Groceries....Buy when needed or stock up?

I hunt and fish, she shops and won't clean fresh caught fish.

Last zombie I killed was done in with a Walther P99 9 mm Luger.;)

Anyway, I have been able to get my wife to stop buying meat for a while, so that we can go through what we have frozen and see what already gets freezer burn and what has not. She did not label anything, so I said we should just thaw a pack of mystery meat and I will think of a dish once I find out if it is beef, pork, or chicken.

Your own personal game of "Iron Chef America" --- and the secret ingredient is ______________

I hunt and fish, she shops and won't clean fresh caught fish.

Her rule, any fish or game had to look like it came from the store before it came in the house. Wife was happy to go fishing, I just had to bait hooks, remove fish, clean fish, all the work of the sport. Never cleaned a zombie.

MRG

Her rule, any fish or game had to look like it came from the store before it came in the house. Wife was happy to go fishing, I just had to bait hooks, remove fish, clean fish, all the work of the sport. Never cleaned a zombie.

MRG

Sounds familiar. DW does not want to see or be around when I am cleaning fish, although she will eat it. Game is required to be cleaned in the field, and if it has/had fur she will not eat it. Have not brought home frog's legs or a snapping turtle, so no idea whether they will pass muster.

Well, it is all readily available... until it is not. It is a trivial cost to hedge against shortages, supply chain disruptions, natural disasters, etc. so I am happy to do so. YMMV.

+1

Several events that have affected friends and acquaintances (not me fortunately) have made me think that having one to two weeks worth of food and water at home is worth the effort. The reality is that in the case of a major natural disaster, we may have to go without help for a week or more. If it occurs in the cold, wet, dark winter, the problems can be even more sever.

+1

Several events that have affected friends and acquaintances (not me fortunately) have made me think that having one to two weeks worth of food and water at home is worth the effort. The reality is that in the case of a major natural disaster, we may have to go without help for a week or more. If it occurs in the cold, wet, dark winter, the problems can be even more sever.

If it comes to that, I have an inexhaustible source of protein that frequents my backyard. Sciurus Niger by the dozens.

If it comes to that, I have an inexhaustible source of protein that frequents my backyard. Sciurus Niger by the dozens.

Neighbors used to make pot pies out of then, more greys than reds, tasty. Can't go buy a meal like that.
MRG

Sounds familiar. DW does not want to see or be around when I am cleaning fish, although she will eat it. Game is required to be cleaned in the field, and if it has/had fur she will not eat it. Have not brought home frog's legs or a snapping turtle, so no idea whether they will pass muster.

Brewer12345,
Have you cleaned a snapper? It can be easy, it's best to know how a turtle is put together, before you take it apart. I learned the hard way!
DW was good with turtle meat, made a great turtle soup.
There's multiple different flavors of meat on a turtle, depending on what parts your tasting. None of it tastes like chicken.

MRG

I do love turtle soup! But no squirrels for me.:sick:
Not even SPP? I like game, especially when traveling and coming across local recipes and such. Even better with a cold beer.

Not even SPP? I like game, especially when traveling and coming across local recipes and such. Even better with a cold beer.

True, many people do like squirrel. I would probably like squirrel if I didn't know what it was. :)

Brewer12345,
Have you cleaned a snapper? It can be easy, it's best to know how a turtle is put together, before you take it apart. I learned the hard way!
DW was good with turtle meat, made a great turtle soup.
There's multiple different flavors of meat on a turtle, depending on what parts your tasting. None of it tastes like chicken.

MRG

I used to accidentally hook them all the time as a kid when I was fishing. Never kept one, as they are tough customers. Nowadays I would put a 22 pill through its head and get on YouTube for cleaning instructions.

Around here, we call them "rats with long and furry tails".:D

That would be "chicken of the tree."

I will be after some on Friday and I am seriously considering altering my usual tinga de pollo recipe to make tinga de squirrelo.

I stock up when non-perishables are on sale. Our grocery store does a "$0.25 off everything store brand" 3x a year, so I'll buy all sorts of bagged or canned food at prices typically half off or more. $0.40 tuna, $0.25 corn/green beans/tomatoes/beans, $0.50/lb brown rice, $0.06 cans of tomato sauce, $0.15 cat food cans (for the cat, folks, for the cat - the market is treating me nicely). All of these things have at least 2 years before they expire, so even buying a case of 24 of something means we only have to consume 1x per month to eat all before it expires.

People look at me kind of odd. As if I know the Zompocalypse is coming and no one else does. I never see anyone else accepting half off their purchases.

My reasoning for the non-perishables is mostly to save money. It's also nice to have an ample supply of staples on hand so I don't have to run out for a can of corn or tomatoes if I need some for a recipe, or just want to throw some in soup.

I'll also buy up meat when it's on sale or on clearance. I bought 80 lbs at Aldi one day when they were selling it for $0.01 to $1.xx per package. I think I paid an average of $0.40/lb for ground beef, ribs, pork chops, ground turkey, steaks, italian sausages, chicken breasts, etc. Packaged compactly into freezer bags, it doesn't take up more than about 2 cu ft in my regular fridge with the freezer on top. 80 lbs lasted our family of 4 (at the time) 3 months including a big cookout.

I don't have a chest freezer because I think it would lead to wasted food (via freezer burn). And it would consume electricity and space.

Edit to add: we have a grocery store a 7 minute walk away, and a few more within 5-6 minutes driving time. So getting fresh fruits and vegetables, milk, and eggs isn't a problem. It's a nice walk if we need lime and avocados for guacamole, or just lime for some margaritas, for example.

Last edited:
I stock up when non-perishables are on sale. Our grocery store does a "$0.25 off everything store brand" 3x a year, so I'll buy all sorts of bagged or canned food at prices typically half off or more. $0.40 tuna, $0.25 corn/green beans/tomatoes/beans, $0.50/lb brown rice, $0.06 cans of tomato sauce, $0.15 cat food cans (for the cat, folks, for the cat - the market is treating me nicely). All of these things have at least 2 years before they expire, so even buying a case of 24 of something means we only have to consume 1x per month to eat all before it expires.

People look at me kind of odd. As if I know the Zompocalypse is coming and no one else does. I never see anyone else accepting half off their purchases.

My reasoning for the non-perishables is mostly to save money. It's also nice to have an ample supply of staples on hand so I don't have to run out for a can of corn or tomatoes if I need some for a recipe, or just want to throw some in soup.

I'll also buy up meat when it's on sale or on clearance. I bought 80 lbs at Aldi one day when they were selling it for $0.01 to $1.xx per package. I think I paid an average of $0.40/lb for ground beef, ribs, pork chops, ground turkey, steaks, italian sausages, chicken breasts, etc. Packaged compactly into freezer bags, it doesn't take up more than about 2 cu ft in my regular fridge with the freezer on top. 80 lbs lasted our family of 4 (at the time) 3 months including a big cookout.

This is the kind of stuff I was waiting to see from you LBYM early retirees! Great job!!!

Never cleaned a zombie.

Zombies are not "good eats"! :sick:

I have not had "chicken of the trees", but am willing to try that. It should be nice lean meat from a herbivore, so what is bad about that?

I have not had "chicken of the trees", but am willing to try that. It should be nice lean meat from a herbivore, so what is bad about that?

I actually find it to be pretty rich tasting. The "other dark meat."

Over the past few years, I have figured out couponing. I just don't have the time to do it each week now while working; but my plan is to do it during retirement.

What it entails is each week, grocery and national drugstore chains (CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens) have sales on certain items (products usually have a 3 month cycle for sales). There are many free websites that will "match" the store sale with manufacturers coupons (either printable online or found in Sunday papers). When you combine the sale or "rewards" with the coupon, you many times can end up getting the item for free. Example - toothpaste is reg. $3.00, sale for $1.50 and then use a $1.00 off coupon and toothpaste is .50 cents. Sometimes the drugstores offer a "reward" on top; which means you get additional money on your card/receipt for your next purchase - that is how many times the items end up being free.

My plan is to use this method to stock up on non perishables like toothpaste, hair color (smile), vitamins, progresso soup, deodorant, soap, shampoo and conditioner, paper plates, paper towels, bath tissue, etc.

Just doing this will really help stretch our grocery budget and it will make me less stressed when I pay extra for something more gourmet or high end.

Over the past few years, I have figured out couponing. I just don't have the time to do it each week now while working; but my plan is to do it during retirement.

What it entails is each week, grocery and national drugstore chains (CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens) have sales on certain items (products usually have a 3 month cycle for sales). There are many free websites that will "match" the store sale with manufacturers coupons (either printable online or found in Sunday papers). When you combine the sale or "rewards" with the coupon, you many times can end up getting the item for free. Example - toothpaste is reg. $3.00, sale for $1.50 and then use a $1.00 off coupon and toothpaste is .50 cents. Sometimes the drugstores offer a "reward" on top; which means you get additional money on your card/receipt for your next purchase - that is how many times the items end up being free.

My plan is to use this method to stock up on non perishables like toothpaste, hair color (smile), vitamins, progresso soup, deodorant, soap, shampoo and conditioner, paper plates, paper towels, bath tissue, etc.

Just doing this will really help stretch our grocery budget and it will make me less stressed when I pay extra for something more gourmet or high end.

Nice!

Coupons are essentially free money. Our granddaughter in college (shares an apartment) and her roommates use coupons. We are lax at using them, though. :blush:

I actually find it to be pretty rich tasting. The "other dark meat."
It must be from all the healthy acorns and nuts that the critters eat. :)

Ain't nothing ratty about that!

Back
Top Bottom