Hard boiled egg problem halp!

Notmuchlonger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Boiled some eggs last night. They were cooked properly (as far as I know). Put in water bring to boil. Take off heat and cover for 20 minutes.

However my problem is the shell does not want to release itself from the shell properly. This does not happen on every egg which is a bit perplexing. Thus I loose tasty egg white while attached to the shell

I call on the ER Forum experts to help me with my egg white sticking to the shell problem!

Thats a little longer than I let them sit in the hot water before giving them a cold water bath and peeling. Fresh eggs wont peel as well as older eggs. Eggs in the same carton may not have been laid on the same day.

So leave some eggs in the back of the fridge until they get closer to their expiration date and boil those.

Ya they were fresh. Ill try the fresh egg thing you speak of!

After they eggs are completely cooled try sticking them back in the boiling water for 10 seconds. Then run some cold water over them just enough to cool them so you can peel them.
Fresher eggs have more white in them so when you boil and cool them the white is plastered against the shell, heating up the shell again when the white has cooled and hardened makes it expand away from the white.

Yes, use less-fresh eggs. And best to shell them right away. My method--drain the boiling water off, put the lid back on the pan, shake the pan with the eggs in it quite vigorously to crack the shells all over (this step is fun), take lid off pan, run cold water over the eggs, and watch shells slip right off.

Do they keep as well in the fridge this way? I usually boil dozen but eat them slowly over a week or so. How do you store them once shelled?

When working, I boiled 10 for the week (older) on Sunday and peeled 2 of them the night before work and put them in plastic containers.

I shell them and then store them in a bowl covered with lightly salted water in the fridge.

The slight sulfur smell in the eggs will leech out into the water, and the eggs will absorb a little of the water keeping them from becoming dried out or rubbery.

They're good for a week, and easy to eat. I keep the bowl within Gabes reach and he helps himself when he wants one.

Makes perfect egg salad thats not too dry.

Wow, I never that my boiling of eggs that were at or slightly over the expiration dates resulted in easier to peel hard boil eggs.

I think go will boil some eggs now!

Eggs have porous shells, so they constantly give up moisture and induct air. At some point they become nasty icky bad eggs. At another point just before that, they've picked up some mildly icky fridge smells and the area between the membrane and the shell has dried out and the membrane has started breaking down. You go and add boiling water and that little space between the shell and membrane hydrates suddenly and separates. Prior to that, the membrane is stuck to the shell and welds itself in place in response to heat.

The nice part about giving them a little water bath for a few days is that the icky fridge smells and the inherent mild sulfur smells get drawn off.

I usually boil up a dozen and just put them back in the carton in the shell and into the fridge. When I want one, I just crack the shell and peel it off with no difficulty. I have not had any issues with spoiling or the eggs picking up any other food odors over a two week span after they are boiled.

Back
Top Bottom