Harriet Tubman to be on the $20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plans made last year to remove first Treasury secretary Alexander Hamilton — the
inspiration for a hit Broadway musical — from the $10 bill were dropped,
however, in the face of popular opposition.

Looks like it's time to begin opposition to canceling out one of my favorite presidents, Jackson.

So the popularity of a Broadway show has changed the direction that the Treasury Dept was taking?

I know there was early opposition but it seems the show's popularity was the clincher.

I think this is very cool. A far better choice than some in the past.

The new $20 bills won't be in circulation until 2030. That's still quite a time away. Will there still be paper money around in 2030? :LOL:

Last edited:
The new $20 bills won't be in circulation until 2030. That's still quite a time away. Will there still be paper money around in 2030? :LOL:
How about 2020?

Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew on Wednesday said he’s asked the agencies involved in currency design to speed up changes to the $5, $10 and $20 bills.

If the Treasury has its way, the newly designed $20 bill will enter circulation much sooner than first thought, with the new designs ready by 2020.
The only thing that worries this Harriet Tubman advocate about the $20 bill - MarketWatch

Good question!

I don't care if you put Alfred E Neuman on it. I just hope I'll still be able to buy something with it.

Will there still be paper money around in 2030? :LOL:

Lots of it. All buried in the back yard. There will be no maps showing the locations. At least with gold or silver coins there might be a chance of finding them with a metal detector, but I'm pessimistic about the bills.

More seriously, I see that the $10 will also be changed, and sooner.

The new $10 design will depict that historic march and honor Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Alice Paul for their contributions to the suffrage movement. The front of the new $10 will continue to feature Alexander Hamilton, our nation’s first Treasury Secretary and the architect of our economic system.

https://modernmoney.treasury.gov

And a nice summary of the history:

[URL="http://gizmodo.com/an-illustrated-history-of-american-money-design-1743743361]An Illustrated History of American Money Design[/URL]

Last edited:
Maybe it's me, but I have to say that even in a contest, I couldn't tell you who is on our money except for the $1 and $5 and Franklin on the $50.

After that, I never really bothered to pay that much attention. I'd have guessed that Jefferson was on the $20.

So the popularity of a Broadway show has changed the direction that the Treasury Dept was taking?

I know there was early opposition but it seems the show's popularity was the clincher.

Treasury was looking at replacing Hamilton on the $10, but there was public opposition, so they dropped that. Maybe the show did help.

:) Already done - it takes a $50 in 2016 to buy what a $20 would purchase in 1982.

Amen to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom