Natural gas grill?

OK, I'm a bit OCD and DIY, but I just don't trust assembly of things like that to the local store. The instructions are typically confusing, and doing it right can make a difference to how well it works, or how long it stays together. And when something comes apart because it wasn't put together correctly, that can often lead to damage of other parts. They often just pick a high school stock boy to do the job.

As an example - the movers took apart and put together our old bed frame when we moved. A few weeks later, I realized that one of the insert threaded metal dowels was missing, and the guy just put the bolt in without the fastener. Longer term, that joint would come apart and as it gets loose, the leverage builds up on it and it can get pretty seriously damaged. I picked up a replacement fastener at the hardware store, and checked the whole thing.

-ERD50
They have one older gentleman who builds all the grills. Been working fine.

How many is a "few times"? I've been using the same cheap $200 barbeque for almost 20 years. It still has the original burners, although last year I had to replace the heat shields.

Twice for each. I also replaced the heat shields twice. The grill came with porcelain coated steel grates, the steel rusted out over time. The last time I replaced them with cast iron grates which seems to be holding up much better after a good seasoning. We are in the rust belt. I just checked , we bought this grill in 2002. I'm extremely happy with the quality. My SIL has had 4 grills in the same time frame. I think she just buys a new one when something rusts instead of replacing the parts. Grillparts.com is where I bought replacements.

I can't consistently get a good sear on steak/filet unless, and I put on a griddle.
I get a good sear. I have cast iron grates.

But there are gas grills that have special searing features and maybe you would be happier with one of those.

Last edited:
I can't consistently get a good sear on steak/filet unless, and I put on a griddle.

Yeah, you need cast iron grates which are heaver metal and thicker. Thicker in a way that gives them more surface area for the steak to lay on and sear. There are Webers with a sear station. I haven't used one yet. My grill doesn't have it or cast iron grates. I have the stainless steel grates. They do alright but nothing like a griddle. One trick I've learned though is to move the steak around a bit. When I flip it, I aim for a part of the grill grate that has not been used (for that cook). That way it's good and hot. And, I'll flip it a couple times. On one side, I'm working to get the cross hatch for looks. On the other side, I'm just moving it around to get more of the sear marks.

Another thing is to get that grill smokin hot. When you turn it on, do you crank it up all the way and give it some time to come up to high temp?

Very true, but I once forgot to close my tank and the knob got turned on, lost an almost full propane tank. Imagine if that happens with natural gas, how much will your bill be?
Well that would be bad, but how hard is it to remember to close a shut-off valve at the outlet? I would not rely on the grill itself as the knobs are too easy to bump.

I guess that’s the rhetorical question. Once I turn off the grill I immediately close the valve at the wall.

Well that would be bad, but how hard is it to remember to close a shut-off valve at the outlet? I would not rely on the grill itself as the knobs are too easy to bump.

I guess that’s the rhetorical question. Once I turn off the grill I immediately close the valve at the wall.

I do something similar with my propane. I shut the tank off and then close the knobs for the burners. Once you get in the habit, it's no big deal. That's just the way it's done.

We had a outdoor natural gas grill in our previous home that we enjoyed very much. Easy to operate, with timer to shut it off if we forgot to. The food tasted fine, we used ceramic briquettes and that worked well.

That home was a lot smaller than our current home, but the grill and the screened in 3-season porch are 2 features we miss.

Another possibility or something else to consider is you could use it for a whole house generator.

I've had a natural gas grill for 15 years at our current house. It is great. It has a sear zone that get up to about 1600 degrees for steaks. I also have our whole house generator on natural gas. VERY clean burning and reliable. I only change the oil in the generator every 7 or 8 years because of the actual use and the fact that it burns so clean.

The convenience of NEVER having to swap out a propane tank is a huge convenience. Our previous house had natural gas stubbed for a grill on the patio and it was perfect. Personally I prefer my smoker for most meats but for burgers and dogs, a gas grill is convenient and fast!

I have had both a propane grill and a grill with a natural gas hookup. I did not notice any difference while grilling. Natural gas is more convenient but I was super paranoid and worried that I would forget to turn the natural gas grill off and it would, of course, never run out of gas. I had the natural gas grill for 5 years and I never did forget to turn it off.

Yeah, you need cast iron grates which are heaver metal and thicker. Thicker in a way that gives them more surface area for the steak to lay on and sear. There are Webers with a sear station. I haven't used one yet. My grill doesn't have it or cast iron grates. I have the stainless steel grates. They do alright but nothing like a griddle. One trick I've learned though is to move the steak around a bit. When I flip it, I aim for a part of the grill grate that has not been used (for that cook). That way it's good and hot. And, I'll flip it a couple times. On one side, I'm working to get the cross hatch for looks. On the other side, I'm just moving it around to get more of the sear marks.

Another thing is to get that grill smokin hot. When you turn it on, do you crank it up all the way and give it some time to come up to high temp?

Alas, I have SS grates, but I do let it preheat 15 minutes. I ordered new diffusers and flavor-whatevers and will install, and will report back.

Yes, Audrey, I might have to upgrade with a sear station or see if I can get some cast iron grates. Not sure where to go there, there are so many BTD grills with many bells and whistles. The Kalamazoo is way over the top for this foodie.

Last edited:
Had to buy a new grill last year at a new house with outside NG . Bought a new Weber for NG. So nice not to have to drag those heavy refills to the backyard. On and off with a turn of the spigot. So much easier. No difference in grilling. Do it

Alas, I have SS grates, but I do let it preheat 15 minutes. I ordered new diffusers and flavor-whatevers and will install, and will report back.

Yes, Audrey, I might have to upgrade with a sear station or see if I can get some cast iron grates. Not sure where to go there, there are so many BTD grills with many bells and whistles. The Kalamazoo is way over the top for this foodie.

I replaced my cast iron greates after about 10 years, so they are generally available but cost me $50 then. Funny, we had been using the original ones upside down. :facepalm: Might have contributed to the wear.

But it really depends on how strong of a sear you want. If it’s seriously important you really might want a sear station.

Last edited:
I replaced my cast iron grates after about 10 years, so they are generally available but cost me $50 then. Funny, we had been using the original ones upside down.

I always thought they were supposed to be used both ways. The flat side up for wide sear marks and for things that might tend to slip through, like seafood and vegetables. The narrow side up for the more traditional searing stripes on a steak.

I always thought they were supposed to be used both ways. The flat side up for wide sear marks and for things that might tend to slip through, like seafood and vegetables. The narrow side up for the more traditional searing stripes on a steak.
Interesting, but I much prefer the flat side up and glad we finally figured that out.

Weber says flat side up.

Last edited:
But it really depends on how strong of a sear you want. If it’s seriously important you really might want a sear station.

Or just use a cast iron pan to sear the steaks. That's a lot cheaper than buying a new one with a sear station.

A friend of mine lost his deck to a leaky connection, it turned into a 25 foot jet of flame that eliminated the deck in about 20 minutes or so.

I would put a instant shutoff device on the line at the house.

My father had an issue with the grill and he chose to go back to bottle gas to prevent a runaway fire. I vaguely remember something about an insurance issue, but not sure if I trust my memory on that.

I need to see if I can find a reference to the timer/temp shutoff device.

I replaced my cast iron greates after about 10 years, so they are generally available but cost me $50 then. Funny, we had been using the original ones upside down. :facepalm: Might have contributed to the wear.

I despise the grayish looking color I get when the meat is initially steamed instead of seared. I can get a good sear if I put my cast iron griddle down, then I have to move the meat over until all are seared. Then I take the the griddle off to complete the cooking process. But I look like Edward Flipperhands or the magician moving the 3 cups around to find the marker.

I'll look for some cast iron grates to fit; it's only money.

I forgot to post last week that after replacing all the stainless steel thingies and whatchamacallits, I had a perfect sear for some filets. We will try again next week to check consistency.

I forgot to post last week that after replacing all the stainless steel thingies and whatchamacallits, I had a perfect sear for some filets. We will try again next week to check consistency.

Great!

Back
Top Bottom