Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 05:03 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 920
Hah I see media-leech Jesse Jackson has managed to insert himself in front of the cameras, standing solemnly demanding justice and full inquiry on behalf of the grieving Jacksons, using the "friend of the family" angle.

No doubt Al Sharpton is somewhere fuming at this latest twist in the desperate battle to remain relevant.
__________________

__________________
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:13 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,971
MJ was a great entertainer, dancer and musical talent - and a very tragic and troubled human being.

Who would have ever thought that of Michael Jackson, Elvis, Hendrix, Joplin, Jim Morrison, Freddie Mercury, Bill Haley, John Bonham, Bon Scott, Karen Carpenter, Harry Chapin, Dennis Wilson, Keith Moon, Sid Vicious, Terry Kath, Jerry Garcia, Duane Allman, Marvin Gaye, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, and Michael Hutchence - Madonna would turn out to be the smart survivor! Bizarre...
__________________

__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:35 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
Hah I see media-leech Jesse Jackson has managed to insert himself in front of the cameras, standing solemnly demanding justice and full inquiry on behalf of the grieving Jacksons, using the "friend of the family" angle.

No doubt Al Sharpton is somewhere fuming at this latest twist in the desperate battle to remain relevant.
My god didn't Jesse, and Al get the memo. African-American have a new leader. His name is PRESIDENT Barrack Obama. I may not agree with the President on a lot of things, but I rather listen to him talk for 30 minutes than Jesse or Al for 30 seconds.
__________________
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
MJ was a great entertainer, dancer and musical talent - and a very tragic and troubled human being.

Who would have ever thought that of Michael Jackson, Elvis, Hendrix, Joplin, Jim Morrison, Freddie Mercury, Bill Haley, John Bonham, Bon Scott, Karen Carpenter, Harry Chapin, Dennis Wilson, Keith Moon, Sid Vicious, Terry Kath, Jerry Garcia, Duane Allman, Marvin Gaye, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, and Michael Hutchence - Madonna would turn out to be the smart survivor! Bizarre...
Not so bizarre. Madonna's a strong, intelligent woman who has never abused drugs or booze and takes excellent care of her health.

While not a big fan of her music, I've been fascinated with Madonna's persona. One thing I really like is how she exudes strength and control in her performances and her life. This is so different from many other artists, particularly female ones, who are used and abused by the music industry and their own family and friends. Like her or not, you have to admire this quality in Madonna.

I bet she could teach us a thing or two about handling money. She's done quite well in that department. On June 22, 2009, Forbes named her the top earning musician in the world. She won out over the likes of Beyonce, one of the hottest young artists today; and Bruce Springsteen, an icon in the music industry. Pretty impressive given many considered her "over the hill" when she hit 50.


The Year's Top-Earning Musicians - Forbes.com
__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.
dixonge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ajijic
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I bet she could teach us a thing or two about handling money. She's done quite well in that department. On June 22, 2009, Forbes named her the top earning musician in the world. She won out over the likes of Beyonce, one of the hottest young artists today; and Bruce Springsteen, an icon in the music industry. Pretty impressive given many considered her "over the hill" when she hit 50.

The Year's Top-Earning Musicians - Forbes.com
What if Madonna had only one Top 10 hit? How much would she be worth?

One-hit wonders come and go, and end up doing the casino tour or fading into obscurity. And then there's Jimmy Buffett. Restaurants, beer, tequila and hamburgers all paying him licensing money. Several successful books. And in 2004, 27 years after Margaritaville topped the charts, he released an album Licensed to Chill singing old country songs with other country singers and it hit #1 on the Billboard 200 chart! He rakes in around $40 million a year from his concert tours too.

THAT guy is freakin' impressive.
__________________
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
But seriously, folks, I look at it this way:

The early, rockabilly Elvis was ok in my book, though I'd argue that the real "King Of Rock-N-Roll" was/is Chuck Berry. Lennon's talent as a singer/songwriter/musician win's out over both EP and MJ. Jackson was undoubtedly talented, but was just not my cup-o-tea. In his defense, if we rejected celebrities because of their weirdness, we'd have few "heroes" left to admire...

YMMV...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 160
Quote:
And then there's Jimmy Buffett. Restaurants, beer, tequila and hamburgers all paying him licensing money.
I think you may be confusing Buffet with Buffett. Just because a restaurant offers a "Buffet" does not mean that they pay a licensing fee to Jimmy. Or Warren.
__________________
quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.
dixonge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ajijic
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
I think you may be confusing Buffet with Buffett. Just because a restaurant offers a "Buffet" does not mean that they pay a licensing fee to Jimmy. Or Warren.
I hope you're being cute....

Margaritaville, Las Vegas, is said to be the top-grossing restaurant in the country

Jimmy Buffett, mogul of Margaritaville
__________________
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
But seriously, folks, I look at it this way:

The early, rockabilly Elvis was ok in my book, though I'd argue that the real "King Of Rock-N-Roll" was/is Chuck Berry. Lennon's talent as a singer/songwriter/musician win's out over both EP and MJ. Jackson was undoubtedly talented, but was just not my cup-o-tea. In his defense, if we rejected celebrities because of their weirdness, we'd have few "heroes" left to admire...

YMMV...
I look at it this way. Elvis was a copycat of Chuck Berry and others. Lennon was truly a gifted songwriter -- but his songwriting ability didn't make people bounce or dance -- limited in my view and his music does not translate well in other languages. As singers, Lennon and Elvis were simply mediocre. Dylan even transcends Lennon, in my view, as a songwriter in that genre.

They weren't my cup of tea.

I prefer music that makes one dance; all a matter of taste.
__________________
Someday this war's gonna end . . .
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I look at it this way. Elvis was a copycat of Chuck Berry and others.
I think one needs to be careful with the word "copycat" as it applies to music. Music builds on past influences, and Chuck Berry had his share. Read more of them at the wiki link. For example:

Ida Red - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
"Maybellene"

In 1955, Chuck Berry's "Maybellene" reached #10 on the pop charts and #1 on the R&B charts. Berry based the music in his song on Bob Wills' versions of "Ida Red" and "Ida Red Likes the Boogie."[5]



Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
As singers, Lennon and Elvis were simply mediocre. Dylan even transcends Lennon, in my view, as a songwriter in that genre.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but one prominent music publication does not agree (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Berry):
Quote:
In 2004, Rolling Stone ranked Chuck Berry #5 on their list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time, being the 3rd individual singer behind Dylan and Elvis.
-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
OK, going out on a limb here. Great musicians? Patti Smith anyone?

__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think one needs to be careful with the word "copycat" as it applies to music. Music builds on past influences, and Chuck Berry had his share.
I was referring to the total package, not just taking works of others. Berry may have used the works of others -- and in music you're absolutely correct, one generally builds on the body of work of others, but Elvis was not Chuck Berry in terms of being a pioneering influence on music the way we speak of people like Robert Johnson, Bill Monroe, or Armstrong. Elvis was simply the next generation's Sinatra.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but one prominent music publication does not agree
-ERD50
It's all a matter of musical taste; like a poll in 2005 that had this somewhat obscure singer ahead of Elvis.

__________________
Someday this war's gonna end . . .
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 898
__________________
Someday this war's gonna end . . .
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
-- and in music you're absolutely correct, one generally builds on the body of work of others, but Elvis was not Chuck Berry in terms of being a pioneering influence on music the way we speak of people like Robert Johnson, Bill Monroe, or Armstrong.
Coincidentally, I have converted most of my CDs to FLAC files on a hard drive over the past month (I think I'll tackle the vinyl over the next winter), and I have several CDs of each of those artists you mentioned (the 2 CD Box set of RJ is everything he did, maybe they found one song since then). I've often thought that it was Bill Monroe who was really the most original - although Bluegrass builds on other styles, it really has some unique and (AFAIK) previously unknown components. I'm not enough of a musicologist to say that with any authority, just an impression of mine. I would say that Monroe's music was a bigger step away from the predecessors/contemporaries that was Johnson or Armstrong. But all are fantastic artists with a lot of originality.


Quote:
It's all a matter of musical taste; like a poll in 2005 that had this somewhat obscure singer ahead of Elvis.
Well, Eva Cassidy was an amazing interpreter of some classic songs. And her sad story helped her to connect (posthumously) to the public. To get back closer to the OP, I'll take anything Cassidy recorded over anything MJ recorded, any day. As you say, a matter of taste and personal preference. But then, I can't dance

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,094
Michael Jackson died on June 25. The news media, promoters, lawyers, attention-seekers, fans, memorabilia whores, ticket scalpers and other assorted leeches have worked their magic for 11 days and he will finally be buried tomorrow. The TV networks have devoted hundreds of hours to his death and the aftermath and will provide wall-to-wall coverage of the "big event" tomorrow.

Pardon me if I seem callous, but the attention paid this "man-boy" is beyond my comprehension. I can't help but wonder what the now adult children who spent some time in their youth 'entertaining' Mr. Jackson in his bedroom think about all this hoopla...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.
dixonge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ajijic
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Pardon me if I seem callous, but the attention paid this "man-boy" is beyond my comprehension. I can't help but wonder what the now adult children who spent some time in their youth 'entertaining' Mr. Jackson in his bedroom think about all this hoopla...
I keep wondering that myself. Where are all the tell-all books? Where are his many accusers now? Where are the pictures and videos and such?
__________________
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #79
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Michael Jackson died on June 25. The news media, promoters, lawyers, attention-seekers, fans, memorabilia whores, ticket scalpers and other assorted leeches have worked their magic for 11 days and he will finally be buried tomorrow. The TV networks have devoted hundreds of hours to his death and the aftermath and will provide wall-to-wall coverage of the "big event" tomorrow.

Pardon me if I seem callous, but the attention paid this "man-boy" is beyond my comprehension. I can't help but wonder what the now adult children who spent some time in their youth 'entertaining' Mr. Jackson in his bedroom think about all this hoopla...
My grandmother, born in 1895, was pretty disgusted with Jerry Lee Lewis because his third "wife" was only 13 years old and his cousin, to boot. She considered him to be an admitted child rapist, forcing incest on her to boot (not to mention Satan in the flesh, I could go on). I was not allowed to play his music (even at home!), or to talk about him. Many times I had my ears and/or eyes covered by my relatives if there was a chance that I would even see his photo, hear his name, or (heaven forbid) hear his music. Many people felt that way back in the 1950's. But as time has passed, what we remember is his music...
Similarly, I tend to think that we will remember Michael Jackson for Man in the Mirror, Billie Jean, and the moon walk, not for his bedroom activities.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I tend to think that we will remember Michael Jackson for Man in the Mirror, Billie Jean, and the moon walk, not for his bedroom activities.
I don't disagree with this at all. What I do disagree with is the circus atmosphere surrounding the aftermath of his death - and the fact it has dominated the "media" for two solid weeks as if he were someone really important.

Where is that puke emoticon...
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting Comments from Michael Moore........... FinanceDude Other topics 12 11-29-2006 09:14 PM
Michael Moore's message to conservatives astromeria Other topics 66 11-18-2006 03:52 PM
Michael Jackson Martha Other topics 24 06-14-2005 03:03 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:21 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.