Has Trombone Al been Banned From the Forum?

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Trombone Al Has Not Been Banned From the Forum- He's Just Been Glitched

I just heard through the underground forum democracy movement that Al has been banned because of his democracy poll. If this is true and he isn't reinstated immediately, than I'm definitely done with this forum.

Last edited:
No he hasn't been banned. We are trying to figure out the problem now.

As mentioned in the other thread on this, I'm getting occasional 'server busys' as well, and many 'anonymizers' dont allow people to post to forum boards because of past problems with people using the anonymity to flame people.

OK. That's good news. Just a glitch.

Recipients: brewer12345, DanTien, Martha, Sam, T-Al
Al,

If Martha hasn't already sent you a PM, you haven't been banned. Apparently there is some sort of glitch and Janet H is looking into it as we speak.

REW

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Al
Hi Guys,

This is Al. I've been banned from the forum, apparently because of the polls I posted concerning running the forum as a democracy. Could you let others know, and perhaps apply some pressure to get me back?

I feel that one shouldn't be banned for expressing opinions about how the forum is run.

Thanks,

Al

Last edited:
Come back Al! If anybody's banning you, I'm outtahere (so to speak). Just don't read the Funny Joke Thursday thread till your hernia scar has healed!

To my knowledge, NO ONE has banned T-Al. There is apparently some kind of technical glitch.

Anyhow, I wouldn't ban him until I knew how his hernia turned out.

;)

Attachments

• StuffedBeaver2.jpeg
    StuffedBeaver2.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 231
Ah, the stuffed beaver makes a rare appearance.

I rather enjoyed the one where he cajoled the guy in the log cabin to "buy more tech stocks!!!"

Ward, what are we going to do about the Beaver?

I just heard through the underground forum democracy movement that Al has been banned because of his democracy poll. If this is true and he isn't reinstated immediately, than I'm definitely done with this forum.

Dan your description is close! It is Democrazy! :rant:

An interesting side note: Digg just experienced the equivalent of an Internet RIOT (repeated and large amounts of flames and resistance) over an issue. But the issue at Digg was more of a copyright infringement issue (a little different).

Hopefully the fabric of law and order does not breakdown. It would be a shame if we all joined up into Forum Gangs and squared off.

Speaking of that: Where is Al? Did someone put the equivalent of a Forum Gang Hit Contract out on him? Maybe he is in hiding.. or did they already get to him?

Yeah Yeah Yeah... I know! But a little levity never hurts. :D

"RK Quote" - Can't we all just get along? :(

Where is Rodney King when we need him....Could he be ready for ER?

from chinaco - Hopefully the fabric of law and order does not breakdown. It would be a shame if we all joined up into Forum Gangs and squared off...

Yes, we might have to break out our Swiss Army multi-tools....
jets2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm here.

I totally could not get onto the forum yesterday. I tried repeatedly -- probably more 30 times over the course of the day while doing other things. Usually just got a blank screen with "Waiting for early-retirement..." in the status line or the Server Busy error message after a delay of over a minute. Once I got through momentarily. I did use refresh and tried a number of other tricks.

I used an anonymizer and got on instantly.

I used another computer and got on instantly. I should have tried posting from that other computer, but I had just had my post blocked on the anonymizer, and it hadn't entered my head that the anonymizer might have been the reason for the posting block.

I didn't have any problems with any other sites.

Those are my observations.

This post was made through an anonymizer at proxydom.com, which is what I used yesterday.

Al - where was the other computer you used that worked?

I'm going to hazard a guess, but I think its the cause. Andy says he's been moving the site to different servers and shuffling the location of the servers. That probably resulted in changes to the servers IP address.

Its not uncommon for DNS updates to take a while or get screwed up, and some ISP's name servers dont update that often, or their update service breaks.

Some clients can be configured to locally cache and update DNS information, and some routers (like mine) will locally cache DNS information for a period of time.

All of this might explain your symptoms...one machine had the wrong DNS, but the anonymizer and the "other" computer had the right DNS.

The other sites worked because their DNS hadnt changed in some time.

To try to resolve this the next time, right click on the connection name and click 'repair'. If that doesnt work, open a command prompt and enter "ipconfig /flushdns" followed by "ipconfig /registerdns".

Turn off your cable/dsl modem and router, wait a minute and plug them back in.

It's possible. I'm surprised, though, that no one else has reported the severity of the problem that I experienced.

Here's a picture of the post I made through the proxy:
ProxyPosting.jpg

Hmm...regarding the proxy working today and not yesterday...is it possible that one of the prior user bans excluded one of the IP addresses of that anonymizer? Are you sure you used the same anonymizer both times?

The vbulletin logs should show what IP address you attempted to connect through yesterday when the post failed, and the address you just used to successfully post.

No, I'm not clear on all the steps I took. It was very tricky because automatic redirects would remove you from the proxy server. Who knows. It's too bad I didn't try posting from the other computer.

I'm going to pretty much forget about it.

It's possible. I'm surprised, though, that no one else has reported the severity of the problem that I experienced.

It must have been the anesthetic. ;)

Welcome back!

ok, apparently no one else is gonna say it, so i guess i have to: trombone al band.

Back
Top Bottom