Has anyone here mounted an HDTV on the wall???

Actually, they find the nails in the studs.

Obviously some of us still use previous century tools. Magnetic stud finders are so 1980. :LOL:

The newer ones use either radar or some sort of capacitance differential that I don't quite understand. But they find the edges and the center of the stud, with nails or without.

You probably use one of those levels with the water and the bubble, too. The future is lasers, kid! :LOL:

I have a 50 inch plasma on a wall mount. It's not hard to do as long as you can locate the wall studs. Definitely a two person job for a large TV.

You probably use one of those levels with the water and the bubble, too. The future is lasers, kid! :LOL:

Why yes, yes I do. I have a very nice Stanley model 42-321 24 inch brass bound hardwood level. It works like a champ. http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/poe512000_2126_51175473

Recently, the level vials dried out. I emailed Stanley and they sent me replacements for free.

An alternate solution: they sell small TV stands that are only 8-10" deep, wood, and give lots of space to store system components, DVDs, etc. The flat panel tv sits on top without any wall mounting, and they're about the right height for viewing.

Especially nice if you might want to move it around some day, and gives you a place for your DVDs, etc. Not quite as elegant as a clean wall-mounted arrangement but worth a thought.

Rich, could you link to one of these? I have been wanting to get rid of the Ethan Allen type stand that I now have and I really don't want to be mounting heavy stuff on my apartment wall. How much do they cost?

Ha

Rich, could you link to one of these? I have been wanting to get rid of the Ethan Allen type stand that I now have and I really don't want to be mounting heavy stuff on my apartment wall. How much do they cost?

Ha

TV stand 8 10" - Google Product Search

I would get one of these rather than a wall mount.

Well, it can't be all that difficult it I actually understood M Paquette's explanation. Sounds relatively simple...heavy to lift the tv maybe but certainly not complicated the way it reads.

OP:

One suggestin to all. I would mount a horizontal piece of wood, to "snag" at least 3 studs. Then attach the TV mount to the horizontal piece of wood.

This would give you some room to "adjust" the location of the TV on the wall.

I would also use at a minimum " 2 " screws per stud. For a total of 6 screws. minimum. (I would probably use a few more, overkill better).

If you have ever looked a vertical stud, only 1 1/2 inch thick, unless you hit it dead on center, could be a weak attachement.

By using a "horizontal " piece of wood, would be a very strong.

Not sure if I'm explaining this very clear, any handyman, should be able to understand.

Last edited:
I vote for a higher TV stand because to me this solution seems easier and more flexible.

OP:

One suggestin to all. I would mount a horizontal piece of wood, to "snag" at least 3 studs. Then attach the TV mount to the horizontal piece of wood.

This would give you some room to "adjust" the location of the TV on the wall.

I would also use at a minimum " 2 " screws per stud. For a total of 6 screws. minimum. (I would probably use a few more, overkill better).

If you have ever looked a vertical stud, only 1 1/2 inch thick, unless you hit it dead on center, could be a weak attachement.

By using a "horizontal " piece of wood, would be a very strong.

Not sure if I'm explaining this very clear, any handyman, should be able to understand.

This would be strong, but it is overkill IMO. If you mount the bracket to a stud you have all four screws in wood, and that's pretty strong. The only reason I would go with this suggestion is if you want to center the TV between studs, and even then running a support piece between the two studs would be plenty. I can understand wolf's reasoning for this, but I've seen a bunch of TVs mounted on walls, and AFAIK there isn't an epidemic of brackets ripping out the drywall and the stud and dropping the TV on the floor. I'm sure there are a few, but I suspect they tried to mount in drywall with plastic anchors or something. A 42" TV isn't that heavy. Maybe if you were going to a 55" or something.

Having said that, I tend to agree with Rich and the stand people. It's a lot easier, more flexible, and if you have peripherals (cable box, dvr, dvd player, wireless headphone base unit, etc) you're going to need somewhere to put all that stuff anyway. Most people mount their TVs too high and end up with neck aches. If you do mount it, Crutchfield has all sorts of good info on distances, heights, TV sizes, etc.

They want $247 x 2 they said to come to your house
(plus the cost of the mount)

I does seem high, but how far are you from the store? Figure 2 guys, a truck, may half-hour each way? It really should only take an hour for two guys who have done it before to get both installed. Maybe a bit more if they need to spend some time with you confirming the placement, maybe moving some furniture, etc.

Then add some profit overhead, liability ins, etc. Hmmm, still seems high in the middle of a recession and high unemployment for a job that requires pretty minimal skill. Four work-hours @ $100/hour leaves another $100. They are free to think differently on this, but if I ran BestBuy, I would not be looking to make a big profit on this - providing the service at a fair price will increase sales of TVs and stands. Now, if you called them and said you bought the part on the internet and just want it installed, they need to go for more profit - but again, in this economy, I wouldn't turn the job down for a reasonable price.

Did this price include doing anything with the cables? As others mentioned, that can add up fast.

-ERD50

I have mounted 4 of them.

I ran the electrical cord and coax through a grommet in the wall ...

Just FYI, but I think that is probably against code to run an electrical cord through a wall like that. Since you did it and are aware of it, I don't consider it much of an actual safety issue at all. But if a squirrel chewed through it or some other issue and you had a fire, your insurance company might see things differently?

Slim-to-no chance of that happening, I think the code is there to keep people from doing it willy-nilly all over their house and esp having something in one room and the plug is in another room with the cord going through the wall. That would make it tougher to unplug in an emergency (not that there aren't plenty of cases like that already - codes are there to improve the odds as I see it).

-ERD50

Just FYI, but I think that is probably against code to run an electrical cord through a wall like that. Since you did it and are aware of it, I don't consider it much of an actual safety issue at all. But if a squirrel chewed through it or some other issue and you had a fire, your insurance company might see things differently?

Yup.

Electric cords in the wall is Right Out. There are a few good reasons for this.

Besides rodent damage, the material used for a flexible cord ages differently than the stuff used for house wiring. The cord's plastic jacket and the insulation on individual wires tends to become brittle with age and warmth. Zip cord is the worst offender. I've pulled zip cord out of walls that just crumbled into bare wires and dust.

The cords also break down differently than Romex/NM/BX/TECK house wiring in a fire, and have rather different fire resistance. (Like, little to none!)

Flexible power cords are assumed to be visible, checked by the user, and replaced when damaged. When hidden in a wall it hard to do this.

There are some simple gadgets to make safe in-wall wiring of power to a wall-mounted TV easier. I haven't used these as my wall-mounts were done in a fit of remodeling, and electrical runs to surge-protected outlets were made to code, inspected, and signed off.

The AV cables run through those in-wall chases should all be marked CL2 or CL3 to meet most local fire codes. In some communities, the AV cables must be 12" from the power wiring, or in a different stud bay.

It's easier to just use paintable wire molding for most DIY installations, which is why I suggested that to orchidflower.

Slim-to-no chance of that happening, I think the code is there to keep people from doing it willy-nilly all over their house and esp having something in one room and the plug is in another room with the cord going through the wall. That would make it tougher to unplug in an emergency (not that there aren't plenty of cases like that already - codes are there to improve the odds as I see it).

Any sort of thru-the-wall install has to be done just right. This particular installation has a door installed for easy access.

bad_TV_install.jpg

-ERD50

Thanks - I really never thought about codes when I did it. The Tv is high on the wall so the cord is only in the wall for about 2' (probably still against code). Its probably also against the code to have my receptacle and Directv receiver above the drop ceiling panels, but I can get to these if when I have to.

And yet another option- get a piece of wood just larger than the TV mount. Sand it, stain it, make it look nice - attach the mounting kit to the wood. Put about 6 holes in the wood big enough for toggle bolts. use a stud finder and locate the studs, then put the wood on the wall and mark the holes where the studs aren't. Use the toggle bolts to attach the piece of wood to the wall, mount the tv to the mounting kit. This has several advantages: if you do have connections on the back of the TV you can build a stand-off made out of wood into your board, mount cable routing pieces to it, etc. You also don't have to try and align the mounting holes with the studs if you use toggle bolts. Very easy to fill the holes with drywall compound if you remove the wood later. I have an art piece that weighs about 500lbs mounted to the wall using 12 toggle bolts and wood and its held well for years.

Any sort of thru-the-wall install has to be done just right. This particular installation has a door installed for easy access.

bad_TV_install.jpg

The top picture looks pretty impressive. But the poor wall in the bottom picture :(

Orchidflower, I am getting a new LED HDTV delivered next Saturday (got rid of my two older sets via a local thrift store who came and hauled them out). I bought my new TV from the husband of a friend. I paid somewhat more for the set by purchasing it from a small, local audio/electronics dealer, but he (the husband) and a friend of his are going to install it on my wall as a courtesy. Friend has said that if I have any future problems (I am always doing something with the settings and remote and dvd), I have only to call, and she will dispatch him (we live five minutes apart).
I do not think he is aware of the extent of her generosity, but I would not avail myself of the latter offer in any case. Eventually I figure stuff like this out for myself although it might take a day or two. Or three.

ERD50:
"Did this price include doing anything with the cables? As others mentioned, that can add up fast."

I don't think so. And I live exactly 10 minutes drive from the place.
I'm going along with the poster who said if they sold more service calls they would sell more tv's. I think it's ridiculous the gouging they are trying to get away with. Even the girl who was in the tv section and gave me the details totally agreed (on the Q.T.) that they really overprice this one. I am totally disappointed in them.

By the way, I know Best Buy a couple years ago has or had just started a group that searches the internet for anything about the company (complaints, compliments and so forth). I hope to heaven they see these posts about how much they are gouging folks on their installation charges and how stupidly greedy it is = total turn-off to Best Buy.

I like this one: Software Install - Configure Software, Software Updates

Install ONE software title for $129.99.

• Determine computer compatibility for, install/repair and configure 1 software title
  • Perform necessary software updates
  • Create desktop, start menu and quick launch bar access shortcuts
  • Software NOT included

They must sell some of this stuff or it wouldn't be offered.

harley:

I agree, my suggestion is probably overkill, but I live in California.

We have EARTHQUAKES.

Also, I was thinking of 52" to 55" set.

Also, I agree with the other posts, a stand would be better. On the wall, the viewing angle could be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom