Google Earth

cabbage

Dryer sheet aficionado
My son just showed me "Google Earth" that you download for free. It's Zillow on steroids! This is one you've got to see! :D

It's really great. I use it personally and professionally. Problem is they don't have hi-res imagery in backcountry areas, like Brunswick County, North Carolina. I have to go to the web to find the county website, then use their clunky GIS interface. How archaic!

justin said:
Problem is they don't have hi-res imagery in backcountry areas,
You mean they don't have UNCLASSIFIED hi-res imagery!

Google Earth has plenty of imagery that some would like to classify. Last I checked, it made it very easy to find the naval fuel depot near me, and I don't want that place blown up while I'm in town.

Article

Neat places to look at on Google Earth

Bone Yard

32 10 02.36N
110 51 17.17W

There are others like the BackYard of Nellis AFB, and yes Groom Lake is also there.

Nords said:
You mean they don't have UNCLASSIFIED hi-res imagery!

I know there are classified hi-res imagery, but Google doesn't include the unclassified hi-res imagery (such as in Brunswick County, NC). Not sure if they don't want to pay for the rights to imagery in out of the way places or if Google Earth is still a "work-in-progress" and they haven't gotten around to linking backcountry hi-res imagery. I guess it is still officially in its beta version.

The Brunswick County hi-res imagery is publicly available at their website for free.

Everything at google is in beta, that way they dont have to actually support anything or be liable for problems or if they decide to suddenly pull the plug.

When I was in IT, I discovered that the rules for implementing beta systems were a lot looser and less paperwork prone than production systems. Also, nothing said anything about how long or large a beta test could be.

I converted half the company to a "beta" system before someone made me take it production. And then I was asked by the IT VP to rewrite the beta process. Dang...THAT was a lot of paperwork...

But we got done in six months what would have taken 3 years.

Probably didnt help that I bought one of those big 6' long LED signs and hung it in my department saying "Now serving xx, xxx customers on <product name>". I really didnt want anyone to be able to say I did the conversion in a sneaky manner. "We had a frickin SIGN up for cryin' out loud!"

Geez, I can see my driveway and back yard pretty clear. Discovered who in my neighborhood has swimming pools too. :D Need to make friends with them!

Even my cabin in the mountains is in there too. It was cool to "fly" from one to the other.

Neat stuff!

Hey, you can't fight in here..............this is the War Room. (Dr. Strangelove)

Back
Top Bottom