Hey engineers...what do I have here?

VaCollector

Full time employment: Posting here.
Doing some spring cleaning and came across something that I know nothing about and am hoping that someone here can enlighten me. Two of the items appear to be small scales...and before anyone jumps to any conclusions :angel:, these are part of an auction lot that (if I remember correctly) contained lots of old watch maker's parts that I sold on eBay (10 years ago or more). Not sure why I put these away but I have found them again :LOL: and so here I am....what are they, what are they used for and do they have any value today? Thanks for your replies!

First, the two scales:

Then the weights that are stored within scale #1:

Then there's a really nice wooden box with these:

And then there's the half circle thingy:

Thanks for any insight....

still trying to add pics directly:

img_1864198_0_d8a264968d32509561ffc05a46f8c642.jpg

img_1864198_1_ebeb7cda3ae26199d5a43baf73ada6b7.jpg

img_1864198_2_48e4314403322197a1fe681a9cc96d43.jpg

img_1864198_3_04e818a8158cb78bac7ddcdcb5285c7a.jpg

img_1864198_4_2d3802315917f98197b6c675a4079dcb.jpg

Last edited:
Oh great....looks like my pics aren't working...old age is FUN! :cool:

I see a box with traps and dies and a micrometer. And the scale.

First box is a scale with weights. Second is a set of taps and dies. They are used to put threads in holes and on rods respectively. Last is a micrometer used to measure the thickness of objects.

Taps, not traps. Spell check strikes again.

Did you wrap the links with the image tags? Select the link and hit the yellow postcard with the mountain on it.

That's a fine scale of some sort - pharmaceutical, jeweler, etc. Look for any markings or stamping.

The second item is a tap and die set for creating threads on metal.

The third item is a micrometer for measuring thickness accurately.

D'oh, ninja'd.

Third one is a precision C clamp. :LOL:

Thanks for the help with my pics....was pretty sure that's what I did the first time but then who knows :blush:

Does any of this stuff have value? ....and to respond to Hyper...the scale in the wood box has "NY CITY APPROVED TYPE 17 SERIALLY-2" printed on a metal label that is attached to the box. Would there be other numbers or identifying marks I should be looking for?

Third one is a precision C clamp. :LOL:

I'll be damned, I didn't think that it opened up, but sure 'nuff!

...and it has "The L. S. Starrett Co, Athol, Mass U.S.A." printed on it along with LOTS of numbers.

Last edited:
Scales are stolen from high school chem labs all the time. They are needed by the drug trade.

Thanks for the info everyone....eBay here we come!

Search Google for "NY CITY APPROVED TYPE 17" and you'll find they are Apothecary Scales.....there's a similar set for sale at $140 right now.

The other items are precision instruments that must certainly have value to an interested party.

Of course, all 3 items take together could be construed as Bomb Making Equipment, so don't transport them to the next Antiques Roadshow without a note from your Science Teacher !!

Thanks for the info everyone....eBay here we come!

Since we've pretty much answered the OP's question... time for some thread drift!

Have you had good luck selling on eBay lately? I haven't tried selling in a while, but whenever I go looking to buy a good, used something-or-other, all I see is new stuff or decrepit trash, and mostly from online stores, not auctions.

Makes me wonder if folks looking to auction off used, serviceable or collectible stuff have gone elsewhere. Wouldn't be the first time I missed the boat.

Since we've pretty much answered the OP's question... time for some thread drift!

Have you had good luck selling on eBay lately? I haven't tried selling in a while, but whenever I go looking to buy a good, used something-or-other, all I see is new stuff or decrepit trash, and mostly from online stores, not auctions.

Makes me wonder if folks looking to auction off used, serviceable or collectible stuff have gone elsewhere. Wouldn't be the first time I missed the boat.

Yep. I see the same thing. Too bad - I used to do well swapping boat parts (not for money - refitting). Few and far between now.

I have a ton of boat stuff now that we're downsizing - I just know it will just sit there on ebay...:mad::mad::mad:.

I've moved a lot of stuff on eBay over the last year as I de-cluttered to move. Some items are a lot easier to sell than others, but I've sold virtually everything I've listed at a price I'm happy with. Their and Paypal's cut hurts, but I don't see an alternative that will fetch the same net price - Craigslist just does not reach enough people to get the full value.

I used to sell on eBay but since the fees went up, the buyers started the return refund crap with PayPal and the Chinese invaded the place, I no longer use it.

Measure with a Micrometer, mark with a crayon, and cut with an ax!

Sorry - just going off the rails a bit and being an Athol

The micrometer specifically appears to be 0-1 inch size. It is also a vernier scale micrometer, meaning it can measure down to 0.0001 (one ten-thousandth) of an inch accuracy. Starret is a good quality brand, but it is not especially rare or valuable.

One thing to do with the tap and die set is to see what sizes it has and if (as I suspect)
it is an english scale set. Taps and dies are very common and new sets are available on amazon for between $30 and 40. A tap cuts threads a a nut and a die the bolt.
The micrometer looks like english measure as you can see the decimal fractions there
In fact the number set converts between number screw sizes and inches: a link to a partial list:https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Machine-Screws/Machine-Screw-Diameter.aspx

Micrometers range from $20 up depending on the size for non digital units on Amazon also. (they also come in digital forms now) the micrometer you have is an outside unit, that measures the outside size of something. There also exist inside units to measure the size of a hole in a piece of something Wikipedia on micrometers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micrometer.

I used to sell on eBay but since the fees went up, the buyers started the return refund crap with PayPal and the Chinese invaded the place, I no longer use it.
Where would you sell something like the OP has for sale?

I don't believe the 0-1 micrometers will bring much honestly. I wouldn't expect the tap/die set to be worth much other than possibly to a collector. As old as they are, they're most like very dull.

If anyone should have the old Brown & Sharpe slant line mics I would think they'd be fairly sought after. I haven't seen a set in many years. Mitutoyo has pretty much taken over the precision tool market. They're quality and affordable tools, but just don't have the same 'feel' as Brown & Sharpe or Etalon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom