Help me pick our next car....

Your husband wants a land yacht yet you are looking at smaller SUVs and good mileage? Which are you more willing to trade off?

Subaru Forester has a lot of headroom. Not as sure about the back because I think those seats are raised a bit. Leg room seems good though I'm not sure about being behind a tall driver or passenger. It has manual transmission available though I'm pretty sure the CVT gets better mileage.

I'm 6-4 and both our kids were tall at an early age. DS was 6-1 in the 7th grade and DD wasn't far behind. She's 5-11 now. The only vehicles that worked for us back then were minivans and a Suburban. We still have the Suburban. It's a 2001. Amazing vehicle. Ultra-dependable and ultra-versatile. I can lay down all the seats and haul 10 full sheets of plywood. Or with all seats up, we can comfortably fit 8 adults, plus plenty of room in the back for luggage or whatever, even with 8 people. The middle seat easily fits large and tall people, whereas the 3rd seat is OK, but better suited for shorter/skinnier types. Mileage is around 15 MPG, maybe a bit better on the highway.

You might want to consider an Acura RDX. Pretty roomy, good gas mileage, handles very well, and has a paddle shift auto that would give you some of the fun of a manual.

The small SUVs (e.g., CRV) will feel cramped with the four of you, even if there is ample headroom. Look at mid sized SUVs.

My Ford Explorer, which is not a small SUV, nor medium SUV is small even for my family. The tallest person is my husband and he is only 6'.

Since you've already focussed on a choice of vehicles, why not rent each one for week or so. Go on a day trip or two and see if the vehicle meets yours and DH's expectations. Considering the cost of a new SUV (or any new vehicle) buyer remorse could be quite expensive.

BTW, I enjoy a manual transmission, and that's why I keep my 2001 Prelude running. ;)

_B

FWIW - I have a 12 year old Toyota Highlander Hybrid and there are small things starting to happen that make me think it's time to start figuring out the next car.

As for stick - this is the first car (the HiHy) that isn't manual transmission... I like driving stick. It's a CVT.

Yes - I'm shopping for a unicorn. But older son will be off to college in 2 years.

Manual transmission is still the norm in europe...

The reasons you give for needing a stick shift, if I understand correctly are:

(1) You want your boys to learn to drive with a manual transmission, and

(2) You enjoy driving with a manual transmission.

Addressing (1) above:

My high school did not offer driver's ed. So, my father hired a driving instructor from a private driving school. He specified a stick shift. I had never seen one, but learned how to drive a stick shift that way.

I didn't need or use that skill for 20 years, but it's like riding a bicycle - - you never forget.

So, my suggestion would be to remove that requirement from your list of necessities for the new SUV, and spend a few bucks on a driving instructor to teach your sons how to drive with a manual transmission.

Addressing (2) above:

Basically, that's a problem. Naturally you can't always get what you want, especially when it is becoming outdated and rare in the location in which you live, and especially when you are compromising with other requirements in a vehicle due to spouse and family. So I'd suggest focusing on other aspects of driving that appeal to you.

If it was me? I'd get another Highlander and call it a day.

I bought a 2017 CR-V, and returned it two days later. They're having problems with cruise control stability, the headrests are a new design that forces your head way too far forward, and the electric motor on the driver seat height adjusted is underpowered to the point that it sounds like it's dying (tried this on multiple models at the dealership, all had the same issue). The leather seats were hard and uncomfortable after an hour drive. But this new model has so much legroom front and rear, even for taller people.

The 2017 RAV4 is tiny compared to the CR-V.

The 2017 Explorer has a lot of legroom, front and rear, and some trims have electrically adjustable telescoping steering wheels and height adjustable foot pedals. The six speed transmission means it doesn't get good MPG compared to most, even with the newer EcoBoost engines. And they are overpriced. I'm waiting to see if the next generation will have some form of the new 10 speed transmission that's in some of their trucks. They're supposedly moving to aluminum bodies to make them lighter and have better MPG too.

I'm still in the market for a new SUV too, and I'm finding this year isn't the best for most manufacturers. It looks like 2019/2020 is going to see better improvements on a lot of next generation models.

It should be noted that we're doing a big drive trip this summer... and since the current Highlander is having a lot of small things crop up - we decided to splurge on a rental mini-van.... that will let us know if that's a good fit... It seems crazy to buy a minivan when the kids will be off to college in 2 and 4 years from now... (To give you an idea of why this is crazy... DH's truck is 22 years old - my highlander is 12 years old... we keep cars a LONG time.)

We were looking for a mid-sized SUV and it ultimately got down to the Honda CR-V and the Subaru Outback.... our local Subaru dealer was more willing to deal than the Honda dealer so we went with the Outback. No regrets at all... it has been a great car for us. We get over 29 mpg in combined driving. Great value for the money. But no manual transmission... only the CVT.... which is why the mileage is so good given the size of the car.

I've had Outbacks for many years now, so I'm biased too, but I do think it will check all of OPs boxes. If a stick shift is a must, then go with the Forester. In fact, the 2017 Forester is bigger and roomier than the 2009 Outback I just sold. I didn't realize how much both cars have "grown" over the years, or I would have saved a few thousand and gone with the Forester myself. Compared with my 1999 Outback, both are massive.

It seems crazy to buy a minivan when the kids will be off to college in 2 and 4 years from now...

My plan was to have a minivan until the younger boy graduates college, so if need be I can provide cargo hauling services. Of course, a U-Haul trailer could do the same thing. Four more years to go at which time the van will be 10 years old.

But maybe not, I sit up high, it is just a great, versatile vehicle. I don't know what a car is like anymore as have had at least one minivan or pick-ups for past 22 years. A year ago we purchased our first SUV, a Sante Fe. Last sedan was traded in 2001.

Here are the criteria:

DH wants something up off the ground - so SUV or crossover. He'd prefer to get a land yacht like a giant SUV...

I want something with decent mileage - preferably at least 25mpg.

My husband is tall - 6'4" so some cars are just too small.
My kids are tall - so back seat leg room is important. Older son is currently 6'3" and still growing. Younger son is 6' at age 14... so lots of growth ahead of him, too.

Now the toughest part. I want a stick shift. Those seem to be unavailable in most of the cars that I've been looking at...

So far I'm looking at Honda CRV, Ford Escape, and whatever the Mazda small SUV is.

Any insights?

Do I just need to give up the idea of stick shift? - even though I really prefer it AND want to teach my kids to drive stick.
i rode in a ford escape ONCE. sitting in the back seat was cruel and unusual punishment. i almost need the fire department to cut me out . Do u drive a lot? Gas mileage means nothing to me, i drove 567 miles last year. I remember when i was car shopping i was getting brow beat by MPG, like it really mattered. We never averaged more than 7000 miles a year. Get whats comfortable for the big men in your life. Im a terrible driver, so a big suv scares me because i know i would be crashing into things. About the stick shift thing, get a rent a car for a week and teach them.

i rode in a ford escape ONCE. sitting in the back seat was cruel and unusual punishment. i almost need the fire department to cut me out . Do u drive a lot? Gas mileage means nothing to me, i drove 567 miles last year. I remember when i was car shopping i was getting brow beat by MPG, like it really mattered. We never averaged more than 7000 miles a year. Get whats comfortable for the big men in your life. Im a terrible driver, so a big suv scares me because i know i would be crashing into things. About the stick shift thing, get a rent a car for a week and teach them.

You just need to rent a car when you're going somewhere. Hope pharmacies and groceries are close by.

We're high mileage, travel fast and far people. Makes life so interesting.

Update to this thread. We ended up with the Subaru Forester 2.5i. It met all the criteria. 2017 models were discounted and qualified for 0% financing. And I got my stick shift. The boys fit better in this car than they did in the Highlander.

Update to this thread. We ended up with the Subaru Forester 2.5i. It met all the criteria. 2017 models were discounted and qualified for 0% financing. And I got my stick shift. The boys fit better in this car than they did in the Highlander.

Congratulations! From what I hear, the Subaru Forester is a fine choice.

Sister is on her second and BIL just got his first Forester. They've been real pleased and get great fuel economy. Good on you getting a stick.

YAY Rodi, enjoy your new ride!

Great choice! I've got 3 years and 35K on my Forester with no problems at all.

This is one of the subjects where everyone has a different answer. The truth is that there are no bad SUVs on the retail market.

You just need to go out and kick tires. Just remember that the best deals will be made at locally owned dealerships. I avoid big national chain dealerships that chew up employees and those that hit you up with $699 documentation fees (pure profit). Dealers that have large pickup truck sales to cover their overhead can afford to give better deals than second tier car dealers.

My family members used to own a couple of Honda dealers, and they go after customer pocketbooks on the sale, on secondary window stickers and with huge doc fees. Some Nissan and Toyota dealers operate in the same manner.

Back
Top Bottom