Golfing: why do we do it?

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I finally got serious about golfing at the beginning of this year. Bought a set of Callaway x-14s (graphite, regular flex) and decided I was going for gusto. Yet:

- it costs a decent amount of money to practice/play
- it involves a fair amount of frustration, especially for my skill level
- I could be a golfer for the rest of my life and I'd still never be that great
- the game was designed to be difficult...hitting a ball with a stick

So why do we do it?

soupcxan said:
So why do we do it?
Better send Jarhead a PM to get his attention. He's been on a board break but I bet he'll want to join this thread!

I just got RE addicted to golf! And indeed, it is expensive! When I took a 3 year 'leave of absence" from the working world, I played daily. My golf tab ran up very, very fast...to the tune of 40 bucks/day 5 days/week. About 1k/month! And that was at cheap courses!!!!

i just never thought of golf as a sport ...not enough blood and broken bones for my taste...
i think i have trouble with the concept too....the balls go in the hole and the club stays out.....

I just took it up last summer after a 40 year gap (played in HS). I like it because it is hard. I also like that lots of long time golfers are no better than me.

As a side bar, I am curious about the frugal ERs reaction to my choice of clubs. I read everything I could (on the Internet, so take with a grain of salt) and ultimately bought a set of Callaway X-18 clones from pinemeadowgolf.com for $190 ($149 without the graphite shafts). I have tried to compare them with friends' high priced clubs and they seem as good or better to me. I get the same reaction from others who try mine.

soupcxan said:
I finally got serious about golfing at the beginning of this year. Bought a set of Callaway x-14s (graphite, regular flex) and decided I was going for gusto. Yet:

- it costs a decent amount of money to practice/play
- it involves a fair amount of frustration, especially for my skill level
- I could be a golfer for the rest of my life and I'd still never be that great
- the game was designed to be difficult...hitting a ball with a stick

So why do we do it?

Soupxan: I'm replying to your post because of your age, and therefore, potential.

Nords: You read me like a book. (I am semi-retired from the forum, but thought I might give Soup some advice.) ;)

My best friend was the head pro at my home course. About 15 years ago, he was having trouble keeping up with all the scheduled lessons. He talked me into getting my PGA Card, and helping him out with lessons.

I always started out with the following statement:

"My objective is to give you a solid foundation required for a good golf swing. The two weeks between lessons, I expect you to spend a "minimum" of 25 hours of range work, before the next lesson. If you aren't willing to do that,
save your money."

Soup, if you want to be able to enjoy Golf for years to come, get some lessons from a good golf pro, work like hell at the range, putting his advice committed to "Muscle Memory", and your enjoyment of the game will improve a lot.

As to why we do it: I am on the Dean Martin school of thought on that one, Circa l966.
"Life is just something I put up with until the next tournament comes around."

Spend a lot more time at the driving range, working on your game, and less time on the golf course, at your stage, and it'll pay you back with a lifetime of dividends.

"Left arm straight, right arm tucked at impact, and grip it and rip it". ;)

Good Luck, Jarhead

REWahoo! said:
Some people evidently took the Kings loss to the Spurs way too personally.  8)

:D :D

Nah, I had no money on the Kings, and as a matter of fact, it was a surprise to me, considering their regular season play that they even advanced to the first round.
I thought Rick Adleman did a heckova job (with smoke and mirrors) to get them that far.

The Maloof Bros. don't agree with me however.
They fired Adleman last week. (He took over a long time failed franchise 8 years ago, and didn't miss a slot in the playoffs during his watch). I think those kids were just tired of his barber-shop quartet hair-style. ;)

In any case, if a guy that calls himself Rick posts any-time in the near future, stating that he has recently retired, and wants to see if he has the funds to do so, be gentle. ;) (According to articles I've read on Adleman, he has a net worth exceeding 50 Million, but being temporaraly un-employed, he may be feeling a bit insecure. :D

Enjoying the Mavs and Spurs. (The eyes of Texas are upon you.) Outstanding match-up.

Jarhead

Jarhead* said:
I thought Rick Adleman did a heckova job (with smoke and mirrors) to get them that far.

The Maloof Bros. don't agree with me however. They fired Adleman last week....I think those kids were just tired of his barber-shop quartet hair-style. ;)

In any case, if a guy that calls himself Rick posts any-time in the near future, stating that he has recently retired, and wants to see if he has the funds to do so, be gentle. ;) According to articles I've read on Adleman, he has a net worth exceeding 50 Million...

Jarhead, I agree that Adleman did a very respectable job. I suspect he knew his days were numbered and tried to save a few bucks by getting his ears lowered at Supercuts. Sounds just like the LBYM type that frequents this forum. 8)

Help us keep an eye out for him. Maybe we'll recommend he purchase himself an annuity...and get himself a 'real' haircut. ;)

mathjak107 said:
i just never thought of golf as a sport ...not enough blood and broken bones for my taste...

Uhh....well I hate to admit it, but I broke my wrist on the golf course a few years ago. Just got through with a golf lesson and was hitting the ball better than I had in months. Jumped on the back of a golf cart with a couple of buddies and as I was holding on to a beer in one hand and the roof of the cart with the other, I lost balance.  :-[  Fell off and broke my right wrist. Lost the entire beer too. :(  When people asked how I broke my wrist, I told them it was sports related.  :D

This is a violent sport. Fact: Standing in the fairway waiting for a foursome to putt out. Lining up that two footer, checking all angles, picking up bits of grass, practice swing, repeat all above three more times. My playing partner says, "That idiot just teed off." I turned around , saw a big flash as his tee shot found my nose. Broken nose, lots of blood ; all I could say was that foursome is still on the green.

Don't forget those helicopter irons flying down the fairways and the odd chucked putter or two heading towards the pond off the 18th green. Golf is a or can be a very dangerous sport.

Not expensive at all around here. A buck a hole at most of the local courses. In fact, in the summertime when it hits a hundred, you can get a $5 a round noon tee time...and have the course pretty much to yourself.

Some of these guys have air conditioned golf carts!

But you do have to wonder about the whole thing. Hit a little white ball with the end of a long skinny stick, then go look for it. If you manage to find it, take another stick and hit it again. You should have been pleased to have found the dang thing in the first place, put it in your pocket, and gone home!

soupcxan said:
So why do we do it?

Soup, I took it up a few years ago and have gotten really hooked. A few of the reasons we do it:

!. Hours spent in the company of friends.
2. Those rare moments when the damn ball actually does what you intended it to do. First sand trap of the day yesterday, sand save. Second trap, got six inches out of the trap on the third swing. I'll remember that first trap a lot longer than the second.
3. Standing on the tee box, staring down a long green fairway, Pikes Peak in the background.
4. An icy cold pitcher of beer afterwards, sitting on the deck of the bar, sore and tired.
5. I'll never be a very good golfer, but I'll probably be a better golfer than I used to be for a long time.

Coach

Back
Top Bottom