough, it may listen in on the fm band for signals that will reset the time. My 2016 malibu did this for example when crossing time zones.

Keys what keys it now is a fob they hand you. This does provide one advantage when you get the car the door unlocks so you don't have to fumble for the key.

Ummm... Not sure how to break this to you....

Many cars nowadays don't even have FM radio. Most stopped including AM radios about a decade ago. We have Internet streaming radio stations and music streaming services and Bluetooth and USB player.

The clock is set from the Internet time server or cellular network.

And cars don't come with fobs anymore. Many haven't for years. You use your phone as a key. All the same benefits of a fob. Just fewer things in your pocket.

I suspect that car companies are being "pushed" to start turning out more EVs and hybrids. In the process, stuff slips through the cracks.
There are a bunch of other regulations too, such as ozone/GWP regs on A/C. I won't blame the regulations, I blame the car companies for not investing into enough solid design talent.

The reason I mention Honda is because of all the people who are hot over their recent model Civic. During this hot summer, the forums are overflowing with people steaming mad.

What appears to have happened is that when Honda switched to R1234yf, it didn't beef up the metal enough in the condenser (and many people think evaporator too). The result is early failures. Honda has a you-have-to-ask-for-it warranty on the condenser, but not on the evaporator. Many people are reporting the evaporator is leaking too. As you know, the evaporator and/or heater core are perhaps the most difficult parts to replace in a car.

But I digress. https://www.vehiclehistory.com/articles/honda-civic-air-conditioning-recalls-to-know-about

BTW, anyone with home A/C is also seeing the result of these higher pressures. A/C just doesn't last like it used to as the systems struggle with the higher pressures.

I suspect that car companies are being "pushed" to start turning out more EVs and hybrids. In the process, stuff slips through the cracks. Additionally, it used to be, you bought a car, got in and drove it. You didn't really need the "book" because one car was pretty much like another. Now, they're not only all different, they're different from anything you ever drove before. You should absolutely sit down and read the manual before you drive the car. BUT, I'm sure Toyota doesn't want to insist you sit down and take an hour test on your car before they hand you the keys.

If it's a car you buy, it's not so bad. But if it's a rental car, oh well.

If the battery dies, with some cars people are trapped inside, unless they know the hidden lever or latch to let them escape.

Last edited:
THIS!!!!
We are gone months at a time, the 1.25 Amp battery maintainers on the jeep, the boat, the car, and the lawnmower are fully charged at all times.

+1 - our 2nd car sits for 3-4 months at a time and I use a cheap $9 battery maintainer on it. Starts with no problems.

Have a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited. Car has sat in my garage for up to a week, never had any issues with my batteries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom