Grilling Chicken.

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
How do you prepare chicken for the grill?

I typically use a rub. But I am looking for some other ideas.

How do you prepare chicken for the grill?

I typically use a rub. But I am looking for some other ideas.

Marinate at least 12 hours...24 hours is better.

1/4 cup apple juice (real apple juice, not that made-from-concentrate crap)
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 red wine vinegar
1/4 brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce

Cook slowly and baste frequently.

I love grilling.

Here's a marinade I use for chicken pieces or kabobs. Cut up chicken breasts with zucchini, onion, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and this marinade on kabob sticks make a great dish. Serve it on rice, and you have a colorful dish.

4 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic, minced or mashed
1/2 tsp dried rosemary (fresh is better)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

I usually quadruple the recipe and do a big batch of chicken on the grill.

Any citrus juice with garlic, or a really big fave here is lime juice with a couple of shots of tequila! Ziploc bag it and turn a few times in the fridge for 1/2 hour minimum and up to overnight.

Billion ways I do it. But a nice garlic,jalapeno and wine marinade with a bit of smoked paprika and liquid smoke over night. Then there's the old BBQ sauce method. Ive done rubs too. I like chicken anyway its fixed.

I pick up chicken breasts on my way home from work and throw them on the grill with some Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce.

Take half chickens and rub (including under skin) with thai curry paste (red or green) and then soak overnight in coconut milk.

Grill and baste with leftover marinade.

Lemon Tarragon Chicken

Juice a lemon into a ziploc or use 3-4 tablespoons bottled lemon juice. Add a couple of mashed/minced garlic cloves, a couple of teaspoons of dijon mustard, a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, a couple of teaspoons fresh or dried tarragon, pinch of salt, pinch of pepper.

Close and shake to mix, add chicken parts (I prefer thighs...go ahead and make your own joke...) and marinate for 2-4 hours or overnight.

I've also seen this made with a half cup or so of yogurt added to the marinade. I wouldnt marinate it overnight in the yogurt version though, or it'll be a bit mushy.

You may reserve the marinade, bring to a simmer and reduce, then use it as a sauce, but thats not really necessary.

Brick Chicken:

Marinate or do whatever rub you like on the chicken.
Cover a brick with tin foil. Place brick over chicken while cooking. The extra weight condenses the chicken a bit, causing it to cook more quickly. Gives the outside skin just a bit of a crust (in a good way), and helps the inside remain deliciously moist.

Got this idea from Steven Raichlen, of PBS BBQ U. fame.

I do chicken one of three ways normally.

1) A rub of Lawry's Black Pepper Salt, garlic powder, and ground red pepper, then toss 'em on the grill.

2) Or marinate them in a ZipLoc for several hours or overnight in an oil & vinegar type Italian dressing, then toss 'em on the grill.

3) Or marinate them for several hours or overnight in a mixture of Masterpiece 'Original' BBQ Sauce, Jack Daniels Old #7 Tennessee Whiskey, French's yellow mustard, lime juice, honey, ground red pepper, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, minced onions, and anything else I find laying around that sounds good, then toss 'em on the grill.

I use #1 and #3 on beef and pork also.

Dang, now I'm hungry again! :rolleyes:

I pick up chicken breasts on my way home from work and throw them on the grill with some Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce.
Yeah this is what I usually do...(except for the work thing).

Ahhhh Goonie....Jack Daniels...now you're talkin'! :D

Mix up a batch of Good Seasons Italian salad dressing and put the chicken breasts in a ziplock bag, then freeze them for later use.

The Good Seasons dressing comes in a box and a one-time purchase is a marked bottle for the right amounts of vinegar, water and oil added to the mix.

I like the Jack Daniels idea, but it tends to "evaporate" very quickly and doesn't last very long.

I like the Jack Daniels idea, but it tends to "evaporate" very quickly and doesn't last very long.
To get the JD to last longer, Just don't get your glass too close the grill, or else drink it from a larger glass.
food-smiley-005.gif

:D

The alcohol does dissipate quickly once the meat hits the heat, but the flavor remains instilled in the sauce and the meat.

I cant believe nobody has tossed out "beer can chicken" yet...

Where I live, we use beer on our chicken, we drink the beer and then shoot the cans off the fence with a .22, as the chicken is burning on the grill.............:D

Just...dont drink the beer from the can that was used to make the beer can chicken...trust me on this.

Tandoor-ish chicken:

Mix a cup of plain yogurt with generous quantity of curry powder, garlic and cayenne pepper. Use real yogurt (not that fake stuff with emulsifiers and thickeners)!

Soak skinless chicken pieces in fiery dairy dip for an hour or so and grill. Serve it with a nice IPA.

Today I was too lazy to fire up the grill, so I grilled some chicken breasts on my George Foreman Grill. Just used a light rub of Mrs. Dash's Garlic & Herb, and some Lawry's Black Pepper & Salt. 7.5 minutes on medium, and tah-dah.....quick, tasty, and tender grilled chicken sandwiches! Had a nice garden-fresh salad, and some spaghetti pasta with olive oil and garlic. Yum! :D

Dinner took less than 15 minutes...start to finish...to prepare! And only had the 'George', 1 pan, 2 plates, 2 salad bowls, 1 knife (to chop lettuce, onions, zucchini, peppers & 'maters for salads), and 2 forks to clean up afterwards.....another 10 minutes. Time taking out from goofing off for prep & cleanup......25 minutes total. :cool:

Thanks for the ideas.

Marinate in Italian salad dressing.

Quick, easy and usually already in the 'fridge.

I am 10000% impressed with McCormick's marinades...they come in packets as a powder and are often on sale 10/$10. Just add water and oil....put it all in a bag for 4 hrs and it'll be as flavorful as you can imagine. I even use the marinade powder as a dry rub sometimes ...or tonight I mixed it with our Alfredo for a "Spicy Garlic Alfredo w/ shrimp"

It's the same company that makes Montreal Steak Seasonig. My fave is "Southwest"

Back
Top Bottom