Have you read the Bible?

I do not think many people realize that you can go visit the resting place of the Ark, and see the actual boat near MT. Ararat, and that Turkey has a tourist center there even.

You can also see where Israel crossed the red Sea, scuba dive where almost 2 miles of coralized chariots lay on the sea bed, and then as you go further into Arabia (Mt. Sinai is not on the Sinai peninsula, it is in Arabia like the Bible says) you can see the Rock of Horeb which Moses struck and brought forth water, you can see the massive erosion this caused on the rocks, the 40 foot stone split in 1/2. You can also see Mt. Sinai which has Elijah's cave, and has melted granite on top, with the entire thing burned black. At the bottom the Altar where they built the golden calf still exist, and the markers in the area are just like the Bible says.

My wife toured Israel in the 70's . Hell if I would go now. She said it was one amazing experience.

They have just what you mentioned online at Christianbooks. Genuine leather, gold-gilt edges, thumb indexed, etc., for $36.99.

I've done a lot of business with them over the last 25 years or so, and have always been quite satisfied. I've also been to their store on 43rd St. in NYC...WOW!!! The place is HUGE...and packed wall-to-wall! Amazing!

Thanks!!! I go take a look. Sounds like just exactly what I want. :D I am a confirmed LBYM'er, but when it comes to something like the Bible I want a really nice one. :)

Is there a Cliffs Notes for the bible?

My wife toured Israel in the 70's . Hell if I would go now. She said it was one amazing experience.

My parents took me there in 1954, when I was 6. I remember looking at Bethlehem through binoculars, because it was involved in the continual wars there and was occupied at the time so we couldn't go there.

That was 53 years ago. An old Bob Dylan song comes to mind:

How many roads must a man walk down before you call him a man?
And how many seas must a white dove sail before she sleeps in the sand?
And how many times must the cannon balls fly before they are forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. The answer is blowing in the wind.

How many times must a man look up before he can see the sky?
And how many ears must one man have before he can hear people cry?
And how many deaths will it take till he knows that too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. The answer is blowing in the wind.

How many years can a mountain exist before it is washed to the sea?
And how many years can some people exist before they're allowed to be free?
and how many times can a man turn his head pretending he just doesn't see?

Not to say that either side is "right", but just that the whole situation there is tragic and heartbreaking.

[FONT=Courier, Courier New]
dotclear.gif
[/FONT]

Is there a Cliffs Notes for the bible?

Probably!! I remember in Sunday school, we got synopses of stories from the Bible like the story of Joseph's coat of many colors. They were "dumbed down" for young kids.

I do not think many people realize that you can go visit the resting place of the Ark, and see the actual boat near MT. Ararat, and that Turkey has a tourist center there even.

You can also see where Israel crossed the red Sea, scuba dive where almost 2 miles of coralized chariots lay on the sea bed, and then as you go further into Arabia (Mt. Sinai is not on the Sinai peninsula, it is in Arabia like the Bible says) you can see the Rock of Horeb which Moses struck and brought forth water, you can see the massive erosion this caused on the rocks, the 40 foot stone split in 1/2. You can also see Mt. Sinai which has Elijah's cave, and has melted granite on top, with the entire thing burned black. At the bottom the Altar where they built the golden calf still exist, and the markers in the area are just like the Bible says.

Noah's Ark Search - Mount Ararat

They have just what you mentioned online at Christianbooks. Genuine leather, gold-gilt edges, thumb indexed, etc., for $36.99.

I've done a lot of business with them over the last 25 years or so, and have always been quite satisfied. I've also been to their store on 43rd St. in NYC...WOW!!! The place is HUGE...and packed wall-to-wall! Amazing!

Decided that the giant print was too big, and picked one with slightly smaller print. My near-compulsive LBYM'ing kicked in when I saw that "bonded leather" cover instead of genuine leather would bring the price down to $17.99. Suddenly, I wondered if I would even know the difference, so I ordered the cheaper bonded leather version: KJV Cornerstone Ultra Thin Reference Bible, Bonded leather, Black, Thumb-indexed - - Christianbook.com

Thanks again, Goonie! That place has a MILLION Bibles.

I do not think many people realize that sometimes the locals play tricks on tourists:

Jackalope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, no offense intended, but I really do not think that there is any evidence to your claims.

Check here for some of the hoaxes surrounding the ark -

Searches for Noah's Ark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In 1993 CBS aired a highly sensationalized special entitled "The Incredible Discovery of Noah's Ark,", which contained a long section devoted to the claims of George Jammal, who showed what he called "sacred wood from the ark". .... later revealed that his "sacred wood" was wood taken from railroad tracks in Long Beach, California, and hardened by cooking with various sauces in an oven.
Why all these fakes, if the 'actual boat' can be seen? Does not add up, Bigritchie.

Also,...
the Ark was approximately 450 feet (137 m)long. This is considerably longer than the schooner Wyoming, launched in 1909 and the longest documented wooden-hulled vessel ever built: it measured only 329.5 feet (100 m) and needed iron cross-bracing to counter warping and a steam pump to handle a serious leak problem.

... in 1924, it foundered in heavy seas and sank with the loss of all hands.
So, we are to believe that Noah built a seaworthy ship larger than anything that could be built in modern times? Color me skeptical.

-ERD50

My near-compulsive LBYM'ing kicked in when I saw that "bonded leather" cover instead of genuine leather would bring the price down to $17.99. Suddenly, I wondered if I would even know the difference, so I ordered the cheaper bonded leather version: KJV Cornerstone Ultra Thin Reference Bible, Bonded leather, Black, Thumb-indexed - - Christianbook.com...

Actually, many times the 'bonded' leather is nicer because it has less flaws in it than the 'genuine' leather does. Simply because the with the 'genuine' leather, they just take a slab of leather and use it 'as is'. With the 'bonded' leather, they can remove and work around the flaws. Also, I've noticed that the 'bonded' leather usually tends to be softer and more supple than the 'genuine'.

Happy reading!

I do not think many people realize that sometimes the locals play tricks on tourists:

Jackalope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, no offense intended, but I really do not think that there is any evidence to your claims.

Check here for some of the hoaxes surrounding the ark -

Searches for Noah's Ark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Why all these fakes, if the 'actual boat' can be seen? Does not add up, Bigritchie.

Also,...
So, we are to believe that Noah built a seaworthy ship larger than anything that could be built in modern times? Color me skeptical.

-ERD50

Been there myself and saw it with my own eyes. Just because some guy hoaxes finding the Ark doesn't mean it isn't real. And if it is real, I don't think I would need to explain why there would be a cover up.

Noah-ark.jpg

Been there myself and saw it with my own eyes.

Well, you saw something that you choose to believe is the remains of Noah's ark.

That's fine - believe what you wish, but the religious scholars do not agree. So, unless you can provide some sound scholarly support for that picture being the Ark itself, I think you should preface your comments with 'I believe'...

-ERD50

Well, you saw something that you choose to believe is the remains of Noah's ark.

That's fine - believe what you wish, but the religious scholars do not agree. So, unless you can provide some sound scholarly support for that picture being the Ark itself, I think you should preface your comments with 'I believe'...

-ERD50

You know, I started to post all the proof, all the studies, all the military records, that show without a doubt this a the remains of a boat the exact dimensions of the ark, but this is something that some people will believe and some will not no matter how much evidence there is. I would recommend people search for the truth with a open mind.

You know, I started to post all the proof, all the studies, all the military records, that show without a doubt this a the remains of a boat the exact dimensions of the ark, but this is something that some people will believe and some will not no matter how much evidence there is. I would recommend people search for the truth with a open mind.

No need to go through all that trouble. I'm not enough of an expert to be able to examine that info and determine the validity of it anyhow.

Just post some links to serious, credible religious history scholars who believe that what you saw is the actual remains of the ark. I'm not even asking for a consensus - just some reasonable number of credible sources who take that item seriously.

edit/add - by 'credible' I don't mean 'anyone with a blog/site' - I mean real university scholars.
-ERD50

-ERD50

Your multitude of responses in some of these "religious" threads seems to be putting a lot of effort into "not believing" something. You previously indicated all signs pointed to your being an atheist. But your efforts, in my opinion, bely that. They seem, again in my opinion, to point to being an agnostic, still wondering "could it be true"?

Your multitude of responses in some of these "religious" threads seems to be putting a lot of effort into "not believing" something. You previously indicated all signs pointed to your being an atheist. But your efforts, in my opinion, bely that. They seem, again in my opinion, to point to being an agnostic, still wondering "could it be true"?

Nah, I think you are reading too much into it.

First, by definition an agnostic is still wondering - open to all explanations. Only an atheist dis-believes in a supreme being.

Oh, here's my earlier comment to you on the subject:

Originally Posted by RetireeRobert
So, now I wonder, which do you call yourself----agnostic--atheist--or religious?
Well, I have had people ask me if I live a 'spiritual life'. I say that I try, but my definition of 'spiritual' is probably different than yours.

Since I think any of those three labels can 'work' for people, I don't really care much which is used. In that regard, I guess I'm pretty agonistic about the subject
wink.gif

If you really had to pin me down, I'd be most comfortable with agnostic. But my Magic-8 ball says 'all signs point to atheist'.

-ERD50
Second, if you were to look at other posts, I may chime in anytime someone says ' xxxx makes yyyy true ' if I don't think that xxxx supports a yyyy conclusion. It might be financial, environmental, political, technical, health related - anything that strikes my fancy.

-ERD50

That must have been a great trip !

If the "I think he protests too much" addage really did hold true, then a lot of Fundy Christians would actually be athiests (or worse) and a lot of Right to Life supporters abortion providers, etc.

This isn't the first time I've been asked this question, generally by people who believe that you have to read the Bible in order to be a well-rounded person. I'd tend to suggest that, if you truly wish to be well-rounded, you'd be well-advised to start with the Hindu Rig Veda or Buddhist Dhammapada, both of which are religious texts with a longer history and following than the Bible.

Can't say I've read those texts. I hope to read them someday, perhaps when I retire. Meantime they sit on the bookshelf next to the New American Standard Bible I was given by a girlfriend when I was in the 9th grade. We were both part of our church youth group back then, and I read my Bible almost cover-to-cover by the time I turned 18.

Nah, I think you are reading too much into it.

First, by definition an agnostic is still wondering - open to all explanations. Only an atheist dis-believes in a supreme being.

OK, you are an agnostic. That certainly fits with your present posts in this thread. Makes sense. (But that earlier post of yours has you, as an agnostic, if you had to guess, "leaning" toward being an atheist.?)

Am I reading things correctly now? :)

Answering the original question - Never read the bible cover to cover. I read my fill of it in catechism class.
My sis-in-law went to divinity school and read it in its original text, Aramaic and Ancient Greek and such. When asked about parts that contradict other parts, she says "The bible says lots of things".
If I were to read more, I'd like to read the books they chose NOT to include. I think that might be as informative as what "made the cut."
But there's so many things I want to read more that I'll probably never get to it.

Back
Top Bottom