• Cut off the cob and fried

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Don't eat corn on the cob

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gal just sent me a video regarding the natural way to eat corn. Not my way, but some of you can now claim ownership of the true and natural way:

url]

Gal just sent me a video regarding the natural way to eat corn. Not my way, but some of you can now claim ownership of the true and natural way:

url]

And for those of us who *hate* 'shorts', here's the converted version which gives you back the controls that 'shorts' strip away from you for no reason (just replace "shorts/" in the URL with "watch?v=", then you can actually click the time/scrub bar to advance, or use your arrow keys, instead of waiting all 60 seconds to see if anything different happens:

-ERD50

Cut it off the cob and fried... (Seriously) Love being an outlier on just about everything here.

We had silver queen corn on the cob again tonight. Steamed, with butter and salt, and again eaten properly in typewriter fashion. But we will soon be inundated with more corn than we can eat, so we will steam it, then strip the kernels from the cob and freeze them in sandwich bags. We will use them for corn and crab chowder over the winter, as well as anything else that requires corn.

On my last visit my niece grabbed a leftover cob from the fridge and was walking around the yard eating it cold holding it in one hand like a popsicle and munching the cold corn off of it. -She's a little weird though. Healthier snack than many kids would have grabbed though!

Husk off, 3 min in microwave and 1 min add for each additional ear. Brush with toasted sesame oil, sprinkle of salt and gnaw away. Up, down, all around; it’s all good. I’ll be missing it come fall.

Husk off, 3 min in microwave and 1 min add for each additional ear. Brush with toasted sesame oil, sprinkle of salt and gnaw away. Up, down, all around; it’s all good. I’ll be missing it come fall.

Toasted sesame oil sounds good too. Though I am kind of a purist, I almost always go with the basics of butter, salt, pepper - but a little change is good (especially for a re-heated cob for lunch).

Someone upstream mentioned smoked paprika. I tried a light dusting of that on my lunch corn the other day - really good, gives it a bit of smokey flavor as if the corn was grilled (which I like, but hard to get the done-ness just right, and most of the smoky fragrance I get from grilling seems to come in the husk anyway, and doesn't really make it into the corn itself - but I still love the smell).

-ERD50

2011 was the last year we raised corn. My FIL was the main gardener and his health diminished after that. 2011 was a low yield year, but I had fun using my new tractor. After we shucked the corn, we took it over to FIL's house where we processed it and put it up in the freezer. It was a long days work but the corn was never so good.

Attachments

• Corn Tractor.jpg
    Corn Tractor.jpg
    810.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Corn Tubs.jpg
    Corn Tubs.jpg
    944.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Corn Freezer.jpg
    Corn Freezer.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 15
I found it:

OK, so now I may have to post here AND in the War Movie thread.

I mentioned I saw that with DW when it came out in the theater, and despite a few goofy tech things, I recall it being a pretty good movie (but did not recall the buttering the corn scene). So we streamed it, and I still thought it was pretty good - funny, but with a serious message about the arms race. I just realized, some parallels with Dr Strangelove.

-ERD50

2011 was the last year we raised corn. My FIL was the main gardener and his health diminished after that. 2011 was a low yield year, but I had fun using my new tractor. After we shucked the corn, we took it over to FIL's house where we processed it and put it up in the freezer. It was a long days work but the corn was never so good.

Love the photos, Jerry!

That's a lot of corn! I have mentioned before that I grow Silver Queen corn, and it is more than the young wife and I can eat. Today, there were twelve ears at the peak of ripeness, so we picked them, steamed them all and ate four off the cob for dinner. I stripped the kernels off the other eight and put them in freezer bags, but I only put one cup of corn per bag.

For freezing things like corn, I've heard (and have had some positive experience) in spreading out the corn in a thin layer on a baking sheet, let it freeze, and then bag it.

The quick freeze with a thin layer maintains the texture better, and will separate easier when removed from the bag, so it can defrost the same way. But 1 cup to a bag would probably freeze pretty quickly.

-ERD50

Secret corn cooking techniques they don't want you to know....

Been eating corn on the cob for decades and when we swerved towards making Mexican street corn I started to break free from the 'boil it' or 'grill it' narrow styles.

One day I was in the grocery when the new, fresh, just-picked corn showed up and several folks were grabbing their cobs of food love. I mentioned something about street corn techniques and another shopper said that they had learned a while back that the simplest was the best - for them.
I have to agree after 5-6 years of doing it this way.
1. Buy corn after avoiding any with semi-decayed tips
2. Remove dangling cornsilk and extraneous husk leaves (some may be a little 'musty' looking). Leave the primary husk leaves on!
3. Chop off the potentially extra long corn stalk where the husk leaves all connect but not so much that the leaves come loose.
4. Put into the microwave and heat in 1 minute-ish increments on HIGH until they can't be handled barehanded easily. Steaming baby!
5. Take a really sharp knife and cut off the end where the leaves attach so they are all separated. Serrated knives work well.
6. Remove the leaves and silk - the silk separates pretty easily. Sometimes we can squirt out the cooked cob by squeezing from the stalk end. No fuss, no muss and oddly satisfying...... (reddit)
7. Butter, salt and pepper and you're good to go unless.....
8. At this point one could do a little grilling of the cobs prior to slathering them with the Mexican street corn mayo-concoction and spices or maybe cutting the kernels off for other personal recipes.

The real point is this is a great way to get the kernels in a state that they can be routed to a delicious eating experience.

PSA1: It may require some oven mitts to keep from overheating your hands particularly while cutting off the stalk and removing the husk.

PSA2: Corn is cheap so don't hesitate to try variations of this technique and find the one that finally makes your grandkids realize you know something useful.

I cook it in the microwave. For a while I used the wet paper towel method (described above in #11), but then I read that if you cook it UNSHUCKED in the microwave, the leaves peel off very easily afterwards without leaving behind any of those pesky, stringy threads. I was very skeptical about this, but tried it & was amazed -- it works beautifully. For me, 2 min & 45 seconds of cooking is perfect. So much faster than waiting for a pot of water to boil -- not to mention it's nice to avoid boiling a big pot of water in the kitchen on a hot summer day.

Yes, I eat it in rings, rotating the cob, with the fat end on the left. I didn't realize there was any other way! Seems natural because the kernels on the fatter end tend to be a little bigger & plumper so why not eat them all first? -- & by the time you get to the other end, those taste pretty good too!

OK, this was very good! Thank you! The first time I didn't cut enough at the end and I still had a bunch of silk to deal with. Second time I cut at the first row and there was barely any after I slid the corn out of the silk. Both times it was very tasty! Better than steaming, a lot better than boiling, tons better than grilling (because I don't like dried out charred kernels and that's tough to avoid). I did 3 minutes (the link you gave later suggested 4) and I'll try 2:45 as you did to try to dial in perfection.

We put it on the microwave with the husks on on top of a paper towel. For two about 3 minutes. Then we let it cool a bit, take the husk off and bite into it.

I don’t put anything on mine. My husband puts butter.

Just ate our 2nd Olathe piece of corn. Leave last few husk leaves on, microwave for 2.5 minutes, let sit for a short while, shuck, butter salt pepper, perfect!

I used to be a row eater, but now I have a hybrid style. I do a circle on each end first, to hold the cob, then I do horizontal rows on the rest.

I love the old cartoons where a figure eats the corn a row at a time with typewriter sounds.:cool:

2011 was the last year we raised corn. My FIL was the main gardener and his health diminished after that. 2011 was a low yield year, but I had fun using my new tractor.
Looks like you were almost as serious about sweet corn as my family! I grew up on an Iowa farm, and we ate a LOT of corn. My dad would load up his 8-row corn planter and make several passes in the "garden" (small field). That's a LOT of corn. Come harvest time, we'd get the water boiling, then go down to the garden and pick a load. Then RUN up to the house, shucking on the fly. Back then the corn lost sweetness rapidly as soon as you picked it, so you wanted to get it into the boiling water as quickly as possible.

We would eat 6-8 ears apiece at one meal.

Back
Top Bottom