Going completely wireless for Internet?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Many of you have 3G/4G connections in addition to cable/DSL/dial up/sat hard connections I'm sure. But have any you dropped all hard connections for a "hotspot" like Broadband Internet | 4G Mobile Broadband | DSL | Dial-Up | NetZero? I could use it for PC, iPad at home and traveling, at some cost savings ($10 to $40/mo savings). I know even 4G will be slower than cable modem, but I might be able to accept that in exchange for the savings. Bad idea?

I would ask how much data you are downloading:confused:

I have no way to know how much I use, but I bet it is more than a few gig...

As long as they remain metered, I'm not interested. My DSL connection costs about $30 a month with no meters running, and here I'd get less than 2 GB a month for that price.

Be careful with the 3G/4G connections. I use my Verizon phone as a hotspot while traveling and like it a lot but I am grandfathered in with unlimited data. Anyone starting with a smartphone now has metered charges and it gets pricey very fast (don't know about the rates on a dedicated 3G hotspot). Also the speed is as good as your location so test where you will use it most before you buy.

I was 3G only for a few years for lack of any reasonable alternative due to my rural location. That was prior to implementation of download limits by all the major carriers. Once the limits came along it became clear I needed another solution and I switched to wireless broadband. I'll never go back as long as limits are in place.

Be careful with the 3G/4G connections. I use my Verizon phone as a hotspot while traveling and like it a lot but I am grandfathered in with unlimited data. Anyone starting with a smartphone now has metered charges and it gets pricey very fast (don't know about the rates on a dedicated 3G hotspot). Also the speed is as good as your location so test where you will use it most before you buy.

Just curious, are you using "official/authorized" Verizon tethering software or taking a chance using some of the aftermarket (free) stuff? I think Verizon charges $15 or $20 per month for theirs. But they warn you that you're breaking the rules if you use any of the aftermarket stuff.

I'm also grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited 3G service with my smartphone. When traveling, the smartphone itself is OK for reading email, checking the markets, etc. But when we're looking at web sites to find our next campsite, get info on state and national parks, etc., I'd really like to have the laptop tethered to the smart phone to have the keyboard, mouse and larger display to use. The incremental $15 or $20 per month makes me cringe a bit though.

EDIT: No plans on giving up our inexpensive ($20) DSL at home. But 2 -3 months a year "home" turns into our camper and we're frequently far, far away from any Wifi access. Thus the smartphone and the urge to tether to the laptop.

Last edited:
I am not in a hurry to give up my cable internet. I do have a metered 3G/4G plan, but I could reach the monthly data limit on it in a matter of days.

I maxed out the 2GB plan on my Verizon 4G iPad in only 4 days while we were traveling (no free wifi access). And I was rationing my web surfing! I was careful to restrict bandwidth-intensive activities to my iPhone with unlimited 3G plan (if I add the hotspot option on my iPhone, my plan becomes metered, so I am leaving it as is)... In fact, I could max out my iPad's 2GB plan in about half an hour by downloading a single movie from iTunes...

Last edited:
I never paid attention to my data usage. I have 250GB but that never really registered. So I found my history, never knew how before now, and Jan thru Mar I used 8-11GB per month. I pay $50/mo for cable modem, and it's very fast. The top plan with NetZero is $50/mo and it's 4GB.

So I'm much better off sticking with the cable modem and wifi devices. I learned something today, that's a good thing. Thanks folks!

Last edited:
Great! Glad you found a resolution to the issue.

I was grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data plan when I got my iPhone. Still, I would not consider dropping my cable coverage, too. When it comes to LBYM efforts, computer and internet access are the last place for cutbacks for me, because I value them a great deal. Midpack, like you I really like my cable internet service and it is pretty fast.

Sometimes another way to cut back arises. As I have mentioned before in my posts, I am extremely close to ditching my landline phone. I am also considering ditching HBO/Showtime, since I have yet to watch even one movie or program on either during the year that I have had them. I can afford these channels, but if I am not using them then I might as well give the money to Catholic Charities who could probably find a better use for it.

Last edited:
Just curious, are you using "official/authorized" Verizon tethering software or taking a chance using some of the aftermarket (free) stuff? I think Verizon charges $15 or $20 per month for theirs. But they warn you that you're breaking the rules if you use any of the aftermarket stuff.

I'm also grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited 3G service with my smartphone. When traveling, the smartphone itself is OK for reading email, checking the markets, etc. But when we're looking at web sites to find our next campsite, get info on state and national parks, etc., I'd really like to have the laptop tethered to the smart phone to have the keyboard, mouse and larger display to use. The incremental $15 or $20 per month makes me cringe a bit though.

EDIT: No plans on giving up our inexpensive ($20) DSL at home. But 2 -3 months a year "home" turns into our camper and we're frequently far, far away from any Wifi access. Thus the smartphone and the urge to tether to the laptop.
I use Verizon's official service. I previously rooted my phone and used an app to run the hotspot over the standard phone data service but Verizon got sophisticated and disabled that capability. I now pay the fee for the official hotspot but I only turn the service on when I need it and then turn it off. The cost prorates to about $1 per day in use. But you do need to be careful to either go online or call to tunr the service off or you will get the full monthly charge.

I was surprised to learn that my unlimited tethering grandfathered to a 4G phone I bough a month ago. Check with Verizon - You may have unlimited tethering/hotspoting as well. Unfortunately I had tons of problems with the 4G Razr Max I upgraded to so I sent it back for a refund on Wednesday. I am back on a 3G Droid Global while I wait for a 4G iPhone to come out. I hope unlimited tethering continues to grandfather when the iPhone comes on line.

I maxed out the 2GB plan on my Verizon 4G iPad in only 4 days while we were traveling (no free wifi access). And I was rationing my web surfing! I was careful to restrict bandwidth-intensive activities to my iPhone with unlimited 3G plan (if I add the hotspot option on my iPhone, my plan becomes metered, so I am leaving it as is)... In fact, I could max out my iPad's 2GB plan in about half an hour by downloading a single movie from iTunes...
I bought an iPad3 with wifi only for this reason. I can use my phone hotspot and get unlimited data. Since I only turn the hotspot service on for the rare days I need it I spend almost nothing for the capability.

2 years ago I called a new hotspot outfit in the area and suggested they might want to put an antenna on my roof to broaden their coverage - no charge - just hook me and all my toys up, no charge. So far so good...:cool:

I use Verizon's official service. I previously rooted my phone and used an app to run the hotspot over the standard phone data service but Verizon got sophisticated and disabled that capability. I now pay the fee for the official hotspot but I only turn the service on when I need it and then turn it off. The cost prorates to about $1 per day in use. But you do need to be careful to either go online or call to tunr the service off or you will get the full monthly charge.

I was surprised to learn that my unlimited tethering grandfathered to a 4G phone I bough a month ago. Check with Verizon - You may have unlimited tethering/hotspoting as well. Unfortunately I had tons of problems with the 4G Razr Max I upgraded to so I sent it back for a refund on Wednesday. I am back on a 3G Droid Global while I wait for a 4G iPhone to come out. I hope unlimited tethering continues to grandfather when the iPhone comes on line.

Thanks Don. I like the idea of being able to turn the tethering function (and charges) off and on. I'll go check that on the web site. I'd really love to have the tethering going when we take off for the Rockies in a few weeks.

Ditto on the unlimited data plan grandfathering. When I signed up for my plan (did so in person at a local Verizon store) they told me I was within the final week for locking in an unlimited data plan as part of the package. The next week they went to metered plans. I hope that means I'm grandfathered, even if I switch phones.

EDIT: One point of confusion. Don says his grandfathered unlimited data plan continues with tethering turned on. FIREd says his reverts to metered if he turns on tethering....... Comments??

Last edited:
EDIT: One point of confusion. Don says his grandfathered unlimited data plan continues with tethering turned on. FIREd says his reverts to metered if he turns on tethering....... Comments??

I am with AT&T and Don is with Verizon I think. If I want to turn the tethering on with AT&T, I have to sign for a new (metered) plan and give up my unlimited plan.

Last edited:
I am with AT&T and Don is with Verizon I think. If I want to turn the tethering on with AT&T, I have to sign for a new plan and give up my unlimited plan.

OK, thanks. I misunderstood and thought you were also with Verizon.

Thanks Don. I like the idea of being able to turn the tethering function (and charges) off and on. I'll go check that on the web site. I'd really love to have the tethering going when we take off for the Rockies in a few weeks.

Ditto on the unlimited data plan grandfathering. When I signed up for my plan (did so in person at a local Verizon store) they told me I was within the final week for locking in an unlimited data plan as part of the package. The next week they went to metered plans. I hope that means I'm grandfathered, even if I switch phones.
I think you will find your are grandfathered. You won't see anything about turning the service on and off and getting a prorated charge. I had to ask about it and found out. It can get a little confusing because when you turn it on you are agreeing to a monthly rate but when you turn it off they cancel and prorate the time you spent. Ultimately it works.

... You won't see anything about turning the service on and off and getting a prorated charge. I had to ask about it and found out. It can get a little confusing because when you turn it on you are agreeing to a monthly rate but when you turn it off they cancel and prorate the time you spent. Ultimately it works.

I have had Verizon forget to turn off services when requested/scheduled.

But, they have always credited bill with no questions asked when we called them on it. (The global data roaming used to really add up if it was not turned off; I think they recently reduced the charges for that service.)

I am also considering ditching HBO/Showtime, since I have yet to watch even one movie or program on either during the year that I have had them. I can afford these channels, but if I am not using them then I might as well give the money to Catholic Charities who could probably find a better use for it.

Those are big expenses but I watch just about every original show on those channels. Generally the best of their kind, almost like appointment TV.

If you have an iPad, you can get HBO Go app. for it and then as long as you're a subscriber, you can watch all their old great shows like the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Sex and the City, etc. as well as all current shows.

You can also access HBO Go through the browser but depending on the kind of computer you have, may or may not be easy to connect to a big screen.

As for the topic, 4G can be faster than some home Internet services, because there aren't too many people on them yet. That will change and Verizon and AT&T are really pushing 4G LTE.

If the next iPhone gets 4G LTE, there will be tens of millions more users on those networks almost overnight.

As for the topic, 4G can be faster than some home Internet services, because there aren't too many people on them yet. That will change and Verizon and AT&T are really pushing 4G LTE.
I suspect the rise of metered service is also keeping a lot of people off of these 4G networks, or at least making them use a *lot* less bandwidth.

If the next iPhone gets 4G LTE, there will be tens of millions more users on those networks almost overnight.

Yeah, but I still don't think it would slow things down a lot if people were stil limited to 2-4 GB a month before facing punitive overage charges or getting shut down until the next billing cycle.

For those of you using wireless, how are you protecting your financial data when you log on to a financial website from snoopers?

For those of you using wireless, how are you protecting your financial data when you log on to a financial website from snoopers?
Same as wired - use https which encrypts the data stream end to end. Bad guys can snoop traffic over hard wired connections also, although maybe not as easily.

Same as wired - use https which encrypts the data stream end to end. Bad guys can snoop traffic over hard wired connections also, although maybe not as easily.
Right. It's sort of like adding more security to your own house -- someone who specifically wants what YOU have and has the skill and knowledge about how to break in will still do it... but it does deter the "crimes of opportunity" perpetrated by petty thieves who are simply looking for easy marks and low-hanging fruit.

I don't access anything really sensitive via wifi, at home or elsewhere, for security reasons. I realize I can still be hacked on my hardwired PC, but as others have mentioned hopefully it's a little harder than intercepting via wireless.

However, I am sure it will become common, even routine for all of us to do everything wireless eventually.

Just one piece, but I wonder how long it will be until this or something very similar becomes pervasive https://squareup.com/pay-with-square

Last edited:
What's https?
You may know this already, but unlike plain http:
Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is a combination of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) with the SSL/TLS protocol. It provides encrypted communication and secure identification of a network web server. Historically, HTTPS connections were primarily used for payment transactions on the World Wide Web and for sensitive transactions in corporate information systems. In the late 2000s and early 2010s, HTTPS began to see widespread use for securing accounts, keeping user communications and browsing history private, and protecting page authenticity on all types of websites.

Back
Top Bottom