Haircut question for men

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A few guys and I got into a discussion the other day about how often men visit the barber for a haircut.

So, I am asking two questions;

1. What is the longest you let your hair grow? - skinhead, a 1/2 inch, an inch, a few inches, down to the shoulder, ponytail or :confused:?

2. How often do you get it cut to keep it at that length or shorter? (Note: it doesn't matter who cuts your hair only that it is cut)

Me?

1. About 2 inches
2. every other month

Yea, I let myself get rather shaggy at times.

About the same as you, 2 inches before I feel like I need to take the clippers to it. Then I cut it back to about 3/8 inch. So about every 6-8 weeks.

I prefer short hair more than long. I just got haircut about 2 weeks ago in preparation for summer. Short and comfortable.

Never went skinhead but that might be fun to go all the way and see how long before my next haircut after that.

Longest I ever had is back almost shoulder length. If I wish to go long, I cut about once every 12 weeks. Sometimes I get haircut sooner.

Me... 1/2" on top and 1/4" on sides.... about every 6-8 weeks... it generally "feels" long to me at that point.

Sometimes DW does it with clippers we own and sometimes I get it done at the local barbershop.

It grows until DW tells me I need a cut. Basically gets a little over the top of ears? That may change in retirement; dunno what she'll decide (she's the one who has to look at it, not me).

Right now, every 6-8 weeks.

From May thru Sept a #2 buzz cut every month, from Oct thru April it grows long and strong, gotta keep the dome warm in the winter.

When it touches my ears or starts to curl up on the back of my neck, it's time! Can't stand either feeling (21 years of military will do that). I get it cut short (#2 on the sides and back tapered). Go in every 2-2.5 months. I'm frugal:)

I know it's time to get it cut when the comb starts sticking first comb out of shower.

When it gets long enough that the use of a brush/comb would be preferred/beneficial, it's time for it to get cut again. 2 guard on top, 1/2 guard on sides/back, blended in.

:LOL:
Last barbershop haircut was on July 11,1958... the day before I was married.

Use the smallest haircutter comb. Gettin' bald. :(

according to this website, the average cost for a man's haircut is (gulp) $28, and the average haircut frequency is 2 to 3 weeks.

http://www.gq.com/story/haircut-cost-barber

At that rate, I've saved more than $28,000.00 in haircuts. :dance:

Where did the money go? :confused:

8 guard on top, 4 guard on sides/back, every 8 weeks...

I might start to cut my hair shorter as it is getting thinner on top.

Not a male - but I can answer for the 3 men in my household.

DH - uses the flowbee every 6 weeks or so. He's got it down to a science.

Younger son (age 14) - currently growing his hair out - so no haircut in the last 5 months or so... He's got gorgeous ringlet type curls - and bleached blonde hair (from swimming/water polo). It works for him - the girls seem to like the look.

Older son (age 16) - VERY particular about his hair... gets it trimmed every 4 weeks. Longish on top - buzzed on sides and back. Like younger son - the top (longer hair) is bleached out from swim team - and it looks good on him. I clip coupons for the cheap haircut place (greatclips) near us.

I hate haircuts so wait as long as possible. Never shorter than mid-ear.

Even though I've been out of the Air Force for 22 years, I pretty much keep it cut to their standards and get it cut once per month. While in the service it was twice per month.

When kindly people stop me in the streets to offer me spare change, I head for the barber. Usually when the hair and beard get shaggy, about every 6-8 weeks.

I cut my husband's hair. He has naturally curly, with the male pattern baldness at the top/crown and has a full beard. I use corded clippers, and typically he gets it cut about every 4 weeks because he no longer likes wearing it long (which used to be about 2" or so - but it was more poofy than long due to the curls). I do the clippers over hair and beard, use a special guard for taper around the ears, then go back and clean up the neck and cheeks with a razor (I clean up the shaving stuff about 2X a week so he doesn't even have to maintain his beard himself).

We're currently using around a 3/8" to half inch length since it's hot. In winter, I dial it up to about 3/4".

I actually really like doing this and he doesn't mind since I do a better job, and having to pay someone to do a supar job used to bug him. For some reason, he had real difficulty finding someone that could cut curly hair without making it look odd when it grew out.

I'm completely bald on top. Every 2-3 weeks (2 weeks when I'm on top of things, 3 when I get busy or lazy) I have DW run the buzzer over whatever else is left. Not skinhead, because I don't shave it, but pretty dawggone close. Barbershop? Haven't been for 25 years. I figure over 25 years, we've probably saved $10000 from having DW do it instead of the barber, not to mention the time and gas it takes to get there. That said, she's had to get her hair dyed every three weeks for the last 20 years or so...that'd be $25,000 or so, but I don't have the skills to do it for her like she can for me...nor the patience. Mine takes 3 minutes, hers takes 2 hours.

when I set my RE date I started letting it grow. it's now below my ears and at collar length in the back. we shall see how long it gets before feel the urge for a trim.

When it touches my ears or starts to curl up on the back of my neck, it's time! Can't stand either feeling (21 years of military will do that). I get it cut short (#2 on the sides and back tapered). Go in every 2-2.5 months. I'm frugal:)

I'm even more frugal - I've got the Flowbee! :)

Just plug in the vacuum and pop on the attachment!

Lately, I've been tempted to try my cat's Ferminator... I just get the impression that it would pull too much.

Michael

DH still has plenty of hair and he goes to a nice young barber every month or so, $20 including tip for a proper haircut including powder and brushing the debris off his neck with a giant soft brush. I used to cut his hair back in the hippie days (it looked awful) but he's worn it pretty short since then, for 42 years. I think it was $8 back in the day and gradually edged up to but even at a constant $20 a month it is barely more than $10k for 42 years (numbers is hard, maybe I'm wrong, but $240 a year X 42 years?) for something he'd prefer an old-fashioned barber shop to do.

Last edited:
Do it myself at home, w/ a razor. Shave twice a week. Haven't visited a barber in......10 years?

Back
Top Bottom