goodbye Michael Jackson

This is depressing. He was only 50!! :eek: And Farrah dying on the same day. What a day, huh.

So many singers seem to die young. If you want to grow old, do NOT become a really, really popular and famous singer. Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Karen Carpenter, John Lennon... for whatever reasons, so few of them live long enough to grow old.

Thank goodness a few have lived past 50 though. I'm thinking of James Taylor, for example, Paul McCartney, and Aretha Franklin.

Lots of members of the 27 club in your list.
27 Club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don't you think it is weird that James Taylor is the only survivor of the movie Two Lane Blacktop?

Sad to hear about Jackson. I think one of my favorites was Dirty Diana. Great sexy dance song. YouTube - Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana

Yes a freak show at the end... but like him or not, you have to admit that he was one of the best ever... not only as a singer, songwriter, but also of recognizing talent...

Like Prince, who is also very good at all of these things (who I do not like that much), I guess that his kind of genius had it's down side...

OHH, wanted to add... poor Farah... she would have gotten a lot of attention if it was not for Michael dying on the same day... now you will hear very little about her....

I have been listening between the lines, so to speak, comments about MJ's death. Evidently he had a through check up before booking the venues for his new shows and was insurable. Recently he was in a conditioning program so he could execute his dance routines. I heard concerns about the possibility that he was taking something to build muscle... steroids:confused:? That must be why the death investigation has been assigned to the LA homicide unit.

Sad news...but I bet the SC governor is jumping for joy to to be off the headlines

Very talented musician, his personal problems are probably not for me to dissect. However, I do wonder what will happen to his children? Probably his death will likely mean they have some chance at somewhat of a normal life. Will be interesting to see who gets custody.

I have been listening between the lines, so to speak, comments about MJ's death. Evidently he had a through check up before booking the venues for his new shows and was insurable. Recently he was in a conditioning program so he could execute his dance routines. I heard concerns about the possibility that he was taking something to build muscle... steroids:confused:? That must be why the death investigation has been assigned to the LA homicide unit.

I heard a rumor that he had lupus, and it seems to me that steroids are sometimes used to treat that condition. (?) Not sure, though.

I wish they would make public what his health problems really were. He seemed to have some serious medical problems, aside from his psychological issues.

I heard a rumor that he had lupus, and it seems to me that steroids are sometimes used to treat that condition. (?) Not sure, though.

I wish they would make public what his health problems really were. He seemed to have some serious medical problems, aside from his psychological issues.

One report I heard said he had a physical recently to ensure he could withstand the rigors of a world tour. They reported he passed with "flying colors". He was very athletic and would have to be in very good shape to do the kind of live act he was famous for. Its looking more and more like he was abusing prescription drugs. Sounds like Elvis and scores of other pop idols to me.:nonono:

Very talented musician, his personal problems are probably not for me to dissect. However, I do wonder what will happen to his children? Probably his death will likely mean they have some chance at somewhat of a normal life. Will be interesting to see who gets custody.

I've also heard that he was supporting a lot of people, brothers, etc. This will keep the scandal sheets busy for decades.

I bet your right.:blink:

We kinda thought he would have to put a hit out on somebody to get himself off the news. I bet he is very relieved!

As an aside, the gov lives in a house right next door the house I grew up in, on Sullivans Island. Nice place. All fancy pants now, but it was just a cool beach town when we were kids.

I've always considered this guy a perverted loser and I have to admit, I am stunned at all of the time that is being devoted to his (possibly) drug induced death. I'm sorry he is dead, but more sorry for his 3 kids that have led such sheltered, strange lives.

I've always considered this guy a perverted loser and I have to admit, I am stunned at all of the time that is being devoted to his (possibly) drug induced death. I'm sorry he is dead, but more sorry for his 3 kids that have led such sheltered, strange lives.

This is a bit harsh but I pretty much agree. He is a huge talent and I certainly enjoyed most of his music. However, I don't think his musical accomplishments should completely overshadow his many failings. I've heard several people say MJ was a great businessman, but yet he squandered several fortunes and end up deeply in debt. More importantly to me is best case the guy had a strange obsession with children, and the worse case he is pedophile who should be in prison.

If people want to mourn the lose of Michael Jackson's music, fine, but I don't mourn the loss of the man.

Not to mention that Farrah Fawcett was way hotter, and turned out to be a fine actress and not just another pretty face.:cool:

At the risk of moving into the political space. I think yesterday also marked the day the Iranian revolution died (for now) and the loss of scores of people fighting for democracy is the real tragedy.

I have to admit that I laughed first about his freak shows and didn't feel anything when i heard about his death. Today I feel different after someone told me that I don't know how it is until I walk in their shoes. I now think he is genuinely talented and a good person.

I read this on CNN and it kinda struck a chord with me--

CNN iReporter Egberto Willies of Kingwood, Texas, summed up the conflicting feelings Jackson engendered among his admirers:

"I grew up on Michael Jackson," Willies said in a video post on iReport.com. "I loved Michael Jackson. I hated Michael Jackson. I admired Michael Jackson. I was ashamed of Michael Jackson. I was sorry for Michael Jackson. I was proud of Michael Jackson."

Michael Jackson tributes appear all over U.S. - CNN.com

Not to mention that Farrah Fawcett was way hotter, and turned out to be a fine actress and not just another pretty face.:cool:

Dunno man - for a while MJ was cuter in the face than his sister Janet. Never really got FF - the poster on permanent prominent display in my juvenile mind room is of Raquel Welch in her bunny skin bikini from the 1 million BC movie poster. Never saw that movie - figured after the poster it couldn't compete. Lots of great leaders and artists are pretty freaky and not people i would want to be around - horrible to their partners, sleazy & disgusting. But the talent shines. Kind of a shame that we learn about all the warts and foibles and perversity - it can detract from the enjoyment of the work. Feel that way about otherwise effective politicians who *shock* have genetalia and human weaknesses. Or abusively aggresive cops who reduce respect for the badge. Lots of news i don't need to know and don't want to use.

I have to admit that I laughed first about his freak shows and didn't feel anything when i heard about his death. Today I feel different after someone told me that I don't know how it is until I walk in their shoes. I now think he is genuinely talented and a good person.

In this case, you'd have to moonwalk in his shoes...

Deepak Chopra and Lisa Marie Presly had some interesting things to say about his addiction to oxycontin. It had been going on for a long time as she divorced him in 1996 and apparently that was the reason for the divorce. Got to love the doctors prescribing the drugs for him. I wonder if his hearing was affected like Rush's.

OK, the TV coverage is starting to make me ill. Shades of Anna Nicole Smith.
Instead of a musically gifted, self indulgent fool he is now the second coming of Christ. The rush for ratings is on.

....I've heard several people say MJ was a great businessman, but yet he squandered several fortunes and end up deeply in debt.

I have not heard anybody say he was a great businessman... a great talent, someone who could recognize and develop talent.. great singer, dancer, entertainer... all yes... great businessman:confused:

Now, sometimes what he did turned out to be a good decision, like buying the Beatles songs, but that was more luck IMO than he being a great businessman...

Never really got FF - the poster on permanent prominent display in my juvenile mind room is of Raquel Welch in her bunny skin bikini from the 1 million BC movie poster.
The submarine I served on in the 1980s was commissioned in 1976, and the far-sighted commissioning engineer officer managed to get both of those posters on the back of his stateroom door. They were turned over from one engineer to the next for the life of the sub. It was the only reason a junior officer ever cared to go near that place.

By the 40th or 50th day of patrol, fistfights would break out over which poster was a better representation of what we were fighting to protect...

I have not heard anybody say he was a great businessman... a great talent, someone who could recognize and develop talent.. great singer, dancer, entertainer... all yes... great businessman:confused:

Now, sometimes what he did turned out to be a good decision, like buying the Beatles songs, but that was more luck IMO than he being a great businessman...

Consider yourself fortunate Texas.

Yesterday in a desperate but futile attempt to escape MJ mania, I listened to BBC World radio program. Alas a mere 20 of 30 minutes of the show was devoted to the gloved one. Including this exchange.

"now we turn to business correspondent Jack. Jack prior to this job covered the music scene for many years and has a unique look at Michael Jackson.

"That's right Jill, the thing most people don't know was what a great businessman Michael Jackson. [a few factoid about how many gizzillion records he sold how it help the record label, the number of copies Thriller sold ya da ya da] Michael also in gain controled of the entire Beatles back in such and such year.

Jill: "But Jack was Michael really responsible for all of his good business deal or was it his people"

Jack: "He had help but Michael was the one doing the negotation he was really a tough businessman and shred negotiater."

At this point I started screaming at the radio. If he is such a great businessman why is he broke

I am waiting for somebody to nominate him for sainthood.

Don't forget that MJ worked with Quincy Jones, one of the best music business managers who ever lived. And oh, he's not broke.

If he is such a great businessman why is he broke

I'll just hazard a guess here, but it probably had something to do with the lawsuits and charges of sex with children. That'll dent your record sales and promotional deals...

Back
Top Bottom