Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Houston Texas anyone?
Old 04-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

15 years ago, Galveston at midnight was more happening then many "nightlife" spots in Houston. Me and my friends would often be the only people on the downtown streets at 9PM on Saturday (going to a restaurant, of which it does have many fine ones). It's changed for the better since then.

The 'burbs are the 'burbs. Throw in some heat and humidity, and an extra dose of sprawl, and you have a Houston subub/exurb.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2006, 03:56 PM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

[* But last year, when we had the chance to choose where to live we did not choose it.
Where did you choose instead?

Old 04-27-2006, 01:19 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
If no one tells the truth, won't everyone leave California bound for Texas?
In a word... no.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:34 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj99
[ But last year, when we had the chance to choose where to live we did not choose it.
Quote:

Where did you choose instead?
Seattle, and we like it a lot.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, this from a long long time resident of Houston....

It is HOT. To get a sense of how hot, walk into a sauna with your clothes on... yes, it is that hot for a couple of months...

It is spread out... there is a sign on I-10 coming into Houston that says Houston City Limits... about a mile later there is another that says Houston, 20 miles (or close to that.. I have not been this way in a long time)..

It is diverse... lots of cultures here

Housing is cheap in many areas, but the price range is big... if you want to live in West University, better have some money... most people live out in the burbs.

Downtown is for WORKING... it is not much of a night life area... do not think New York (excpet NY "downtown" is dead at 9 PM as I lived there for a bit, you need to go to midtown or SOHO) or Chicago. Almost everything happens in the burbs..

The housing has risen 'a lot' in the last few years.. but still cheap by comparison.. and we do NOT have a bubble to worry about. I have been to an economists lecture that has been collecting data for many many years and he said we are OK, but if the rest of the country has thier bubble burst, we will 'feel' it in other ways, but probably not in lower prices...

It is friendly in many ways, but also a big city where you can be ignored in a crowd...

Ask some more of what you really want to know and I will be happy to give my opinion..
Old 04-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I did five years there in the 80's and it looks the same today only even bigger...

Positives: Good eats, Jobs, Cheap houses

Negatives: Climate, Tx Rednecks, Big bugs, Climate, Ugly, Flat, Traffic, Crowded, Polluted

I've seen few less appealing cities in the US...no thanks.

Edit: Sorry REWahoo, just my biased opinion
Old 04-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock
Negatives: ... Tx Rednecks,...
HeY!!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #28

If you didn't have enough information already, here's one more "recommendation".

Teenager infected with rabies dies in Texas

HOUSTON (AP) A teenager stricken with rabies he likely contracted when a bat flew into his bedroom and bit him died Friday.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #29

I've been knocking around the Gulf coast since 1973 and am currently a resident of Katy (out west).* No income tax but about $7K in property tax on a 3080 sq ft home worth about $220K.* I never go to downtown unless its on business.

I'm from Seattle (Kent/Des Moines).* My family think I must be a millionaire based on my house.* They live in $400-500K cottages about half the size of my house.

I don't think I want to retire here but I may have trouble getting DW away from the grandbaby.* Texas has some great areas that would be better for retirement.* I'd suggest looking into San Antonio, San Marcos, New Braunsfels or Fredericksburg.* The climate is much less humid.

One great scam I've decided would be worth doing would be setting up a permanent residence with a small apartment for visiting family but spend most of the year traveling.* You avoid the worst of the property tax issue but preserve the freedom from income tax.

Another approach is to get a few acres and get it rated as agricultural land.* That just about eliminates property tax but you have to deal with critter crap.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
...Texas has some great areas that would be better for retirement. I'd suggest looking into San Antonio, San Marcos, New Braunsfels or Fredericksburg. The climate is much less humid.

Another approach is to get a few acres and get it rated as agriculture land. That just about eliminates property tax but you have to deal with critter crap.
Ol_Rancher, this one is all yours...

Old 05-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #31

I'm a young dreamer currently living in houston, I grew up in Florida and Georgia and to me it seems much the same. Personally, I would favor Dallas if I could pick anywhere to live in Texas, but Houston isn't bad. The traffic kills me, however (just as bad as Atlanta, if not worse).

A fun fact: Houston is larger in square mileage (1750) than the entire state of Rhode Island (1550)
Old 05-14-2006, 10:55 AM   #32

I am a native Houstonian. Moved out (military), moved back, moved out, moved back, and will move out again end of June. Houston is a big city. It has all the stuff other big cities have. Zoo, baseball, football, basketball, soccer, crime, festival, airports, and yes traffic. If you are a ‘mass commute’ type of guy, stay away from Houston. Here we like our cars! Most of the freeways into town are eight lanes or more. I-10 from the west is being expanded to 24 lanes. Should be finished in about a year or two.

Weather, yep hot and humid! But for the most part first of May through end of Sept. Takes a little getting use to. Beach at Galveston is about an hour away, depending what side of town you live on. Lots of big lakes. (we are moving to one)

Best part of all is you can afford to eat out here, and there are lots of places to do it. Because land is reasonable and abundant restaurants abound! Fast food on almost every corner. Semi fast food, less than $25 for a meal for two, on every other corner. Every type you can imagine. Today gas is at $2.86.

Property taxes are high, but there are real advantages when you reach 65. The Harris County exemption is large enough that the average home owner in that bracket doe not pay the county tax. That is about a third of your tax. Your School tax is frozen and some of the smaller city taxes. Also, there is a bill in the legislature to reduce school tax by 1/3. There is another quirk in the law that allow over 65’s to defer all property tax with a 8% simple interest charge. Tax due 180 days, I think, after death. (We plan to pay the tax to a saving vehicle of some sort. If we need the money it will be there, if not the kids will have it plus interest to pay the tax) There is a 8.5 percent sales tax. No tax on groceries or medicine. LOTS OF GOLF COURSES!!! Both public and private. Waterwood National, where we are moving to, charges $900 a year per person, for unlimited golf Sunday thru Thurs. (it use to be a PGA qualifying course) Until the California real estate guys found about Waterwood, you could buy an interior lot for $5,000. They are selling them for $30,000! My guess is there are still far sale by owner lots for a lot less. We have 2,800 sq. ft. home with 200 ft on the lake, 1.1 acres. Total cost was less than $300,000. I figure it at a million or three in California. I can pay a lot of property tax for a long time with the difference.* *

So would I retire in Houston. NO. Close to Houston, in a heart beat.*

And for some, Houston is called the city of ONS…..Without malathion and Freon, Houston would not exist!

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote