Salvation Army Business Model

joesxm3

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My local charity seems to collect donations and then give the stuff to needy people or se!l it for a token price so they can save face.

I am trying to donate several cases of depends and went to the salvation army store. They seem to be trying to sell donated stuff to generate money for some other activities instead of passing stuff along to needy people.

Is that how they operate? Are they a worthy charity?

My local charity seems to collect donations and then give the stuff to needy people or se!l it for a token price so they can save face.

I am trying to donate several cases of depends and went to the salvation army store. They seem to be trying to sell donated stuff to generate money for some other activities instead of passing stuff along to needy people.

I consider Salvation Army to be top*notch. So does Charity Navigator. So does Guidestar.

I believe SA is one of the top charities for giving back a high percentage of the money donated to help people. Their paid personal are one of the lowest paid and I believe their overhead costs are low also.

Do research for most trusted charities. I believe they are one of the top 5 charities.

https://www.forbes.com/lists/top-charities/?sh=79e005e85f50

I would say yes to both questions. You are correct that they sell donated items through their thrift stores to raise money for their shelters, etc. They sell their goods for pennies on the dollar, so in addition to fund raising, it supplies goods to the working poor who otherwise would have difficulty affording many of these items.

Agree. There is no more pristine charity than the Salvation Army.....The director is the highest paid employee at the Salvation Army and he makes only $123,000 a year......They are top notch. Always have been. And they are always there....I remember they got into help during Hurricane Katrina when no-one else was there.....Class act....They know what it means to simply help people.

Thanks.
They seem willing to send a truck to pick up furniture. I will keep them in mind as we are emptying step dads home before selling it.

This is how all charities that own thrift stores operate. They sell the items that are donated and then use the money to operate their programs. SA is my favorite one because most of the money goes to help people. They house men with substance abuse issues and put them to work in their warehouses and thrift stores which helps them gain job skills.

Spending my career in human services I can’t tell you how many men were able to get sober and off the streets because they were given a place to live for 6 months with support to stay sober.

Back
Top Bottom