How healthy is your lifestyle?

wabmester said:
They've even given it a name:  "the family bed."    We took that route too.   It was the only way we could sleep, and I *love* sleep.    We eventually transitioned the kid to a separate bed next to ours, and then to her own bedroom by the time she was two.    She still crowds in with us once in a while.   I strongly recommend getting a king-size bed if you take this route.

I have often made changes/decisions where I opined "I will never go back",
only to revert to my old ways and thus have to eat my words. I knew the
king sized bed would always be with me as soon as I got one. Pure
bliss from the first night. A purchase never second guessed once.

JG

pbrane said:
Now my new "goal" is to do 25 chin-ups by next birthday (50th).  I'm 6'2"+ and 173 lbs.
One a day or in one session?

I'm not down to 173 yet but the pullups have gotten a lot easier after losing the first 25 pounds.

Our dojang's black belt qualification test requires a two-mile run at an eight minute pace (no problem), 100 situps in two minutes, and 100 pushups in two minutes. I can probably get back to 100 situps in that time but the 100 pushups is gonna be a joint challenge... luckily that's at least two years away.

Hi Nords:

I might have some trouble with the 2-mile runs, as I havn't done any running (other than for chasing my missed 3-point attempts around the basketball court) for quite awhile. I'm also too cheap to buy running shoes. My old (1951!) Raleigh 3-speed doesn't rquire any special shoes...and I found it on the curb! Totally free exercise.

As for the sit-ups, I use a machine with all the weights loaded on, and I do 2 sets of 25 everyday. Chin-ups are in one quick shot. I do as many as I can until it feels like my aorta's gonna pop...

-pb

Good advice: If you decide to take up jogging/running, do yourself a favor, and DON'T skimp on running shoes. Your feet, knees, ankles, and back will all thank you!

Have Funds said:
Good advice: If you decide to take up jogging/running, do yourself a favor, and DON'T skimp on running shoes. Your feet, knees, ankles, and back will all thank you!
Been there, done that. I ran what I counted as 11k miles or so. Knees forbid it now. So I use the stationary bike and the elliptical machine.

TromboneAl said:
How often do you surf, Nords? 
It goes in squirts spurts.

South shore is back for the summer (actually until late Oct) and White Plains Beach is a huge bunch of breaks with plenty of parking only 30 minutes from the house. I'll try to go there at least twice a week plus whatever the kid will put up with on weekends. On a great day I'll be in for 90 minutes before my arms turn to spaghetti. On a quieter day it takes 2-3 hours. I'm grudgingly beginning to accept that the only surfing I can do for longer than that involves a high-speed Internet connection.

If the surf stays up next week like it did last week then we're talking three or four times per week. But I'll pay for that at tae kwon do practice.

After October I don't seem to do very well. When the North Shore comes up (and the south dies off) then every surfin' fool in both hemispheres descends on Haleiwa. For the last two winters I've been going up to Haleiwa Ali'i Beach Park (I've only been surfing three years) and jostling with guys paying $2000/week to sleep in a cinderblock hovel efficiency. Traffic is a parking lot, the parking lot is overflowing, the break is small with a brisk current, and the waves are frequently higher than 10 feet. You can imagine that it's not quite the aloha image the Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau attempts to convey... it reminds me more of parts of southern California. (I enjoy having the turtles pop up to check out the surfers, though.)

So this year, and this time I really mean it, I'm going to take the time to scout out places closer to Waialua & Mokuleia (opposite the meccas of Pipeline & Waimea) or see if the west side holds up in winter. It just means a lot of driving and possibly a wasted afternoon without easy surfing.

I have enough leg muscles & cartilage to run two more miles, but I think that I'm pretty close to warranty expiration. It's probably a reaction to not having to do it for a Navy grade anymore.

Anyone read Stretching Scientifically and tried his program? If you can't make out the cover art, that's the author doing a full split on a couple metal chairs while holding his toddler on his shoulder. (The back cover shows him doing it with a major babe sitting on his right hip.) I've read through it once and it's like reading a Grateful Med survey of medical research. I'm going back again to focus on the martial arts parts and it seems like a good program. He cautions everyone that it should take a year to reach the full split, that not everyone can do it with same results, etc but I'm already seeing improvement after just a month.

We've tried the 'family bed' thing. With three dogs, three cats, and three people even a king size bed gets a little crowded. In particular, the space near the top of the bed between us (where the little baby bed thingy goes) is highly prized by four of the six animals (two having given up completely).

He's got his own nursery, which is a 10x11 sitting room right off our master. That works because I'm a horrible insomniac and have to watch tv for hours sometimes to get back to sleep. Baby quacks, i'm up for 2 hours. TV on, baby wakes up. Vicious cycle.

He's done better since I've been giving him baby tylenol before bed, so that probably confirms the teething. But man is it early (4 months old). And i hate giving him anything, even something this mild.

Problem should be mostly solved when momma starts working day shift instead of 6pm to 6am. Then at least I'll have a little help and wont have to keep him out of the house during the day while she sleeps.

Man are you guys some toothpicks. I'd have to cut off a couple of limbs to get down to ~175. Last time I checked I was in the 240 range.

th said:
He's got his own nursery, which is a 10x11 sitting room right off our master. That works because I'm a horrible insomniac and have to watch tv for hours sometimes to get back to sleep. Baby quacks, i'm up for 2 hours. TV on, baby wakes up. Vicious cycle.
Yoga, man. It'll have you sleeping like a baby again. Cut that. It will have you sleeping through the night in no time. May help take off a pound or two, too.

Course if your insomnia means you post long thoughtful pieces here, not sure if anyone wants to see you cured! :D

You want to get to know these childhood remedies -- Dimetap will knock the little suckers out for a few hours and give you a chance to get some sleep. Even if you don't use it, nice to have it in your arsenal. (maybe 4 months is a little early for dimetap though!)

ESRBob said:
Yoga, man.  It'll have you sleeping like a baby again.  Cut that.  It will have you sleeping through the night in no time.  May help take off a pound or two, too.

Course if your insomnia means you post long thoughtful pieces here, not sure if anyone wants to see you cured!   :D

You want to get to know these childhood remedies -- Dimetap will knock the little suckers out for a few hours and give you a chance to get some sleep.  Even if you don't use it, nice to have it in your arsenal.  (maybe 4 months is a little early for dimetap though!)

A manhattan and a Xanax should work fine (for you, not the baby) :)

JG

ESRBob said:
Yoga, man. It'll have you sleeping like a baby again. Cut that. It will have you sleeping through the night in no time. May help take off a pound or two, too.

Make ya laugh. My wife on her way out to work said "I'd suggest yoga, but you'd take about 2 minutes of it, get bored and be off taking something apart."

th said:
We've tried the 'family bed' thing.  With three dogs, three cats, and three people even a king size bed gets a little crowded.  In particular, the space near the top of the bed between us (where the little baby bed thingy goes) is highly prized by four of the six animals (two having given up completely).

He's got his own nursery, which is a 10x11 sitting room right off our master.  That works because I'm a horrible insomniac and have to watch tv for hours sometimes to get back to sleep.  Baby quacks, i'm up for 2 hours.  TV on, baby wakes up.  Vicious cycle.

He's done better since I've been giving him baby tylenol before bed, so that probably confirms the teething.  But man is it early (4 months old).  And i hate giving him anything, even something this mild.

Problem should be mostly solved when momma starts working day shift instead of 6pm to 6am.  Then at least I'll have a little help and wont have to keep him out of the house during the day while she sleeps.

Man are you guys some toothpicks.  I'd have to cut off a couple of limbs to get down to ~175.  Last time I checked I was in the 240 range.

Oddly, I had you pictured as a little bitty guy.

JG

I have a little bitty guy, but I just put him to bed.

I've always pictured you as a guy I used to know that seems a lot like you. Looks like snidely whiplash with a perm and the ends snipped off the handlebar mustache.

Oddly, I had you pictured as a little bitty guy.JG

I've always pictured you as a guy I used to know that seems a lot like you.  Looks like snidely whiplash with a perm and the ends snipped off the handlebar mustache.

You guys make the web pulsate with love.

H

Oddly, I had you pictured as a little bitty guy.

I've always pictured you as a guy I used to know that seems a lot like you. Looks like snidely whiplash with a perm and the ends snipped off the handlebar mustache.

I've always done my best to avoid picturing both of you. :D :D :D

th said:
Man are you guys some toothpicks. I'd have to cut off a couple of limbs to get down to ~175. Last time I checked I was in the 240 range.

Hey th, be careful. You want to be around and healthy for your grand children. :D

I'm on my way to have an angiogram to check on the coiling job they did on my brain anuerysm three years ago. If it looks good I won't have to have another for five years.

I hate to say it but it beats a day at the office ... :eek:

-helen

Oh Helen, I think I would rather go to work. :'( Especially since I am sitting here goofing off right now.

Good luck on the procedure.

HaHa said:
You guys make the web pulsate with love.

Anytime I hear the words 'pulsate' and 'love' in close proximity to each other, my little bitty guy gets happy :)

Yes John, I'm roughly the size of your average linebacker. Well, a somewhat pudgy linebacker.

I could lose ~20lbs. Put the baby in my baby backpack and took a 5 mile walk with him last night. He's a lot better than those little ankle weights for giving you a little bit of a workout.

Martha said:
Oh Helen, I think I would rather go to work.  :'(  Especially since I am sitting here goofing off right now.

Good luck on the procedure.

Thanks, Martha ! I enjoy your posts !!!!

Well, it's not a bad procedure. They gave me a valium type drug via IV and a heated blanket. It's kind of like crawling back into the womb ::)

I was hoping I could put this behind me for a while, but it looks like the aneurysm isn't completely sealed. It's slowly growing at the base. So, I have to go back for another angiogram in 3 years.

The good news is that they now have brain stents, so he can stent it then pack more coiling in. The coiling procedure is pretty close to a painless procedure, not much different than the brain angiogram. And, I don't have to take any medication and it is totally symptomless.

Todays findings are not the worse news I could have had. He said there is very little risk of a burst at this point. We just need to keep an eye on it and do another coiling procedure when the time comes.

You'd think with all the metal in my head I could get better reception on the cell phone !!!

-helen

Helen, thanks for posting on your experience today. I hope you continue to heal uneventfully.

Mike

So, I'm grinding some french roast beans and about ready to have my health tonic...that's right I just read that I'm doing something really good for my health...

Coffee is number one source of antioxidants

http://www.physorg.com/news6067.html

Back
Top Bottom