Road Rage!

I find that if I just lean forward, the angle of the mirror changes to the “eliminate blind spot” angle. Also doesn’t hurt to look over your shoulder, though I’ll admit that gets harder with age. I align my mirrors the “old” way as I have been for ever. Not going to change now. When I’ve cut someone off, it’s been because I was too casual/cocky about following proper procedure. Good thing is that now, one car has a blind spot indicator and the truck has a blind spot mirror.

Last edited:
I've found that in my jeep I only need to lean forward a little bit before changing lanes to see all the way next to the car in either side mirror.

I really like it in the rental car when the side mirror light flashes when a car is next to you.

I just tried it and it doesn't work for me. Neither mirror wound up giving me the correct view. I'll keep using the method I described above. It's actually described and illustrated pretty well here:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15131074/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots/

I've been using the SAE/Car and Driver method for 15 years. It has been life changing. Well, at least driver life changing. No more close calls, ever. The Car and Driver article pictures shows exactly how you see it old way versus new way. Once I set my mirrors, I let cars pass me to double check my alignment knowing a car is in the blind spot. Then I pass someone to do the same for the right mirror.

DW hates it when we switch drivers on long trips. She still likes seeing the flank of the car. Once you get used to losing the crutch of seeing the flank of your car, your world opens up.

The other "Car Talk" link above I think is trying to do the same thing, but the description is a bit obtuse to me.

Last edited:
Had a coworker that told me he had a car tailgating him in a residential area. At the next stop sign he put the car in park and walked back to the tailgater and told them " Please do not follow so close as I have some nitroglycerine in my trunk." Then he drove off in his car.

Do the driving instructors know how? I went to driving school at 19. I remember being told to adjust my left side mirror (no right side mirrors at that time) so that I could see the back window/corner of the car. How is a new driver supposed to know that you have a blind spot that way?

I don't know why driving instructors don't know how to adjust mirrors...it's not like it's a secret. There's really no need to see the side of your car, but you do need to know who is beside you.

And to see if the left lane is clear to merge/change, oh, you just quickly turn your head to the left and look over your shoulder. :facepalm: I saw my grandfather do that often enough, that I didn't question it. Maybe that's how everyone was taught? :confused: Now they talk so often about not taking your eyes off the road (texting, etc.), yet that was/is considered acceptable?

Even though I don't have a blind spot, I still shoulder check.

In my opinion, mirrors are there to see who is BEHIND you. If you want to see who is on either side, you turn your head and look. Too many people are "mirror drivers" these days and you will always have a blind spot somewhere with a mirror. No matter where you aim them they only show a limited field of vision.

I see that all the time out on the interstate. People see my car in their mirror so they come over into my lane. Never mind they're only three feet from my bumper at 70mph! I don't know if they still do, but side mirrors used to have "objects are closer than they appear" printed on them.

Turning your head is only risky if you're following so close to the person in front of you that you might rear end them.

Also, don't rely on any one method. I look to see if someone is beside me, check my mirror to see if anyone is coming up from behind, and watch to the side again as I'm changing lanes. If traffic is busy, I might repeat this a couple times before changing lanes.

I've found that in my jeep I only need to lean forward a little bit before changing lanes to see all the way next to the car in either side mirror.

I really like it in the rental car when the side mirror light flashes when a car is next to you.

I don't drive a jeep, but I have found that simply leaning forward or in some combination with moving my head left or right, with turning my head a little covers the blind spots.

I don't know why driving instructors don't know how to adjust mirrors...it's not like it's a secret. There's really no need to see the side of your car, but you do need to know who is beside you.

Actually, the reason to see the side of you car has to do with backing up, like into a parking spot. Knowing where your rear bumper is necessary so as to not clip the car in the space next to the one your backing into.

What they stress is 1 second for each 10 miles an hour. You watch the car in front of you pass some object bridge, sign car whatever and count how many seconds before you pass that same object.

4 -6 seconds under 30 mph. 6-8 seconds over 30 mph. 8-12 seconds eye lead time (do not get fixated on the car in front of you).

Many people today are angry and stressed, and don't care how their actions effect others. Times have changed, and they will continue to - and not for the better. Remember, the "meek inherit the Earth". Let them 'win', and go on with your day.
I'll hazard that there's a correlation with Twitter usage rate.

In my opinion, mirrors are there to see who is BEHIND you. If you want to see who is on either side, you turn your head and look. Too many people are "mirror drivers" these days and you will always have a blind spot somewhere with a mirror. No matter where you aim them they only show a limited field of vision.
This is why I have blind spot detection.

With my car's mirrors set a certain way there is no blind spot...either behind or beside me. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

With my car's mirrors set a certain way there is no blind spot...either behind or beside me. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Agree. As I said above, I'm a convert from the "see the back of the car" adjustment to the "slightly overlap the rear view mirror" adjustment. My link above explains and illustrates it perfectly. I was skeptical at first, but it's really true. I don't expect to convince anyone else though, if they are so dogmatic in their views.

A personal pitfall I experienced when trying to turn my head quickly to the side to see if someone was in my blind spot, was that my vision was blocked by the interior of my own vehicle, specifically the area between the driver's door and the rear passenger door. I have to have my seat further forward and it created an issue for me. I literally couldn't see far back enough for it to be effective. Someone with longer legs who can put the seat further back had better visibility through the left rear window.

Actually, the reason to see the side of you car has to do with backing up, like into a parking spot. Knowing where your rear bumper is necessary so as to not clip the car in the space next to the one your backing into.

Then you can temporarily adjust the mirrors to see the back end of your car for that purpose. Although I think that backing into a parking spot is more risky than just heading in to begin with. And it's annoying when the person backing into a parking spot does so without regard to other drivers, making others stop while they try to back into the parking space, which usually takes longer. :facepalm:

Road rage is real. It's sad people don't even recognize how they are putting their and others' lives in danger. Glad that OP and his wife were safe.

I see that all the time out on the interstate. People see my car in their mirror so they come over into my lane. Never mind they're only three feet from my bumper at 70mph! I don't know if they still do, but side mirrors used to have "objects are closer than they appear" printed on them.

Turning your head is only risky if you're following so close to the person in front of you that you might rear end them.

The only "mirror drivers" who present a risk are those who have them adjusted to only see the back edge of their car. They think because they don't see a car in their mirror, there isn't one there. When they almost sideswipe someone, it's obviously not true. How do you know that people are seeing your car in their mirror before they move over into your lane? If they saw your car, they shouldn't be moving over, should they? Personally, I can't tell what any other driver is seeing in their mirror. :confused: Yes, side mirrors still have that printed on them.

Your second paragraph contradicts your third paragraph. You've illustrated perfectly why I never felt safe turning my head. I leave plenty of distance between myself and the car in front, no matter the speed. Yet I can't control whether someone decides to change lanes right in front of me, leaving no room to spare.

We've all seen the most moronic things on the road, haven't we? The person 2 lanes over from the turning lane who suddenly cuts across those 2 lanes to get into it at the last second. Yesterday, the person who followed behind me too close on a 45 MPH 2 lane road, who clearly wanted to go faster than the speed limit, but couldn't, because I wouldn't. As soon as the road opened up to more lanes, they tried to cut around me, but were stopped by a red light. As soon as the light turned green, they sped up and cut in front of me, soon exceeding the speed limit by an unhealthy margin. They sat in front of me at the next 2 red lights. :LOL: Only to turn into a gas station. Maybe they thought the price would jump up in the next few seconds if they didn't hurry. :facepalm:

Folks who complain about "only mirror drivers" obviously have never driven a large truck. Ever see an 18 wheeler driver turn their head around? Hint: it doesn't work. Proper adjustment of mirrors does.

Then you can temporarily adjust the mirrors to see the back end of your car for that purpose. Although I think that backing into a parking spot is more risky than just heading in to begin with. And it's annoying when the person backing into a parking spot does so without regard to other drivers, making others stop while they try to back into the parking space, which usually takes longer. :facepalm:
True for most circumstances.

However, at a sporting or concert event, or any other event where a crowd hits the lot at one time, backing in is important for both safety and sanity upon leaving the event.

That's the only time I back in.

True for most circumstances.

However, at a sporting or concert event, or any other event where a crowd hits the lot at one time, backing in is important for both safety and sanity upon leaving the event.

That's the only time I back in.
I back in most the time. Limited range of motion and the time to rotate my heads direction has left me stuck in parking places many times. I'm happy to deal with folks I can see as I back in. Safer in most places for me. Of course I drove log truck for a few years. At some point I'd driven almost as many miles in back-em-up-gear as forward.

I have read carefully, every single post on this thread. I find all of it fascinating. Mountainsoft: I am really surprised you have not mentioned mountain driving. The two lane roads (no shoulder to speak of) up and down mountains with no guardrails. DBI and DSI live in Italy in the Apennine's behind Bologna. Daily driving for them, up and down, curving in and out these roads. I believe they have a sixth sense for what is coming around those curves. I cannot figure out how they've not been killed hundreds of times over. They "frick'in" pass on these roads. In the winter, in the rain, in the ice it's like a roller coaster. I have stopped breathing many times with them. And no road rage that I've ever experienced. They tap their horn lightly behind someone going slow. That person moves over into a tiny patch (I would never call a shoulder) and lets them pass. People BIKE and WALK on these roads. Cars are super tolerant of both and always give the bikers and walkers the benefit.

And try driving in Italy (Rome, Bologna)! There are no rules of the road, anywhere. Yes, there are accidents but way fewer than you'd think. They've lived there over 30 years and we've visited many times. I'm just a passenger in awe.
Here, there is just stupidity, disrespect and ignorance with so many drivers. We have big roads with many lanes. Big cars and SUV's. In Italy the cars are small and efficient. But survival in a bad accident there, highly unlikely.

I back in most the time. Limited range of motion and the time to rotate my heads direction has left me stuck in parking places many times. I'm happy to deal with folks I can see as I back in. Safer in most places for me. Of course I drove log truck for a few years. At some point I'd driven almost as many miles in back-em-up-gear as forward.

I was commenting just the other day, how amazing it is to see someone backup those big trucks into a space that I'd be nervous about backing my van into... :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom