How can this happen during global warming period?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Seems as though Alaska has not received the global warming memo that was issued a few years ago. They often seem to not agree with the lower 48...

Since 1946, the USGS has maintained a research project measuring the state of Alaskan glaciers. This year saw records broken for most snow buildup. It was also the first time since any records began being that the glaciers did not shrink during the summer months.

Those records date from the mid 1700s, when the region was first visited by Russian explorers. Molnia estimates that Alaskan glaciers have lost about 15% of their total area since that time -- an area the size of Connecticut.

DailyTech - Alaskan Glaciers Grow for First Time in 250 years

I guess the freezing up of the credit markets hit Alaska hard :)

This is not necessarily inconsistent with global warming. A warmer atmosphere can hold more water vapor, which results in more rain or snow (depending on the temperature) when the moisture in the air condenses. So, if the earth were getting warmer, it's quite possible that Alaska would get more snowfall (as long as Alaska still gets below freezing).

As far as the glaciers not shrinking during the summer months-I don't know the explanation for that.

There's really no serious doubt about whether the earth has gotten warmer. The only questions are:
1) How much if any, is caused by man's activities.
2) If the warming is necessarily a bad thing (that is, bad enough to make the "cure" worth doing--if we figure out what the "cure" is)

To elaborate on what samclem says, "global warming" is the popular term for what's scientifically known as "global climate change." Not everywhere is going to get warmer, but everywhere will probably see some significant changes in weather patterns. We're already seeing evidence of this in various areas -- Greenland and Canada are losing glaciers rapidly, the Carribbean and US southeast are seeing more and larger hurricanes, the western US is facing significant water issues due to altered rain patterns, etc.

Some places may get colder, some may get warmer, some drier, some wetter -- the point is, climactic change is going to happen at a significant level in many places on the globe.

"How can this happen during global warming period?"

Why surely it must be because Sen Obama is ahead in the polls. See, he's not even been elected yet & all the bad things are going away!

Hey.... I just got a book from my sister... it is an old one talking about nuclear winter...

Seems that if we have a small nuclear war (or at least a medium one), we can reduce the global temp by about 20 C.... way more than that pesky global warming problem....

SOOOO, let's wait until it gets a bit warmer and use those nukes for some good temp changing :D

Then again it could be because that orb seen in the sky when its light out is not putting out as much energy. August 2008 the month without sunspots. First time since they have been keeping records 1600 AD or so.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Coastie, I like your sig, except you are insulting fine weasels everywhere. :(

ta,
mews,
for the Weasel Liberation Front
(all temper, all the time)

Back
Top Bottom