Home alarm systems - pls advise

wanaberetiree

Full time employment: Posting here.
Thinking about home alarm systems, but no clue what even to consider.
So asking what other people are using and recommending.

Thx

Well there are many monitoring services that would *love* to talk to you. This must be a high margin business.

If I were to pursue this, I would just monitor it myself and not use a monitoring service.

Well there are many monitoring services that would *love( to talk to you. This must be a high margin business.

If I were to pursue this, I would just monitor it myself and not use a monitoring service.

That's the point of my question - filter them out :greetings10:

Clark Howard (and Handel on the Law) like Simpli Safe. You install yourself. Supposed to be easy. The monitoring is about $15/mo

We just got a Ring doorbell for the front and a Ring wireless cam for the side yard. Probably $300 in total. Monitoring is on our phone. We get alerts when anyone is in range. Dogs go out? Notification. Somebody walks by on the sidewalk. Notification. I want to adjust the range so we don't get so many notifications. Mrs Scrapr wants all force fields on full strength. I'm picking my battles

We have been happy with SimpliSafe but there may be alternatives out there.

Basically a base station with wireless connectivity to mounted window/door sensors. The sensors monitor for opening. There are also sensors for movement and glass breakage. I really like the motion sensors as I have them set up in all stairs so really no way to go undetected if someone entered our premise.

The system is not monitored. All I wanted was a way to be alerted when home. When no one is home, don't really care - things are replaceable.

The only item I don't like is there is no smart app connectivity unless you by into the monitoring monthly program. I messed up that in my research.

There are many systems out there now, a good visit to BB and Amazon and google searches will make it a competitive buying experience.

We put in a monitored system 24 years ago when we built the house. Door, window, and motion sensors. Then I put in my own camera system a few years ago - sends emails on motion. Depends on a lot of things, but I’d be comfortable with cameras and no monitoring if you are in good cell coverage when you are away from home

If you have WIFI in the house, I recommend a Canary. Buy the camera and the monitoring is free. I have one up north and one in my Florida house. I get a notice on my phone if movement is detected and it will record. you can also view real-time. Also has night vision and tells you current temp in house and relative humidity. You can pay a small monthly fee to have them save recordings for longer than 24 hours and some other benefits, but I just use the free service. If you see something on the video feed, you can activate an alarm and notify the police directly from your phone. I paid around $160 for the camera. JMHO

I've been in my house, in a "nice" area, for 33 years. About 3 years ago we decided to get a monitoring system and went with Simpli Safe. Yes, installing the various glass breakage and motion sensors was very easy and at $15/month it's worth the peace of mind.
Of course, I also had to pay my town a $50 fine for a 3rd "false alarm." The system worked perfectly, but unfortunately my cleaning woman had a new worker who didn't know the code, and then my adult son forgot the code. In both cases, by unfortunate circumstance DW and I were both inaccessible by phone. So Simpli Safe did what they are supposed to do and called the police.

FWIW, I recommend Simpli Safe.

I also use Simpli Safe and self monitor. Hate to imagine what my 'false alarm' fine would be if I paid for monitoring while I'm home. I usually set the alarm for 'Home' at night but have a bad habit of forgetting to turn it off in the morning when I open a door and step outside. The siren soon lets me know I messed up.

We have a legacy Brinks system that was originally installed in 1992 by the prior owners. We promptly dropped Brinks when we bought the house in 2004 and converted to a regional monitoring company for $17/mo that we still use today. The new company updated the control panel, keypad, and converted the monitoring/communication system to wireless. But it's still basically an old outdated system with no internet connectivity, smart functionality, or self-monitoring capability. The sensors are all original and seem to work fine when tested.. and there are a LOT of them.

At some point, my plan is to convert to a smart system by connecting all the existing sensors and detectors to a new network-connected panel. I've seen DIY kits that sell for under $100. I also plan to add several cameras to enable self-monitoring. That's the plan, but honestly the current system works great and DW likes the idea of using a monitoring company. So I'm in no hurry with this project.

We have ADT from forever. One thing (system aside) is the outdoor signs. They aren't the cheapest though but I can't bother looking for something totally new.

We have those familiar blue stop sign shaped 18" high signs in a couple of spots (near front door, by the path on the way around the back of the house, etc. And a couple of small stickers on windows.

90% of the benefits of a system is the deterrent they provide once someone realizes they can just go to the next house that doesn't appear to have anything. (of course, unless they are targeting you specifically for a smash and grab).

In our summer home, we have a professionally installed, UL-listed monitored system that includes, among other things, exterior intrusion, glass breakage, motion detectors, cold temp sensors, and water leak sensors in the basement. Also integrated smoke and carbon monoxide. Both copper wire and wireless monitoring. Main house and guest house. We pay about $1,000 a year for monitoring. Worth it, partly because we are not here seven months of the year, but overkill for some. Lots of valuable stuff inside.

Our winter home has a system that is not connected. However, the place is a fortress, with 24-hour guards, keyless entry system, and 33 cameras on the property that record HD video. Central fire monitoring system and sprinklered throughout. No need for a separate alarm.

We have a Radionics alarm system that we had installed when they were building our home. It has sensors on all doors, windows, phone tamper, two motion detectors, smoke detector and two keypads. Monitoring costs us $15 per month. We also have a security camera system with 8 HD cameras and a 1TB DVR.

The house I bought had a DSC alarm system, I added a card from EyezOn called Envistalink and now self monitor\remote control for no monthly cost, they also have monitoring service that is less then $10 dollars a month.

12 Gauge H&R Single Shot short barrel. No monthly fee

I prefer a pump or at least a double barrel. You just never know when you may need more than one shot quickly. But I see a firearm as an intrusion prevention system and not an intrusion detection system (alarm). For an alarm, we have dogs. However, dogs do require routine maintenance and often alert on "any noise". (a.k.a. false positives). :)

Last edited:
BetterStuff.jpg

8.95 monitoring from alarmrelay.com on a DSC brand system self installed. The company will help you change monitoring on legacy systems.

We use a Revo system to monitor the house. (I am sure the "SECURITY NOTICE: VIDEO SURVEILLANCE IN USE ON THESE PREMISES" provides some measure of security, also.)

We, also, have a Ring doorbell. This captures an image (video) of anyone approaching the exterior of the house. Plus we can "answer" the door... even when thousands of miles away.

We, also, use a Canary unit in both the house and the RV.

All of the above are monitored and controled by an App on our "smart" phones.

Back
Top Bottom