Golf Clubs - What The H Happened?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So I lay off golf for about 20 years, and all the clubs change pretty radically!!!

I hope to tee off for the first time in about 20 years this week or next with a league, but they'll probably laugh me off the course. :LOL:

My Taylor Made Burner Bubble driver has a 9.5 deg loft with a stiff shaft, but the heads on all my woods are about 1/3rd the volume of today's clubs. When I bought them in the mid-90's, the heads were considered HUGE!

My Wilson Staff RM Midsize Forged 2-PW irons have about the same loft as a 4-AW today, they've gotten about 5-6.5 deg stronger for each club until you get to wedges. Why on earth, they just renamed the clubs adding +2 to each iron. :confused: My SW is about the same as a modern SW. I've never used a LW. So it will appear that I hit 2 clubs shorter than others my age/ability - all because they renamed the clubs?

And hybrids were rescue clubs for really old folks when I last played. No one under the age of 110 would be caught dead with one in his bag. Now it appears a hybrid 3 and 4 are very common. I've never tried one. :nonono:

And of course I had to take my metal spikes off, and replace them with Black Widow rubbers spike (old screw ins).

I assume golf balls are completely different nowadays too, but I haven't hit a new one yet.

If I last a few rounds without too much laughter and head shaking from the members, I guess I'll have to buy new clubs and shoes...maybe I'll be allowed to keep my bag. :blush:

Last edited:
My suggestion? Pick up a gently-used set of clubs from Craigslist, Golf Galaxy, or a similar place. You'll save a few bucks over new, and still get a lot of the technology found in the latest offerings. I've bought all of my recent woods (Ping and Taylor Made) used, and found some great bargains.

My suggestion? Pick up a gently-used set of clubs from Craigslist, Golf Galaxy, or a similar place. You'll save a few bucks over new, and still get a lot of the technology found in the latest offerings. I've bought all of my recent woods (Ping and Taylor Made) used, and found some great bargains.
Fortunately there's a deep discount golf place nearby, that has new older models and some used clubs. I hope the new tech really does something since it looks like they mostly just changed the lofts for irons. But I'm determined to play a few rounds with old clubs (in like new condition) to make sure I still enjoy golf - before I look at anything new. Bad idea?

Hybrids will be totally new to me if I buy them.

My old clubs are all stiff shafts, so I probably can't handle that anymore, so I may be forced to change clubs anyway. I hit quite a few thin (and fat) on the driving range yesterday, that stung! :LOL:

Last edited:
Fortunately there's a deep discount golf place nearby, that has new older models and some used clubs. I hope the new tech really does something since it looks like the just changed the lofts for irons. But I'm determined to play a few rounds with old clubs (in like new condition) to make sure I still enjoy golf - before I look at anything new. Bad idea?

Oh, certainly play a little with what you have. Chances are your current setup might not be as forgiving, or give you as much distance as the new sticks would. But for getting out there and seeing if you still like golf? What you've got is good enough.

Another option would be to rent a set of clubs at the course. Depending on what they have, it might be a great way to try out some new gear while you see if golf is still your bag. (Bad pun intended.)

And another note…

Don't forget your balls.

I mean… As people get older, I think the choice of ball becomes even more important. You might want something a little softer, especially if you're just getting back in the game. Maybe try a Srixon Soft Feel to start with.

And another note…

Don't forget your balls.

I mean… As people get older, I think the choice of ball becomes even more important. You might want something a little softer, especially if you're just getting back in the game. Maybe try a Srixon Soft Feel to start with.
Thanks. I refused to play anything but Titleist balls when I was active years ago. When people gave me balls that were another brand (like company events), I quietly gave them away. We'll see if I can get over that admittedly silly mental bias.

Last edited:
Thanks. I refused to play anything but Titleist balls when I was active years ago. We'll see if I can get over that admittedly silly mental bias.

I hear you. I don't play with anything but Titleist ProV1 balls, but that's only because I find five or six brand new ones in the weeds every time I go out to play. I can't tell you the last time I actually paid for golf balls. I've got about 250 of them in a crate in my garage.

Agree with the above about getting a good used set or if you buy new buy 'last year model' clubs, you'll save a lot of money. Clubs have changed a lot in 20 years but not very much from one year to the next, most of it is a marketing gimmick. Get rid of all the long 2-5 irons and use hybrids, much easier to hit.

Ain't the clubs it's the idiot on the end swinging the damn things. Bobby Jones could still beat most of the pros with his persimmons.

Ain't the clubs it's the idiot on the end swinging the damn things. Bobby Jones could still beat most of the pros with his persimmons.

Probably true but I'm sure if he had today's equipment available he wouldn't be using his old persimmons and hickory shafts.

Last edited:
How old are you OP? I wouldn't necessarily give up on the stiff shafts.
As far as balls, the "new" balls are probably better than the models of 20 years ago. I decided to stick with one ball when I got back into it 5 years ago, the ProV1, but they cost about $4 each new. I can get "near mint" for a buck or two a ball on eBay...but realistically, there are a bunch of good balls cheap.

I have really enjoyed getting back into it, and walk pushing a cart, 9 holes Monday-Friday. Weekends I'm at the lake house, and the course is too crowded anyway. I'd rather walk 9 and get some exercise than ride 18.

I hope you enjoy it. It's a great game for being with people, and getting some exercise.

When I took up golf after ERing I bought a set of these clones. A couple of good golfers I went out with tried them and thought they felt great although they still disdained them. They work great and the price is right. Disclaimer: I quit golf because I eventually got bored with it; so take my advice with a grain of salt.

So I lay off golf for about 20 years, and all the clubs change pretty radically!!!

I hope to tee off for the first time in about 20 years this week or next with a league, but they'll probably laugh me off the course. :LOL:

My Taylor Made Burner Bubble driver has a 9.5 deg loft with a stiff shaft, but the heads on all my woods are about 1/3rd the volume of today's clubs. When I bought them in the mid-90's, the heads were considered HUGE!

My Wilson Staff RM Midsize Forged 2-PW irons have about the same loft as a 4-AW today, they've gotten about 5-6.5 deg stronger for each club until you get to wedges. Why on earth, they just renamed the clubs adding +2 to each iron. :confused: My SW is about the same as a modern SW. I've never used a LW. So it will appear that I hit 2 clubs shorter than others my age/ability - all because they renamed the clubs?

And hybrids were rescue clubs for really old folks when I last played. No one under the age of 110 would be caught dead with one in his bag. Now it appears a hybrid 3 and 4 are very common. I've never tried one. :nonono:

And of course I had to take my metal spikes off, and replace them with Black Widow rubbers spike (old screw ins).

I assume golf balls are completely different nowadays too, but I haven't hit a new one yet.

If I last a few rounds without too much laughter and head shaking from the members, I guess I'll have to buy new clubs and shoes...maybe I'll be allowed to keep my bag. :blush:

Are you in Chicago area ? If so, Cog Hill is having a demo day this coming Saturday. Alot of OEMs will be there. Will provide an opportunity to hit all kinds of clubs. Actually, I enjoy attending demo days. There is no obligation to buy anything.

Also, the Inwood Golf course (Joliet) is having one in mid May.

Technology has definitely improved club performance...especially for amateurs. Clubs are far more forgiving and slight miss-hits don't go as far off line as they used to. Golf balls are also more consistent and a lot tougher...when is the last time you saw a golf ball with a "smile" on it? It used to be that any time you sculled a ball you would cut the outer casing. That no longer happens.

For now as you are getting back into the game, I would only buy a new driver. The more modern and forgiving one's can make a huge difference in enjoyment and success. I wouldn't bother with irons unless they are super old. Many still play Ping Eye 2 irons from the 80's. Having said that I just bought a set of Ping G irons. They have been reduced in price and are only 1 year old. I think they are getting ready to put out a newer version in the Fall.

If my back allows I hope to get back into golf one of these days. I am enjoying this thread as I can relate. My "great" clubs are 20 years old. Ping irons and Big Bertha driver which is now a very little bertha compared to today's monster drivers. Hope to hit the range this weekend....

golf club tech has changed radically in the last 20 years, you need new sticks bruh

you can still get decent titleist balls for $20 a dz, just don't get the prov1s

Speaking of golf balls has anyone tried the new Kierland golf ball that Costco sells? The hype is that they perform as good as ProV1's for about 1/3 the cost.

Thanks everyone, just joined the local senior league this morning, we start next Wed. They play the next 22 weeks, and foursome are assigned and change weekly, so no one will be stuck playing with me relearning - a good thing.
I can't replace the idiot though (me). :blush:

How old are you OP? I wouldn't necessarily give up on the stiff shafts.
As far as balls, the "new" balls are probably better than the models of 20 years ago. I decided to stick with one ball when I got back into it 5 years ago, the ProV1, but they cost about $4 each new. I can get "near mint" for a buck or two a ball on eBay...but realistically, there are a bunch of good balls cheap.

I hope you enjoy it. It's a great game for being with people, and getting some exercise.
I'm about to turn 63, and I plan to use my old clubs Taylor Made Burner Bubble 1-3-5 and Wilson Staff RM Midsize Forged irons 2 thru SW. I am sure I'll be laughed at, whether I know it or not.

As for balls I have some new unused Titleist Tour Prestige 90 balls that are about 15 years old. [-]Since they're solid core two piece I assume they haven't gone bad, and I was hoping to use them.[/-] Edit: Looks like they're liquid center, wound three piece balls, so they may have gone bad? Though I suspect you'll all tell me to spring for some new ones. I hear they are softer, whatever that means. Whatever I use it has to be Titleist though, never played anything else since I was 10 years old, old habits die hard...

When I took up golf after ERing I bought a set of these clones. A couple of good golfers I went out with tried them and thought they felt great although they still disdained them. They work great and the price is right. Disclaimer: I quit golf because I eventually got bored with it; so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Looks interesting, I'll check it out, thanks. I don't plan to buy top end clubs when I replace my old clubs, I'll buy new last years models or maybe even used - there's a shop nearby that has a good selection of both available. Or maybe clones!

For now as you are getting back into the game, I would only buy a new driver. The more modern and forgiving one's can make a huge difference in enjoyment and success. I wouldn't bother with irons unless they are super old. Many still play Ping Eye 2 irons from the 80's. Having said that I just bought a set of Ping G irons. They have been reduced in price and are only 1 year old. I think they are getting ready to put out a newer version in the Fall.
I have seriously considered buying one of the big head drivers before my first round. They range from $40 to $500 locally. If I spring for one, it'll probably be $100-$150?

golf club tech has changed radically in the last 20 years, you need new sticks bruh

you can still get decent titleist balls for $20 a dz, just don't get the prov1s
I will, but not before I at least play a two or three rounds at least to make sure I still enjoy it. I am curious about new clubs, especially the hybrids as I've never had one. Who knows, the league may ask me to stay home after a few weeks... :blush:

Last edited:
Midpack, you and I are almost the same age. I'm 63.

Don't be shocked of your golf muscles take a while to get used to swinging. I was only off for 10 years, and started back at the age of 58, and was unhappily surprised at how resistant my body is to over-doing the golf. Even now I have to be careful not to play too many holes, or try to hit too many practice ball, which is a shame because I love to practice.

Best advice, play with your current clubs and beat the fancy new fangled clubs.

A good swing is a good swing. No amount of money spent on clubs will fix your swing.

At the very least, get more modern woods and/or hybrids. My dad, who's around 76, can hit it just about as far as I do, and I'm thirty years younger. He's got the latest Ping driver, and I've got a Taylor-Made that's three or so years old. Technology makes a difference. And sure, working on your swing is important. But if a little technology helps you hit it a little farther and straighter, and because of that you enjoy the game more, then it's worth it.

At the very least, get more modern woods and/or hybrids. My dad, who's around 76, can hit it just about as far as I do, and I'm thirty years younger. He's got the latest Ping driver, and I've got a Taylor-Made that's three or so years old. Technology makes a difference. And sure, working on your swing is important. But if a little technology helps you hit it a little farther and straighter, and because of that you enjoy the game more, then it's worth it.

Agree that a new driver & a hybrid or two is the place to start if/when you decide to buy some new clubs.

Glad to hear you're getting back out there. After you've played a couple rounds, stop by the "Golf Talk Tuesdays" thread and let us know how it went.

Midpack, you and I are almost the same age. I'm 63.

Don't be shocked of your golf muscles take a while to get used to swinging. I was only off for 10 years, and started back at the age of 58, and was unhappily surprised at how resistant my body is to over-doing the golf. Even now I have to be careful not to play too many holes, or try to hit too many practice ball, which is a shame because I love to practice.

I'll be 63 in 3 months and have more nagging pains that hampers my golf. This year I have a sore left thumb that makes it difficult to release through the ball. Also some soreness in my left shoulder after a round. Par for the course at this age I suppose. ;)

The thing that effects me the most at 68 is lack of flexibility in my rotational movements. Therefore, for the past several years I have been using Mizuno MX300 irons that I imagine are in between a super game improvement iron and a blade. When I was a teen, I used Ben Hogan blades, while ~ 24 years ago, I switched to Ping eye2 knockoffs. All these clubs seemed to be age appropriate at the time, but no doubt my swing speed has slowed considerably so new technology can help us older duffers.

As for the woods, not sure whether it's psychological, but I cannot swing these light weight drivers with the huge heads very well. I still love the original Callaway warbirds.

Back
Top Bottom