• Other

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Don't eat corn on the cob

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

38Chevy454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Being I live in Ohio, corn on the cob is a big part of summer meals in this area. Thought I would run a fun poll to see how do you eat corn on the cob?

1) Rows down the length
2) Rings around the diameter
3) Cut off the cob and fried
4) Other
5) Don't eat corn on the cob

I eat it in rows down the length, but DW eats it around the diameter. I do like fried corn as well, but mostly just have it on the cob.

Last edited:
Other - I strip it off the cob using a knife and eat with a spoon.

Unfortunately, I have 3 fixed bridges in front teeth (top and bottom), so eating off the cob is not an option. I guess I'd get funny looks in Ohio.

Fun! I just LOVE fresh sweet corn, grew up on a farm, had the best of the best. It has to be fresh, and not over-cooked (fresh corn is boiled for 3-5 minutes).

So we kid about the 'proper' way to eat it. I 'insist' that you not only eat down the length of the rows, but also from left to right (like reading), and, the stalk end (larger diameter) MUST be on the left, so you are eating downhill! Yes, it matters!!!!! :)

Your teeth just naturally fall in between the rows, it forms a guide. It's the "RIGHT" way to do it, there is no other acceptable way (OK, if your teeth can't handle the chewing, cutting off is just what you need to do, you are excused, but I would need to see a note from your doctor!).

And good, fresh corn, picked at its peak, and not over-cooked, will 'pop' off the cob when you bite into it, just a bit crunchy. If left on the stalk a few days too long, it's a bit more mushy - can still taste good, but usually a bit more starchy, and the lack of that 'snap' takes away from the experience.

It troubles me to see people randomly takes bites out the cob, like patchwork. Kids do this, but I'll excuse them until they are old enough to learn the RIGHT way.

Our dear Daughter-in-law (and her Mom!) have the weirdest way of eating sweet corn I've ever seen. They dig their fork into the cob, just under the kernels, sideways, and then twist it back/forth to release the kernels and then eat from the fork. An abomination! I guess they fear getting the corn stuck in their teeth. Oh well, she's a wonderful person in every other way, I will somehow have to overlook this major character flaw.

Oh, did I get the idea across, that I LOVE sweet corn, and take it very seriously? I have only recently entrusted DW to pick out ears of corn, she has learned how to judge the freshness from how the silk and leaves look, and it should be cool to the touch. The modern varieties of corn hold their sweetness quite well, so they can be a few days from being picked, and still very good, but they need to kept cold/cool. heat destroys that in no time. And I will NEVER buy corn that has been husked - w/o seeing the husk, it's harder to judge it.

Hmmmm, sweet corn! -ERD50

I can’t eat corn on the cob since I’m intolerant to fructose. DW eats across the row. DFIL cuts it off with a knife and eats it.
I’ve never heard of fried corn.

Other - I strip it off the cob using a knife and eat with a spoon.

Unfortunately, I have 3 fixed bridges in front teeth (top and bottom), so eating off the cob is not an option. I guess I'd get funny looks in Ohio.
Similar dental work to my DW, she will at times cut it off the cob to eat it at a meal. I will do the same for any leftovers to eat the next day.

I never thought about it much, but it appears I do the ring technique.

Most of the sweet corn we eat is blanched for 3 minutes, iced, cut-off cob, vacuum sealed and frozen. Last Wednesday we did 8 dozen ears from Tuxedo in Olathe that way, which was picked earlier in the day and stored in boxes on ice prior to our pick up.

I’ve never heard of fried corn.

I'll take leftover corn cut from the cob, fry it up with some bacon, break an egg on top, and you've got a great breakfast.

Keeps me from having withdrawal symptoms from not having corn since dinner! :)

-ERD50

Fun! I just LOVE fresh sweet corn, grew up on a farm, had the best of the best. It has to be fresh, and not over-cooked (fresh corn is boiled for 3-5 minutes). And the water must be boiling before you put the corn in.

So we kid about the 'proper' way to eat it. I 'insist' that you not only eat down the length of the rows, but also from left to right (like reading), and, the stalk end (larger diameter) MUST be on the left, so you are eating downhill! Yes, it matters!!!!! :) I do all these except I don't think I pay attention to which end is on the left. Can I still come to dinner?

Your teeth just naturally fall in between the rows, it forms a guide. It's the "RIGHT" way to do it, there is no other acceptable way (OK, if your teeth can't handle the chewing, cutting off is just what you need to do, you are excused, but I would need to see a note from your doctor!).

And good, fresh corn, picked at its peak, and not over-cooked, will 'pop' off the cob when you bite into it, just a bit crunchy. If left on the stalk a few days too long, it's a bit more mushy - can still taste good, but usually a bit more starchy, and the lack of that 'snap' takes away from the experience.

It troubles me to see people randomly takes bites out the cob, like patchwork. Kids do this, but I'll excuse them until they are old enough to learn the RIGHT way.

Our dear Daughter-in-law (and her Mom!) have the weirdest way of eating sweet corn I've ever seen. They dig their fork into the cob, just under the kernels, sideways, and then twist it back/forth to release the kernels and then eat from the fork. An abomination! I guess they fear getting the corn stuck in their teeth. Oh well, she's a wonderful person in every other way, I will somehow have to overlook this major character flaw.

Oh, did I get the idea across, that I LOVE sweet corn, and take it very seriously? I have only recently entrusted DW to pick out ears of corn, she has learned how to judge the freshness from how the silk and leaves look, and it should be cool to the touch. The modern varieties of corn hold their sweetness quite well, so they can be a few days from being picked, and still very good, but they need to kept cold/cool. heat destroys that in no time. And I will NEVER buy corn that has been husked - w/o seeing the husk, it's harder to judge it.

Love fresh sweet corn as well.

3 rows at a time, down the length for both of us.

We shuck the corn, wrap it in paper towel, wet the paper towel and then wrap in wax paper. Then we put it in the microwave set on potatoes. It comes out just right for us. Our once-a-year treat is when we get some Mirai Super Sweet Corn from the local grower. They say it is so sweet and soft, it can be eaten raw. This year we were told it can even be frozen. Take off just the outer leaves, cut both ends and wrap it zip-lock bags and freeze. We just got our corn and froze it. I'm not sure how it will turn out.

A few rows at a time, right to left. I don't have it often but just happened to have some yesterday.

Microwave whole before shucking, add only butter and salt. Perfect every time.

Last edited:
3 rows at a time, down the length for both of us.

We shuck the corn, wrap it in paper towel, wet the paper towel and then wrap in wax paper. Then we put it in the microwave set on potatoes. It comes out just right for us. Our once-a-year treat is when we get some Mirai Super Sweet Corn from the local grower. They say it is so sweet and soft, it can be eaten raw. This year we were told it can even be frozen. Take off just the outer leaves, cut both ends and wrap it zip-lock bags and freeze. We just got our corn and froze it. I'm not sure how it will turn out.

Microwave has had variable results for us, sometimes very good, other times, shaky, so I gave up on it. But I'm picky, need it cooked just so - I usually test it at 3 1/2 or 4 minutes (take a bite out of, the only sure test0, and will decide on 30 seconds, or 60 second longer.

I've also read another method, I'll post later, go to run, - bring X quarts/ear to a boil. put the corn in, take off the heat, cover, and let it sit for 20~30 minutes. Kinda like sous-vide style, the temperature drops over time, so it won't over-cook. I'm not sure I want to trust it to cook it to just the right point though.

Oh, and for freezing, I've always heard to blanch it first.

As far as 'toppings' a little butter, a little salt, and a little fresh ground pepper. If the corn is past its prime, I might add the hot sauce/lime.

-ERD50

There is no wrong way to eat corn on the cob as long as it is covered in butter. i never really thought about it but I guess I eat in rows. I'm not a really big fan of corn on the cob though. I prefer my corn in the form of creamed corn on top of mashed potatoes.

Length for me. Always with butter, sometimes salt.

Fun! I just LOVE fresh sweet corn, grew up on a farm, had the best of the best. It has to be fresh, and not over-cooked (fresh corn is boiled for 3-5 minutes).

So we kid about the 'proper' way to eat it. I 'insist' that you not only eat down the length of the rows, but also from left to right (like reading), and, the stalk end (larger diameter) MUST be on the left, so you are eating downhill! Yes, it matters!!!!! :)

+100

With you all the way! One row at a time; sometimes with some smoked paprika.!

I have always eaten corn in proper "typewriter" fashion - down the length left to right, carriage return and platen advance, down the length left to right. My brother always ate random patches here and there, which made me cringe. A sure sign of a disordered mind.

I eat it with a little salt and a lot of butter.
Rings around the diameter is the only way (I disagree with Karen below). Rows would be too messy. We cut it off the cob occasionally for certain recipes like Esquites, but never if we're just having corn on the cob as a side.

There is nothing like fresh sweet corn straight off the stalk, I had an uncle who was a corn farmer. If you've never had it really fresh, you have to make the opportunity for yourself.
If you eat your cob straight across like a typewriter chances are you're pretty stable. You fold your clothes when you put them away, own a Golden Retriever and can generally be counted on to pick your spouse up from the airport on time without challenging anyone in the parking lot to a cage match.

You're eating corn the right way. The way almost everyone eats corn. Anyone around who's watching you can relax and enjoy their day.

If you eat your corn around the cob in circles it's a clear indication you could go rogue at any minute. You're a hippie, a wild child, maybe even an artist. You're basically immoral and everyone watching you knows it. YOU have parking tickets. Unpaid parking tickets. And you probably drank kombucha when everyone still thought it was a poisonous alien life form.

But you're not a complete lunatic.

If you eat your corn in a non-sensical pattern, you're giving a warning sign to everyone around you. One bite here, one bite there, another bite over on the other side until your corn on the cob looks like it has meth mouth.

Once anyone at the BBQ sees you eating your corn like this, you might as well get your fill of everything within arm's reach. Pack smoked ribs into your purse, dump a potato salad into your pants ... whatever you need to do, because you're not going to be invited to another grilling get together ever.
https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/are-you-eating-corn-the-right-way/

Last edited:
Eating rows of corn is a matter of perspective. If the cob is held in a vertical position, the rows are circular and taste just as good.

When I eat corn on the cob I alternate between eating along the long side and eating complete ring sections.

boiled, eat left to right, row by row, buttered and salted lightly, and use little corn fork holders.
Dad grew up on a midwest farm, that's how we learned growing up!

UMMmmm, nothing better than fresh sweet corn right from the stalk, boil in a pot at the end of the field! Had lots of corn feeds with my cousins.

Boiled, drenched in butter (I melt half a stick in the microwave and pour it on) and then heavily salted. And eaten in rows, from the small end to the large, left to right. The small end is ALWAYS on the left, in accordance with galactic law.

I am growing Silver Queen corn in my garden. The first tranche of it will be ready to eat in about a week. I am really looking forward to it. I have two more tranches after that, each planted two weeks apart.

Back
Top Bottom