goodbye Michael Jackson

How many Princess Di fans bought $7 billion dollars worth of anything she was selling?

So, there are no other newsworthy stories out there, like the Honduras or the uprising in Western China or anything? Oops, that would be real journalism..my bad.........;)

So, there are no other newsworthy stories out there, like the Honduras or the uprising in Western China or anything? Oops, that would be real journalism..my bad.........;)

It's been a long time since news coverage restricted itself to politics....

It's been a long time since news coverage restricted itself to politics....

I guess the days of Walter Cronkite and Edward R. Murrow are long gone.........

The coverage on Michael Jackson is more of an all-out media blitz than coverage........;)

Elvis must be jealous of the coverage.........

It's been more than an hour since anyone posted on this thread. Could it be that we are all watching the media coverage? At the moment, I am the only one reading this thread.

Make that 2.
Not watching the media coverage. I'm watching another thunderstorm cloud build up to the west. :hide:

I'm multi-taking, eulogies on TV in the background, could that be a tearful Brooke Shields (I'm terrible with faces); filling the tub with water to get ready for $6 day at the movies. I'm taking SO to see "Public Enemies" and dinner at a favorite old Italian restaurant that has re-located near the new movie complex. Goodbye Michael, my heart will go on.

I'm glad it is winding down.........then I suppose the "estate watch" will start on Entertainment TV for the next 3 years..........

Do you think there will be the ongoing question; "Where were you when you learned Michael jackson was dead":confused:

I guess I misunderstood, soory.........

I don't understand why he's more or less important than Princess Di. They both were celebrities.........

IMHO Jackson's appeal seems to cross a lot more cultural lines (Elton John was the big performer at her services, as I recall). But we have this all the time for celebrities--look at JFK Jr.'s plane crash, still good for the occasional story in the tabloids ten years later (a celebrity simply by accident of birth).

It will all be over for MJ coverage anyway as soon as the next major celebrity leaves us--I call Ted Kennedy, by the way.

It's been more than an hour since anyone posted on this thread. Could it be that we are all watching the media coverage? At the moment, I am the only one reading this thread.
You are not alone. Starting to get ped up with all the coverage.

Nope, this is my first foray into the thread. Wound up the DVR with a lot of stuff to watch today to avoid the news uhhhhh MJ tributes. Have the crud and spent all yesterday napping and just enjoyed a 2 hour siesta after making pancakes with strawberries. By the time I heal the tv will return to normal stuff I hope!

Oooh, good call, Cuppa!! And the media go overboard when it's one of their own too (although Uncle Walter deserves it).
The media creates celebrities including their own?

Disclaimer, I haven't followed MJ since the J5 but I wonder where would the Moon Walk be without the Lunar Landing. It's all a part of our recent history. Mourning celebrities is cathartic, a chance to mourn those years of our lives gone by.

Now that Mike's in the gold box it's all about custody of the 3 kids and who gets to manage all of his loot after the bills are paid. Expect to see a lot of lawyers (or pretend lawyers) giving us their advice on TV for the next 5 years or so.

It's all a part of our recent history. Mourning celebrities is cathartic, a chance to mourn those years of our lives gone by.

This is so true.

Heh. "Hate" is a strong word, but is funny how death -- especially an unexpected and premature death -- tends to make all the unsavory aspects of one's being go away for a while even as your positive traits and contributions are magnified...

Back
Top Bottom