Gone fishing

When I lived in Venice it was common to see alligators . Once there was one just lounging by the ATM machine of the corner bank . Another time a neighborhood couple left their garage door open and a large alligator wandered in .

See pics for good top water baits - particularly the Chugger and the Rapala Minnow. The reel is a Shimano Solstice.

Have had good luck with Berkeley Power Baits - 7” red/black worms and 3” black curly tail grubs

Last edited:
Make sure nothing necessary dangles over the side of the boat Rich.

Too easly...

Bbb I never would have guessed you were a fishing enthusiast.

I wish I could take all you expert fisherpeople with us. We'll try to keep the dry side up. I'm gonna cruise by the Sports Authority tonight and look at some stuff.

See pics for good top water baits - particularly the Chugger and the Rapala Minnow. The reel is a Shimano Solstace.

Have had good luck with Berkeley Power Baits - 7” red/black worms and 3” black curly tail grubs

Hey, I have TWO Shimano Solstices!! :)

I used to fish in a small pond near the Hudson River for sunfish and yellow perch to use as trap bait for early August blue crabbing. I went deep sea fishing in the Atlantic just offshore of Long Island once. I let the boat guys bait the hook for me (NO WAY was I sticking my hand into that bait bucket). I caught a few whiting. :cool:
I also went fishing for tuna off MA 5 years ago. I "whalewatched" while the guys fished. That was cool to watch real fishing. Those tuna are tough to bring in. The guys were all in great shape and had a heck of a time landing them. :nonono:
I do own 2 fishing poles, run of the mill type. I should find some local kids who would use them.
So after all that...no bass expertise to offer here.

My style of fishing these days is "You catch 'em and clean 'em, I'll cook 'em." :D

I use a 50-50 mix of cornmeal and flour, salt and pepper. Dip in beaten egg, roll in mix, and fry in just a little bit of oil over medium heat. Turn when edges get slightly browned, gently using a flat spatula so the coating doesn't fall off.
Drain on paper towels.
Eat them warm while you cook more.

Kiss my bass! A product of Lake Fork in east Texas...

Attachments

• fish.JPG
    fish.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 84
Day 27 of our 40+ day West trip but I could not resist replying to this thread. In TN we have found that Shad colored dynimite works very good where legal.

Seriously I have fished several lakes in the area and a guide is the best choice and you do not even need a pole just use their tackle. Live bait (shiners) will catch the bigger bass in the area and typically you fish them under small ballons. Yes really. I have caught several nice fish this way.

For the most fun do a salt water flats trip with a fly rod. It is the best fishing I have done in my 40 years of fishing.

Good luck and tight lines!

The only reel I've ever owned. For the once a year fisherman. :D

Zebco. . .America's Favorite Fishing Reels.

Dawg, I always used Zebco's as a kid. I bought a nice Zebco rod/reel combo at walmart a couple of years ago,and I landed as many fish as those with the fancy gear.

Rich, Go to your local Bass Pro Shop, Cabellas, Gander Mt - I'm sure they'll help you out with gear.

I think crappie and bluegill and yellow perch taste better than bass. You might consider going for them.

When you find the school, and they are feeding, you can catch a fish a minute.

Here's an interesting technique that I wouldn't use (too cruel): when you catch one bluegill, you put a small hook in his back and attach it to a balloon. That way, you can keep track of where the school is.

As someone may have already mentioned, cat-fishing is the ultimate lazy man's fishing. Throw some stinky bait on the muddy bottom, then drink beer...

Here's an interesting technique that I wouldn't use (too cruel): when you catch one bluegill, you put a small hook in his back and attach it to a balloon. That way, you can keep track of where the school is.
Just make sure you don't have too much helium in it...

I usually fish in Lake Pennasoffkee when i'm down visiting the family and have good results with worms and a bobber tied about 6' up the line,using lures can be frustrating and expensive in Lake Stuart as there is so much tree debris on the bottom that you are continually getting snagged and losing lures,that problem might be eliminiated if you go out with one of the many guides that are available,Dress in a long sleeved cotton shirt and bring sun screen and a big hat as a day out on the lake can get brutal if there are no clouds.We wanna see pics of the catch.

Just back, had a great getaway and no bass were involved. I'll post some pics if they came out OK.

July 4 weekend is not the time to learn how to fish for bass. The lake was crawling with anglers and not a fishing guide in sight. We thought about trying our luck on our own, but no rental boats available.

So we went up to the Rainbow River and canoed all afternoon - crystal clear, smooth and peaceful. Saturday we discovered Ozello trail which leads you through a beautiful marshland habitat. Stumbled on a great crab shack and ate tons.

Campground was a real old-fashioned fishing campRig held up well, air conditioner ran nonstop. Overall a good weekend.

Just to give you a sense of the terrain, the map says it all:

Attachments

• Nature coast.jpg
    Nature coast.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom