Honey, I Bleached the Asphalt

Flex Seal to the rescue!:cool:

Saw this product featured at Home Depot. Pretty expensive for one can but if you buy two, you get a big price break on the second can. The HD employee said he wouldn't recommend the product for huffing. (I asked). I didn't buy it.

I would get an oil based black paint and dilute with mineral spirits to desired consistency and brush it on the white area letting it soak in to the appropriate degree insuring longevity of your ‘fix’.

two things, I have not posted very much but this was in my experience area.
1. this...
lamp·black
/ˈlampˌblak/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a black pigment made from soot.

Idea...mix lampblack with a solvent like naptha and apply to the asphalt stain...instant BLACK.
(Lampblack works great to re-furb your COAL burning or Wood or Pellet stove black exterior.)

2. If oil drips on your concrete and you need to fix that stain, Get some grey kitty litter and a cinderblock....grind kitty litter on the offending spot with the cinderblock...
enjoy life. RETIRE

I wonder if just parking a car over the pale area would help? No one would ever know.

Hey, look, redduck my friend.

Your interesting thread drew out a [-]couple of[/-] few lurkers to make posts, [-]one[/-] two of whom just made [-]his[/-] their first post ever. :D

Last edited:
I didn't read all the replies, but...
1. Street is normally city/county property, so be discreet.
2. Buy a spray can of flat or semi-gloss (depending on how the pavement looks) matching color. Do the deed while nobody is around. Go enjoy life.
Repeat in the future if needed.

Hey, look, redduck my friend.

Your interesting thread drew out a [-]couple of[/-] few lurkers to make posts, [-]one[/-] two of whom just made [-]his[/-] their first post ever. :D

Yeah, I noticed that. Kind of a neat thing to happen.

OK, time to catch up here:
I haven't done any actual work on the stain since I bleached it. But, I did go back to Home Depot a few days ago and bought two brushes, a brass stripping brush and a steel wire brush. I also bought a can of Rust-Oleum Inverted Striping Paint and a container of Blacktop Crack Filler. Now, if none of this works, I'll start buying whatever else is suggested. I'll probably need to also buy a small, red pick-up truck to transfer all this stuff back to the house.

Oh, I also bought a lawn chair for gerntz.

I wouldn't stop them either but I might pull up a
lawn chair to watch & chuckle. BTW, I do clean up oil spots on MY concrete driveway by rubbing in Tide Liquid & waiting for rain to wash it away.

OK, time to catch up here:
I haven't done any actual work on the stain since I bleached it. But, I did go back to Home Depot a few days ago and bought two brushes, a brass stripping brush and a steel wire brush. I also bought a can of Rust-Oleum Inverted Striping Paint and a container of Blacktop Crack Filler. Now, if none of this works, I'll start buying whatever else is suggested. I'll probably need to also buy a small, red pick-up truck to transfer all this stuff back to the house.

Oh, I also bought a lawn chair for gerntz.

As a last resort, you can always get a jack hammer and bang out a few square feet of the bleached road down to the base material, get a few bags of asphalt patch, and fill the holes with it. Then tamp it down and level accordingly with additional material.

You might need a permit from the city to dig up the road though.

w
As a last resort, you can always get a jack hammer and bang out a few square feet of the bleached road down to the base material, get a few bags of asphalt patch, and fill the holes with it. Then tamp it down and level accordingly with additional material.

Gotta assume you're kidding. Though I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he'd explain the whole saga to the permit folks. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Last edited:
Gotta assume you're kidding. Though I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he explains the whole saga to the permit folks. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

That likely depends greatly on the city. Big cities probably have far more to worry about. Some professional work crews I've spoken with have said the permit process is so bogged down that they just dig into city streets without a permit, then when done patch things up, and no one has hassled them. Been doing it that way for years.

I think you all have it wrong, get some yellow traffic paint and paint a carwidth in front of property. It kills several birds at once, 1) covers the bleached spot, 2) creates a pleasant, however bright area where no one will park on, and 3) prevents it happening again. :)

And don't forget to soak the patch material with gasoline and light it on fire while you are tamping it down. Makes for a better patch.

Has no-one considered the thirty or forty 'environmental assessments' that have to be undertaken before even thinking about embarking upon such a project?

"Think of the.....(your favorite endangered species here."

Has no-one considered the thirty or forty 'environmental assessments' that have to be undertaken before even thinking about embarking upon such a project?

"Think of the.....(your favorite endangered species here."

That would be the intrepid city-dwelling redduck, right?

note: bold by the intrepid city-dwelling redduck

Must have taken the oil from the asphalt off the aggregate some

The best repair would be a drive way sealer or some bituminous product like that. It is not going to blend in though, it will stand out as bright shiny black. That will seal the area from moisture, which will help.

I could only imagine the discussions in the municipal office about the redduck guy who asked for a permit to fix the discoloration in the street. You'd make a lot of workers' day!

No one will question this:

Attachments

• Sawhorse.jpg
    Sawhorse.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom