Join Early Retirement Today

How many different pairs of glasses do you wear each day?
Old 03-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How many different pairs of glasses do you wear each day?

I'm just wondering if I'm the only nut job?

1) I have my bifocals that I wear most of the day.
2) I have my bifocal sunglasses for driving.
3) I have my computer glasses, center of vision optimized for about 3'.
4) I have my TV glasses, non bifocal, that makes it more comfortable for watching TV in bed.

jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A pair of transition lens glasses I wear for driving/walking outside......whip them off the second I get inside the door.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Only sunglasses, when needed.

(I do wear monovision contact lenses from waking-time to bedtime.)

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Just readers, since my cataract surgery.

Well, I also have some expensive non-prescription RayBan wraparound sunglasses that make me feel like a movie star. I keep them in the car to wear when driving. Honestly they are the only thing about driving that is fun any more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (18.0 KB, 36 views)

― Percy Bysshe Shelley
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

A pair of Ray Ban outside and for serious reading I have reading glasses. Can't get away with OTC because of the momovision set up from cataract surgury..

Going from having to find my glasses in order to find the floor with my feet is still amazing.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

Whenever I get a new glasses prescription, I order a handful of single-vision glasses from one of the Chinese suppliers. I get pairs of reading glasses (close prescription) for each place that I typically sit and read plus a pair to carry when I travel. I get pairs of computer glasses (mid-prescription) for each (2) places that I work.

The reading glasses frames are predominantly black. The computer glasses frames are predominantly brown or gold. I am not fussy about the frame look, so typically I get tham on sale @ two pairs for $25 plus shipping.

Most days at home I wear three different pairs plus clip-on sunglasses when driving.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I wear a pair of non-prescription reading glasses most of the time when I am indoors, doing anything which requires seeing something close-up. That includes reading (a book, on the PC, or playing my Strat-o-Matic baseball game), cooking, and doing dishes (so I can see what the heck I am doing). I don't need to look through them when I am watching TV, so if I am doing that and something I need the glasses to see, I wear the glasses further down on my nose so I can see straight ahead with them.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

One pair of bifocals for daily use (everything). One pair of bifocal sunglasses. Both ordered from Zinni.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I use 2 on a regular basis. 1) indoor (casual, old prescription) and 2) computer glasses.

When driving at night, I use a stronger prescription glasses and also have a nice comfy pair of prescription sunglasses when the sun is too bright for my transitions.

But for up close viewing (like reading off smartphone), nothing beats taking the glasses off going with naked eye .
Old 03-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Only non-prescription readers -- since finding Clics on Amazon a few years ago, I no longer require multiple pairs of cheapo readers scattered around the house/auto.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

When I worked, I used monovision contacts. Now I just use cheap Costco reading glasses. A pair by the computer, a pair in the kitchen, a pair in the bedroom, and one in the purse. Gets me through the day.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I just wear a pair of progressive glasses all the time. No readers, sun glasses, etc. Works just fine.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

A handful of cheap EBay readers scattered around each room of the house and in each car. Bifocal reader/sunglasses for driving, regular sunglasses for everything else outdoors.
Until I pay my bill

-Warren Zevon
chilkoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have a pair of bifocals with the close lenses adjusted for instrument gauge distance, that I use for driving. Otherwise, I don't wear glasses at all.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #15

Two pairs. One set of bifocals ground for 30 inches upper when I sit at the PC. The other I use for everything else.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #16

A pair of progressives that I wear most often.
A pair of single vision sunglasses for driving - kept in the car
A pair of single vision sunglasses for bicycling/hiking, sweaty sports.
A back up pair of progressives that I take when we travel. Nothing could ruin a vacation more quickly than not being able to see.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

My main glasses are transition lenses and I'm surprised at the number of people that use just those, and not sunglasses, for driving.
Mine don't get very dark in the car.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #18

For a couple years after cataract surgery, I had multiple reading glasses (of various strengths) spread all over the house and workshop plus some bi-focal sunglasses in the car so I could read the dash and GPS. It was very frustrating having to constantly change glasses for different activities.

I now have one pair of glasses that I wear all the time. It's a very expensive Hoya progressive lens that works great for any situation. My eyes and brain have adapted quite well. I sometimes take them off for watching TV, walking, hiking, and other outdoor activities. I don't really need them for distance vision. They have transition lenses, which I like. But sometimes if it's too bright while driving, I switch back to the old bi-focal sunglasses.

This is way better than all the readers but the trade-off is I'm back to wearing glasses almost all the time.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
My main glasses are transition lenses and I'm surprised at the number of people that use just those, and not sunglasses, for driving.
Mine don't get very dark in the car.
I thought of transition lenses until I saw a great wraparound style of RayBan sunglasses that I wanted. I added a photo of them to my post above. They are dark, but not TOO dark, with grey lenses that transmit colors reasonably, and they are polarized so I never get the slightest glare when wearing them. I never have had any but the lowest quality sunglasses before, and usually none at all. To me these RayBans are simply amazing.

― Percy Bysshe Shelley
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #20

My eyes have been getting stronger since I turned 55 a few years ago. This is after I stopped wearing contact lenses. I don't need reading glasses but my myopic correction has gone from -3.00 L / -2.50 R to -1.50 L/ -1.0 R. I have been changing prescription glasses every year and my current pair are too strong and will have to be changed again. I only use glasses for driving. My wife is the opposite. She never wore glasses before but needed reading glasses starting at age 46 and at 49 years years old, still has a hard time adjusting to reading glasses. She can't read the menu at restaurants without glasses. She complains that the food on her plate is blurry without glasses. She has about 6 pairs all over the house.

Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote