How Do You Stop Thinking About The Market?

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was driving home from the beach today, enjoying retirement, DW & I went bicycle riding in Marina del Rey & Venice CA and left early to *try* to avoid LA traffic. Not too far from home we were exiting the car pool lane, another car jumps out in front of me and slows down, I hit the brakes and we are all, in slow motion, slowing down together but I have the added interesting item of a fairly large truck closing in on my rear window. Fortunately his brakes were pretty good and a moment later it was all normal traffic flow. Heart rate went up, I thought, Oh No more heart sh*t but remembered its OK to have the rate go up when circumstances warrant it, and subsequently calmed down.
Now, the nice part; didn't think about the market at all:angel:

I have enough stuff that I like to tinker around with, that I really don't [-]have[/-] take time to think about the current state of affairs.....I'm not an ostrich, but rather just happy-go-lucky and to darn busy having fun to worry about things.......Besides, I'm NOT a 'worrier' to start with. Mix in with all that, the fact that I don't listen to the 'talking heads' in the media, and ya have my prescription to keep from worrying......about much of anything! :cool:

I went to church on Sunday and the first words out of the priest's mouth were "In this economy" and he spent the entire sermon talking about it in a gloom and doom perspective. I don't know if he is worried that people will cut back on their giving or what, but it was truly ridiculous.

Yeah, I know--and it was in the one place that I thought would transcend money and the economy....

I just come here and talk with all the interesting people. Nobody is worried about the market here, no sirree bob. >:D

Let's see, I've got my new townhouse (closing Monday), moving stuff to it, playing with our dogs, taking walks, watching tv (explosion movies, not news), my fantasy football team, things like that. I really only get hit by the market news here or in the car (radio).

Oh, and I also watch a presidential debate while I read this board--both sides are making me feel much better about things because they're each telling me that everything will be all better when they're elected! Whew!

Our thoughtful management at work has taken on the formidable task of keeping me from thinking about the market while in the workplace lately.

This week they have arranged to have workmen do a complete demolition of the floor below us, in order to renovate and remodel. So, all day long we hear BANG!! BANG!!! CLANK!!! BANG!! very loudly. This is so considerate because it keeps all of us from thinking about anything whatsoever, including the market.

We long to go down there and beat the building to a senseless pulp with all our might as well, but no such luck - - we aren't allowed to even enter the construction area. :bat:

Just as frosting on the cake, rising over the din was the fire alarm which has gone off several times this week by mistake. :D

I went to church on Sunday and the first words out of the priest's mouth were "In this economy" and he spent the entire sermon talking about it in a gloom and doom perspective. I don't know if he is worried that people will cut back on their giving or what, but it was truly ridiculous.

What do you expect? A priest is a business man. Selling a product/service(religion).

I've been at peace about all this over the last several days as I think about all the treasures in my life that are unrelated to the stock market. I have good health, the love of my family and friends, a comfortable home and plenty to eat. It's true that I may have to w*rk a few extra years to FIRE, but overall, life is good and I am blessed.

I'd like to add that the ER forums have generally been a great retreat from the "OMG, we're all gonna die!" hysteria of the media and some of the other forums I read.

market? what market? j/k
i've peeked about 10 times in last 2 weeks. no changes made, just watching the so-called "bottom" points. the troughs can be instructive for the overall AA plan.
your description of the LA traffic sparked a memory cell - i lived in Anaheim and commuted to Torrance in the early 80's. picture a NYer driving on the LA freeways. :cool: it was an interesting experience for all!
if it weren't for watching the Goodyear blimp takeoffs and landings in Long Beach, i'd have gone nutz in the bumper to bumper traffic .
so glad your close call :eek: came out OK.

Weellll - loaned money out at 10%, secured by property, to some neighbors just before getting on a plane to the 29 Palms Ca. area to visit and maintain the gal's Mom's house. Arranged to have the mile long path to the house graded after the city said nope, no way. Fixed plumbing leaks and did general upkeep. Went to the gal's 40th HS reunion and met a bunch of nice people. Got a call from a tenant letting me know that the Salem PD was hauling off another tenant for meth possession and sale. Called the detective and then mailed out a 24 hour notice to the idiot who thought selling meth while taking care of his 4YO son was a good idea.

Looked at some desert real estate - like this lovely unit: Photos for 86725 Misty Trl, Twentynine Palms, CA 92277 | Zillow Real Estate
Pictures don't capture the huge microwave tower looming over head - bonus energy savings, as you could probably heat a cup of coffee by holding it out the window in the transmission path. Also a junkyard with dogs nearby and, when we got there at 7AM, a scraggly tree with SIX vultures sitting in it! Figured it was a sign and left... desert lifestyle - gotta love it.

Flew home, filed eviction papers (first hearing 10-eight) and found that the duplex unit that my meth entrepreneur had been arrested in had not had it's door kicked in! Moreover, the idiot's parents had emptied out the apartment! Whoa! Way too lucky! I was expecting something a bit more like this: How can anyone live like this? (pics)

Listened to 34 messages, picked up the mail, found a $600 bounced rent payment, visited a few tenants who needed visiting, changed a kitchen faucet , picked up supplies, and started showing our vacant unit (not meth boy's).

Heard there was something else happening in the world, but have enough distractions to keep me busy.

Last edited:
Wow, Calmloki, after clicking on that link and looking at the way those people lived, I am beginning to feel like a fastidious and nearly compulsive clean-freak. ;)

It's mind-boggling that anyone could live like that!

Wow, Calmloki, after clicking on that link and looking at the way those people lived, I am beginning to feel like a fastidious and nearly compulsive clean-freak. ;)

The odd thing about those pics is that the walls and door edges don't look dirty - with the amount of cigarette butts i'd expect the walls to be dripping yellow. Did you see the lovely pink outhouse with flush toilet in the desert house link? That proud homeowner was a styler!

Just remind the Rev. Father that the Lord is his shepherd and that [-]he should focus on long term returns [/-]his reward will come in eternal life.

:angel:

A near miss is still a miss-somedays thats the only aerobic exercise I get.

Hope the bike ride went well. Now that sounds like a good distraction.

DW is a worrier - I've said before that I don't have to worry about anything because she does all my worrying for me.

Me? I'm just busy working at a job that has a grueling 3.4 mile commute and that for the most part involves keeping a chair warm. Also on the homestretch on finishing getting FIL's house prepped for sale, thinking about the Suzuki C90T I'm going to be riding by next spring - http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/C90TK8.

Thinking of touring WV, VA, MD, PA, OH with it, getting 50+ mpg.

I don't have time to be thinking about the market. I also don't really care much if too many other people borrowed more than they can afford and are now having problems. All of our stuff is paid for, we don't give a thought to where our next meal is coming from, our health is good, and I can write a $10k check for a toy. What's not to like?

at least the the cat litter box is cleaner than the rest of the bathroom.

I was driving home from the beach today, enjoying retirement, DW & I went bicycle riding in Marina del Rey & Venice CA and left early to *try* to avoid LA traffic.

If you see a great big middle-aged guy plodding along on a cross bike, it might be me. I ride thru that area regularly.

As far as distractions go, I was on the Amtrak train that was stuck in Oakland 3 hours when a guy committed suicide (gun to the head) in one of the sleeper cars last week. Police, coroner, even some yellow tape. I was a day late for the Compton Blue Line station shootings though (3 dead), one stop before I get off.

If you see a great big middle-aged guy plodding along on a cross bike, it might be me. I ride thru that area regularly.

As far as distractions go, I was on the Amtrak train that was stuck in Oakland 3 hours when a guy committed suicide (gun to the head) in one of the sleeper cars last week. Police, coroner, even some yellow tape. I was a day late for the Compton Blue Line station shootings though (3 dead), one stop before I get off.

Hey were you the guy that told us to step aside on the path around Venice Beach b/c it's bikes only?

I found a new computer game to become addicted to. Did something happen in the market that I should know about? I have not forget about my friends on the ER boards, just been too busy declaring independence (the game is Civ 4: Colonization).

I heard some vague rumors of a market meltdown, something about a bailout bill, but who cares, a new world awaits.

"Da Nile isn't just a river in Africa, it is a much underrated coping strategy :)"

Back
Top Bottom