Have you read the Bible?

Actually, many times the 'bonded' leather is nicer because it has less flaws in it than the 'genuine' leather does. Simply because the with the 'genuine' leather, they just take a slab of leather and use it 'as is'. With the 'bonded' leather, they can remove and work around the flaws. Also, I've noticed that the 'bonded' leather usually tends to be softer and more supple than the 'genuine'.

Happy reading!

Oh good!!! I am glad to read this. I had no idea what "bonded leather" really was (was afraid it might be cardboard :2funny:), but it sounds nice enough to suit me. Softer and more supple would be terrific. :D

I am really looking forward to reading and re-acquainting myself with the Bible.

As far as the "is it the ark or isn't it" discussion, this agnostic thinks that the significance of the Bible is deeply spiritual, and whether or not there actually was a big boat somewhere or not just isn't relevant.

I know there are some people out there who believe in the Bible literally, but personally I think that emphasis on the literal implies de-emphasis of the spiritual. So, perhaps the literalists "miss the boat", if not the ark. :p

Last edited:
Yes ...

... twice. But also, the World Book Encyclopedia twice, cover to cover, when I was in my late teens. Also Durant's history of civilization, once, all volumes.

Frankly, I liked the encyclopedia better than the bible.:bat:

Yes. I need to do a better job of reading it daily now.

As far as the "is it the ark or isn't it" discussion, this agnostic thinks that the significance of the Bible is deeply spiritual, and whether or not there actually was a big boat somewhere or not just isn't relevant.

I know there are some people out there who believe in the Bible literally, but personally I think that emphasis on the literal implies de-emphasis of the spiritual. So, perhaps the literalists "miss the boat", if not the ark. :p

I agree completely. One should be able to take away something by just reflecting on the messages, no need to take any of it literally. Or to even believe in God or Jesus or anything. Unless one wants to.

I've heard most of it in school, and again when I occasionally attend services with someone else. Personally, I don't get much out of it. For me, it pretty much boils down to 'Do unto others', and then use your brain to apply it to any situation you might find yourself in. A one page Bible would be my style.

I did read some of it a few years back - some of it is interesting from a historic POV (for me), but that was about it. Not interesting enough for me to invest the time. But that's just me.

-ERD50

As to the question on the Bible, no, I have not read it cover to cover in its entirety.

Over several years in our church, each fall, for 9 or 10 weeks, they choose one book of the Bible to study. That one book is the subject of all the sermons, and each of the Sunday School classes study it too.

This way and on my own I have read a "majority" of the Bible, but nowhere near all of it.

I was raised in a Quaker meeting and the Sunday school teacher was a debate coach at the local college. We read and discussed the Bible, Koran, Lao Tsu, Socrates and Alfred e. Newman with the same critical intent.

One of my favorite habits now is looking for bizarre comments penciled into the margins of bibles in hotel rooms or noting which pages or sections have been ripped out.

Most strangely, I once found a bible at a sleep cheap that looked like it came from the local swap meet - very well used. It had loads of drawings in the margins of one section. Leviticus illustrated is really very interesting :)

One of my favorite habits now is looking for bizarre comments penciled into the margins of bibles in hotel rooms or noting which pages or sections have been ripped out.

Wow, I thought I was the only one...:)

My grandfather was a Church of the Nazarene (Wesley) preacher/pastor. I was raised Methodist but never bought into the family business. I found myself reading and researching things as a 20-something rebel and studied the OT through twice (NASV and NIV) and read through the NT through more times than I can count (KJV, RSV, NASV, NIV).

I am now an agnostic who could care less, but I still view religious affiliation with care and consideration... I suppose I have become something resembling a modern Unitarian and/or Universalist.

I was raised in a Quaker meeting and the Sunday school teacher was a debate coach at the local college. We read and discussed the Bible, Koran, Lao Tsu, Socrates and Alfred e. Newman with the same critical intent.

Most strangely, I once found a bible at a sleep cheap that looked like it came from the local swap meet - very well used. It had loads of drawings in the margins of one section. Leviticus illustrated is really very interesting :)

I never paid much attention to the hotel room Bibles. Now I'm going to need to check this out. I guess Leviticus could get 'colorful' (had to check wiki on the content).

BTW, we attended a Quaker wedding a few years ago - it was basically an hour of meditation, with reflections/comments thrown in from time to time. Interesting. I like the fact that your teachers approached things critically, I think there is a lot of value in that. The leader (I forget the proper term) explained that their church council (board? whatever they are called), had to reach unanimous agreement on any issue before them - while that would seem to really slow things down, it makes me wonder how it changes the whole dynamic of negotiations?

Not enough interest to find the time to read it, but time to make *7* posts responding to the thread about reading the Bible?

Or even eight posts, but who's counting ( I guess you are ;) )?

I think I said this before, but I find the *topic* interesting - I just like hearing how people deal with the issue. I have an old friend that has some pretty strong religious ties, and recently we have been (very respectfully) discussing the whole agnostic/faith issue. Talking it out in a forum like this helps me to focus my thoughts, and it might help me from making a slip that might offend him. So I post away.

Now, maybe I'm going way off the deep end of amateur psycho-analysis, but I find your comments on *my* posts interesting. You seem to imply that my posting is a sign of doubt of my own position? I can't help but see your questioning of my position as some kind of need to affirm your own beliefs. Like 'Ah! I take this as a sign that ERD50 must not be comfortable with his position - so that helps prove that RR must be right!'.

It's hard to put into words, but I am 'comfortable' with saying that I do not understand things. It seems that other people must have something to latch onto, in order to be comfortable. Nothing right or wrong with that IMO, whatever works for someone is fine by me. If it helps you to lead a better life, that is great.

Also, you may have misunderstood my reply to Bigritchie about seeing Noah's ark. Regardless of whether I think Noah and/or the ark ever existed or not, what I was questioning is why he believed that that specific thing was the remains of Noah's ark. I am unaware of any scholars who agree with that premise. But that may be ignorance on my part. But it did strike me as a 'tourist trap' kind of thing, maybe based on the idea that people want to believe what they want to believe? I'd be interested to see sources of respected theologic historians who think that artifact is the real deal.

-ERD50

You seem to imply that my posting is a sign of doubt of my own position?

Not implying anything, just trying to understand what your position is.

You stated you did not find enough interest in reading the Bible to give it your time. But you now state you find the topic of "people having read or not read the Bible" interesting and are giving that your time. OK, I guess those can be considered two separate and distinct topics, and the latter has your interest. So be it. Or, in another word, Amen. :cool:

Socrates didn't write anything - I suspect you were reading Plato. ;)

Back
Top Bottom