Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-28-2007, 07:44 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
As a native of the Reed neighborhood (and at one time recruited by them as a student), the issue is the senior thesis.

Their drop-out, transfer rate, should be scrutinized before enrolling.

Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2007, 01:57 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
IMHO, there are only a few elite private colleges that are worth paying $40-45K a year if you essentially have to put yourself through financial hardship and stress and jeopardize your own retirement security. My list of those schools consists of the usual, well-known suspects, like, for example, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, Cal Tech, and MIT. If your child is fortunate to get into these schools, then he or she most assuredly will likely be able to get into the flagship state university.

There are many great small private colleges -- they offer first rate educations and first rate experiences, but the public universities are exceptional too, at a fraction of the cost. And yeah, everyone talks about being lost in the crowd of a big school and graduate assistants teaching classes, but that has to be balanced against the great resources of the public colleges. I think it's fair to say that in many cases, if the school fits the child, no one can really go wrong with the selection.
I think that it is important to remember that, even within the public university systems, there are both large and (relatively) small schools. I did my undergraduate work at a public university with a combined undergraduate/graduate population of somewhere around 6-7000 students. Only one course during my tenure was taught by a graduate student. This isn't in the realm of some of the smaller liberal arts schools, but it also pales in comparison to UIUC or UCLA (40000+, I think).

I personally do not believe that it is worth paying the exorbitant tuition at even the above select private institutions unless the baccalaureate degree is the terminal degree and it has no impact on parents' retirement.

As a terminal degree, some of the elite colleges do allow for more networking and first choice in interviews upon graduation. However, excelling in one's field at a flagship public institution will allow a student pretty much the same opportunities.

cho oyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:29 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Private school and money. Well if you need to go into major debt then a state school is the answer. Is she going to go on to graduate school after college? Way back the son was accepted to Cornell and Rutgers. He went to Rutgers had zero debt at graduation, went on to Graduate school Columbia, they Paid him to get his PHD and 5 year 22K stipend in addition to paying his tuition. Lived in NYC had a great time and got that Ivy League graduate degree which he now says is not worth the money if you had to pay for it. He is smart like his dad
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.
Personally, I think it depends on the student more than the school. I went to a local university (hey, I was 15, I had to choose somewhere where I didn't need to drive!) with a student population of just over 7,000. Tuition was about $1,800 a semester the whole time I was there ('93-'98). I paid for it with scholarships, grants and a student job (sometimes it pays to be poor).

While there, I had the chance to pretty much construct my own degree (having the faculty head as your advisor and having the guts to ask for things can do wonders).

9 years later, I've got a 'respectable' salary and you can even find my name on Amazon.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
Wanted to let you know, we went down and visited the school this week. Not a place I would go (too small, why would I want to read all those books , no class choices) but I'm not my daughter. She loved the campus, the currculium and the student that stopped and chatted with her. We all agree it fits her like a glove (maybe too well,) and if all things were equal (ie cost was the same as a state school ) We would give her the chance to attend. Several things other than cost steer me away. She will definately apply and should have no problem being accepted but odds are she won't be attending, even she is starting to realise a 100,000 dollars is a big debt to end college with. A year from now we'll know what seh has decided. But I really want to thank the board for all the comments on this thread. "How much is too much?" is a question we all ask each other every day from tomatoes in the grocery store, to cars, college tuition and houses. If we could only answer that then we'ld know the answer to how much is enough

5j404 is offline   Reply With Quote