Have You Fallen Near Or Far From The Family Tree?

I lived in just 2 homes from the time I started school until I was out on my own, but since then, moved so many times that the rest of the family joked that we needed a separate address book just to keep up.

I lived in ~30 different places in the 38 years since moving away from home (at 18), counting living on the boat as just one place. (Although we moved pretty much all the time while on the boat, we didn'thave to pack or unpack anything, so it doesn't count.) About 10 of those places were while working for Uncle Sam.

Pop once said that there were two kinds of people in the world...
(stop me if you have heard this one! :D ):
those who stay home and those who don't.

We didn't/don't.

In each generation of a family, most folks like where they are/grew up/went to school and stay there. But there are always a few who move on, in our cases for work or for a better life or religious freedom. Of course, some of their children stay put, but one or two in each generation pick up and go. My wife and I come from the latter background. Her family on one side were actually pioneers. Our siblings stayed put, but we didn't. I count over 20 major moves in my life.

I don't agree with CFB's comment about moving being a recent thing. Discretionary moving or holidays in Hawaii, maybe. Don't forget that the New World has been populated by immigration for about 500 years (more, if we remember that the aboriginal peoples were immigrants themselves).

Daneboy's handle suggested a few comments:

The Danes have a saying, "People have feet, not roots", to explain travel.

And then there is this: When I worked for Danes, I found that they would fearlessly relocate around the world for their work, sometimes for many years, but the same people would agonize about moving their permanent homestead across town when back home in Denmark.

And a friend observed that Denmark's greatest export was people.

Ed

"...listen: there's a hell
of a good universe next door; let's go "
e e cummings

Since being married 36 years ago both DW and myself live in the same small town in which we were born and raised.

Gonzo

I'm living in the same house that my Grandmother's uncle built back in 1916. So that shows you how far I've fallen. She lives across the street, in the same house that she and my Granddad bought in 1950. And her cousin lives next door to me, in her mother's old house, which she inherited in 1971.

I figure I'll stick around at least until I retire. My job is only about 3 1/2 miles away. I'd almost be tempted to stay even after I retire, but this area (Maryland, DC suburbs) is just getting too crowded and too expensive.

My parents grew up on Long Island and Queens, where their parents lived for their whole lives. My parents retired and moved to NH, and my grandparents have all passed away. My parents' siblings are all in New England as well, so we have no ties to Long Island or Queens anymore.

My sister lives in MA, so I am the apple farthest from my parents' "replanted" tree, as I am in Washington, DC.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
When I worked for Danes, I found that they would fearlessly relocate around the world for their work, sometimes for many years, but the same people would agonize about moving their permanent homestead across town when back home in Denmark.

I can see that. I have a townhouse on the East Coast that I consider "home", but every so many months my work takes me to some place in other parts of the country, where I may stay for many weeks or months depending on the client's requirements. I have worked out of 13 states so far and it looks like #14 is looming on the horizon.

For a single person, I find it to be a pretty good balance between the stability and financial advantages of owning your own place and the variety that comes with travel. Unfortunately, it also tends to help you stay single  :-\

I've been a bit of a nomad. Born in CA. My Dad was Army, and we lived in MD for several years, then 3 years in Munich Germany, MD again for 3 years, back to CA, Dreux France (college in Munich) for 2 years, then finished college in CA.

After going to work for a couple of multinationals, I had 8 years in CA, then 2 years in PR, 5 years in CA, 3 years in Dublin, Ireland, then a long spell - 17 years in CA. After that 1 year in Thailand, 1 year in the Phillipines, and now 5 years back in CA, about 2 hours from my birthplace.

Even after all of that, DW and I travel out of the country for a month or so most years. This year was Italy. Started in Venice, then to Florence, Siena, Perugia and finished up in Rome. Great time!

Back
Top Bottom