How long has it been since you had a Twinkie?

As another former NYer, not Dugans so much for me, but Entenmann's crumb cake, yum!

Funny thing is that when I left NY I figured I'd never see Entenmann's again. About 1 mile from where we live in Florida is an Entenmann's stand alone store. They don't even have those in NY. Heh! They are helping me maintain my weight.

I hate to admit it but I have eaten a few twinkies in my time. We would usually buy a box like in TromboneAl's picture and put them in the freezer. They are pretty good frozen.:blush:
Then they came out with different flavored fillings (for a 'limited time' like the McRib) in the twinkie (strawberry, chocolate, banana creme) I was partial to the chocolate filling once, the second box not so good for some reason. I didn't realize the limited time meant because they were going bankrupt :confused:

I had found that a twinkie with strawberries was just as good as strawberry shortcake. (Good thing I proofread I caught a typo that was a gross version of shortcake.)

Last edited:
The only time I ever eat a Hostess product is when I go fishing. I only fish every couple years, but I always grab a Hostess fruit pie at the bait shop when I do. My dad always got me one when we would go fishing when I was a little kid.

Your trivia for today:
  • According to Hostess, it takes 45 seconds to explode a Twinkie in a microwave.
  • The shelf life of a Twinkie is 25 day, contrary to urban legend.
  • What could be better than a Twinkie and a Mountain Dew (sans mouse)?
I wouldn't miss any of them, YMMV...

Attachments

• logo_all.jpg
    logo_all.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Confesson: about once per year DW and I buy a package of Hostess cupcakes and eat one each.

It's our only vice in life.

Never had a Twinkie. Little Debbie snacks are a different story entirely.

I had found that a twinkie with strawberries was just as good as strawberry shortcake. (Good thing I proofread I caught a typo that was a gross version of shortcake.)

I think the 'typo' was correct. Are you seriously saying that a Strawberry flavored Twinkie is 'just as good' as a real, fresh baked Strawberry Shortcake, with fresh, ripe strawberries, fresh baked home-made pound cake, and freshly whipped cream? :nonono:

I think this explains your 'substitutes' for your low-carb diet. You have no taste buds T-Al! :LOL:

-ERD50

I hope I didn't startle anyone or drive them into deep despondency thinking that Hostess Brands was closing. Their previous bankruptcy was filed in 2004, and it wasn't till 2009 that they exited. No hurry I guess! They said that their customers would see no effect from their latest bankruptcy. So the big cream pumps are keepin' on pumpin'!

All of this could have been averted at the last minute if bbbamI would have had two Twinkies that day, instead of only one :D

All of this could have been averted at the last minute if bbbamI would have had two Twinkies that day, instead of only one :D
Oh...I've had my share, let me tell you. :D Years ago, someone told me how great fried Twinkies were...I tried one. Not good (IMO). But hey, I'm still not going to give Twinkies a bad [-]wrap[/-] rap.

I cannot remember my last Twinkie. I am sure I ate some.

It could have been even before the criminal case with the "Twinkie defense". Just looked that up, and Wikipedia said that was in 1979. That sounds about right.

I'm not a big fan of regular Twinkies, BUT:
1) I can remember that a few years ago they would occasionally come out with Devils's Food Twinkies - those were pretty good.
2) A small chocolate and ice cream chain called Kilwin's ( I believe they are just on the East Coast) makes dark chocolate covered Twinkies. That combination is downright awesome, especially frozen...and especially with a glass of cold milk.

There was a guy on Leno who had one every day for 25 yrs or something like that.

23 years in the US and have managed to escape so far...

I will, however, kill for a packet of Chocolate Kimberleys...

I had a Twinkie once and didn't care for it. However, when I was about 5 years old I had a Hostess Cupcake and thought it was the most wonderful thing in the world to eat. Probably because they were pushed by Howdy Doody and Buffalo Bob.
Ate another one about 40 years later and was not so impressed but still sorry to see them go.

Cheers!

I was excavating down to the bottom edge of a slab foundation today, and dug into a piece of plastic wrapper. It was bunched up, could have been due to the weight of earth and sand on it. It got torn up digging through it, I tried reading scraps of it with no luck... until I found this piece!

A wrapper from a Hostess Twinkie! And not just any wrapper, but one with a colorful picture of a cowboy hat on a Twinkie, and the hat looks like it says "The Twinkie Kid". Maybe it was a special Texas edition wrapper. I'm figuring it is at least 30 years old. And no, there were no remains inside of it!

Does anyone remember a "The Twinkie Kid" ad campaign?

Attachments

• subterraneantwinkie.jpg
    subterraneantwinkie.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I was excavating down to the bottom edge of a slab foundation today, and dug into a piece of plastic wrapper. It was bunched up, could have been due to the weight of earth and sand on it. It got torn up digging through it, I tried reading scraps of it with no luck... until I found this piece!

A wrapper from a Hostess Twinkie! And not just any wrapper, but one with a colorful picture of a cowboy hat on a Twinkie, and the hat looks like it says "The Twinkie Kid". Maybe it was a special Texas edition wrapper. I'm figuring it is at least 30 years old. And no, there were no remains inside of it!

Does anyone remember a "The Twinkie Kid" ad campaign?

It's apparently "Twinkie the Kid".

Twinkie the Kid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hadn't had a Twinkie in at least 20 years (earlier post). I was grocery shopping yesterday and they had a Twinkie 2-pack at the checkout, so I bought them. Ate the last night, and they were pretty awful. :facepalm:

Just so you know, I never would have done it if not for this thread. So I hold you all responsible, you owe me...does this place do refunds?

...(snip)...
Just so you know, I never would have done it if not for this thread. So I hold you all responsible, you owe me...does this place do refunds?
First you have to go buy a package of Hostess cupcakes. If you are still dissatisfied report back.

Back
Top Bottom