Haitian donations

73ss454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Does anyone know the best way to donate to help the people in Haiti.:(

I'd venture to say the Red Cross....at least I know that they are there doing something! There are (and will be) so many 'organizations' scamming money from folks for 'relief efforts in Haiti', that I'd be pretty darn leery of giving to others (unless I could verify that they are, indeed, legitimate organizations. That just my view, for what it's worth.

Yeah, I thought of Red Cross but I remember reading an article about the bonuses the big wigs get. I'd like my donation to go to the people of Haiti, not some fat cat.

I'll throw out one we have donated to in the past when these unfortunate natural disasters stirke. Americares.

Also, check out charitynavigator.org for some other suggestions and to verify how your favored charity ranks in terms of efficiency. Red Cross is a constant favorite, but spends about 10% of their collections on overhead and administrative expenses.

From charitynavigator's "featured" charities for Haiti relief (not all the highest rated):

Salvation Army

Salvation Army, they have been in Haiti for many years. Their staff pay is modest, top notch emergancy aid skills and their history of helping others long. International Salvation Army: Home

X2 On Doctors Without Borders, sent them some $$, we work with and support Habitat For Humanity and Heifer Project but feel that DWB are great first responders. After the initial medical help Haiti will need everything else too, so don't let up. We worked in the Gulf Coast with HFH a year after Katrina and they were still hurting, and that is the US.

My wife had me donate to UMCOR today. According to my wife, 100% of the funds go to supporting the relief effort.

UMCOR - United Methodist Committee on Relief (Haitian Emergency)

Thanks everyone, I like UMCOR with 100% going to how needs it. Also the Red Cross has a text from the cell phone set up. You just put in Haiti and then a code, I think it's 90999. My DW did it and I forgot the code but I'm sure it's all over the internet. It's only 5 or 10 bucks depending on the code but it's something.

Heard this morning on the news that Red Cross will be bringing 45000 refugees from Haiti to Florida.

Never heard of UMCOR before, but Charity Navigator gives them good marks. They do have some operating expenses, so it's not 100% of donations that go to their programs, but it is in the high 90's - which is very good compared to a lot of other charities. CN shows charities with similar ratings for efficiency, and which are working to provide relief in Haiti are:

ADRA:

Doctors Without Borders | MSF USA

Episcopal Relief & Development - Home

Never heard of UMCOR before, but Charity Navigator gives them good marks. They do have some operating expenses, so it's not 100% of donations that go to their programs, but it is in the high 90's - which is very good compared to a lot of other charities.

I checked UMCOR's web site again and it notes that for "The Advance (which) is an official United Methodist program that gives you the opportunity to give to the ministry of your choice" guarantees that "100% of your gift will go to the ministry you choose. No exceptions."

The Haitian Emergency Effort falls under The Advance program.

My wife told me that the UMCOR operating expenses are supported through apportionments paid by local UM churches.

I'm not Methodist so I'm indifferent as to how the funds make it to those in need as long as expenses for the organization are low. In the past I tended to use the Red Cross for these types of emergencies.

I contributed thru the cell phone program by texting Haiti to 90999, so $10 will go to the Red Cross' dedicated efforts in Haiti. So far, this effort has raised more than $5 million.

The other organizations noted by previous posters are all legit and all do good work.

I noted when I was at the supermarket yesterday that they were taking donations for Haiti I think on behalf of the Red Cross. Supermarket involved is Luckys.

I went with World Vision. They have worked in Haiti for over 30 years, have relatively low administrative costs, and they will tell you what your donation can buy. e.g. $550 will buy 10 emergency kits for 10 families.

The Canadian government is matching individual donations up to $50m.

After observing the relief effort here after Hurricane Katrina, I would strongly urge giving to the Salvation Army. They jumped right in and were tireless, and both saw what was needed and provided it as best they could. Their effort for our city was absolutely phenomenal and made a difference, and was greatly appreciated by New Orleanians.

Back
Top Bottom