Join Early Retirement Today

Here Comes The Sun
Old 02-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here Comes The Sun

For all those impacted by this storm. Just now took this picture off my back deck.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Here comes the sun.JPG (462.7 KB, 6 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #2

My parents are in Vienna, VA. They measured their snow at 21 inches last night but could not get out today to see what it was. The good news was the power was back on. The better news was the Georgetown was able to get to beat Villanova. The best news is that it is 65 where I am.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
The best news is that it is 65 where I am.
Hmm... Funny, it's the same here.
What happens to the rain that they were predicting?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Some neighbors venturing out....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010239.JPG (460.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Purron, that photo is lovely (especially considering spring is only what, 43 days away?). So peaceful and pristine.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Hang in there Purron...before you know it we'll be singin'....

Old 02-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hang in there Purron...before you know it we'll be singin'....
Yeah baby. I love Sly
Old 02-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hmm... Funny, it's the same here.
What happens to the rain that they were predicting?
From the map, it looks like it is pouring on my boss in Wickenburg.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

DD called me today to express appreciation for all those years I shoveled snow for the family. She's in Leesburg VA. She shoveled 3 times yesterday to try to stay ahead, and still had ~2 feet in the driveway this morning.

I, OTOH, drove out of the Eastern SHore (MD) yesterday morning before it all started. I'm currently in a hotel in Savannah on my way to Bonita Springs. We had about 15 minutes of snow on the trip, the rest was rain.

My mom, however, is in rough shape. Out south of Front Royal VA in the boonie on the Shenandoah River, she hasn't had electricity since last night. She's got a wood fireplace, but won't burn it when she's asleep. When I talked to her this evening she was in bed under a bunch of blankets with her dog. I'm worried, but I don't know what to do. I told her if she needs to to call the sheriff. They should be able to get to her, maybe take her to a hotel or something. It's a scary situation. Maybe she'll finally move closer to civilization now.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, we got just a tad less than 1/4" of snow last evening. Then the sun came out today and melted it all away! However, they're saying now that we might get anywhere from 3" to 6" of snow Monday into Tuesday. And that's OK.....because it will all be plowed and salted, and the roads will be clear by the time we leave Friday morning on our road trip to Florida!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #11

I mentioned the snow in an E-mail to a niece who lives in Las Vegas, NV. She sent me the following to remind me of the flip side of the coin:

June 12th:
Dear Diary
Just moved to Las Vegas!
Now this is a state that knows how to live. Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. It is beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

June 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.

June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing the lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th:
The temperature hasn't been below 105 all week. How
do people get used to this kind of heat? At least, it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th:
Fell asleep by the pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body). Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
I missed Fluffy (my cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car at noon, Fluffy had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag, then popped like a water balloon. The car now smells like Kibbles and Shits. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat. Good ol' Mr. Sun strikes again.

July 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And, it's hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside on the patio for 3 nights now, $225,000 house and I can't even go inside. Fluffy is the lucky one. Why did I ever come here?

Aug. 4th:
It's 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $1200 and gets the temperature down to 85. I hate this stupid state.

Aug. 8th:
If another wise ass cracks, 'Hot enough for you today?' I'm going to strangle him. Damn heat. By the time I get to work, the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

Aug. 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and when I sat on the seats in the car, I thought my ass was on fire. My skin melted to the seat. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and ass. . . Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried ass, and baked cat.

Aug 10th:
The weather report might as well be a damn recording.
Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do anything for 2 damn months and the moron weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this damn state? Will water rationing will be next, so my $2700 worth of cactus will just dry up and blow away. Even the cactus can't live in this damn heat.

Aug. 14th:
Welcome to HELL!
Temperature got to 122 today. Cactus are dead.
Forgot to crack the window and blew the damn windshield out of the car. The installer came to fix it and guess what he asked me
"Hot enough for you today?" My sister had to spend $1,500 to bail me out of jail. Freaking Las Vegas.

What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here??

Will write later to let you know how the trial goes.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got about 18 inches of snow here yesterday in western PA. I won't complain as I had electricity (but no broadband connection). I did organize my pile of tax documents and cook a vat of soup. A state of emergency was declared, but it must have been lifted late in the day as my gardener showed up and plowed out my driveway, shoveled my walks in the front. I had shoveled a bit in the back so the dog would deign to go out.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #13

Depending on where it's measured, 30 to 36 inches. Nice view out the back yard, but the temperature was a tad chilly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backyard snow 2010-02-03 002.jpg (39.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Snow results 2010-02-07 001.jpg (154.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Purdy pictures Walt. We're under a winter storm watch for Tuesday - Wednesday. How 'bout your neck of the woods? Might get another 5-8" here on top of the 30 plus. Thank goodness I got this from bbbamI:

Old 02-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Well, we still can be....

Old 02-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well, we still can be....

Gracias, but this is more on my mind these days...

Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Clif and I are just going to lurk on this thread...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Clif and I are just going to lurk on this thread...
I just pulled up Oahu on weather.com. Today's forecast: sunny, high 81, zero chance of precip. Think of us while you're surfing or sipping a cold beverage out by the pool.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I just pulled up Oahu on weather.com. Today's forecast: sunny, high 81, zero chance of precip. Think of us while you're surfing or sipping a cold beverage out by the pool.
Well, OK, you talked me into it, just one post.

Here's some raw footage of a local McDonald's commercial using volunteers in a flash-frozen mob to advertise a frozen drink. Because the weather is getting hotter and traditional hot-coffee sales are dropping.

Rumor has it that the ad was underwritten by the Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau...
Flashmob: Frozen people in Downtown Honolulu | Metromix Honolulu

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Those surfboards might be good on this snow