Do Opticians Even Make Sure You Can See Properly?

The Costco's by me aren't in the best locations. Plus, wouldn't be surprised if they too might hand me glasses and say "Good luck pal."

Would never happen. Their policy is to be deliberately liberal on all returns. It's baked in to their whole business model.

I didn't like the progressive prescription I was given. Took them back and redid, even got a partial refund as the new scrip was slightly less.

There is a fair amount of technical stuff that goes into making up eye glasses.
The #1 issue is the optical center of the lens. Some expensive gizmos are needed to accurately locate and mark. Which has to mach your PD (pupillary distance). The location of the optical center position is different for readers v distance use. For readers there is bit of convergence which has to be measured sparate from distance viewing. This has to be accounted for based on frame size, since for people who like large frames, the lens blank has to be larger. More $$. When it comes to bi and trifocal or gradient lenses, thing get more tricky. I assume much of this is automated nowadays, but not infallible.

Another words the PD is most important measurement and placing the optical center of the lens to this measure is vital. Else the lenses force one to be cross eyed or diverging in various directions, etc.. Causing headaches.

As the old ginzu knife commerscials used to say, and there is more. A lot more.
How do I know this? My late brother was an optician, I used to spend time helping out in his shop making up eye glasses. I have some reallly awesome no longer useful skills in hand cutting and hand grinding edge bevels of glass lenses to size, popping them into plastic frames, etc..

There is a fair amount of technical stuff that goes into making up eye glasses.
The #1 issue is the optical center of the lens. Some expensive gizmos are needed to accurately locate and mark. Which has to mach your PD (pupillary distance). The location of the optical center position is different for readers v distance use. For readers there is bit of convergence which has to be measured sparate from distance viewing. This has to be accounted for based on frame size, since for people who like large frames, the lens blank has to be larger. More $$. When it comes to bi and trifocal or gradient lenses, thing get more tricky. I assume much of this is automated nowadays, but not infallible.

Another words the PD is most important measurement and placing the optical center of the lens to this measure is vital. Else the lenses force one to be cross eyed or diverging in various directions, etc.. Causing headaches.

As the old ginzu knife commerscials used to say, and there is more. A lot more.
How do I know this? My late brother was an optician, I used to spend time helping out in his shop making up eye glasses. I have some reallly awesome no longer useful skills in hand cutting and hand grinding edge bevels of glass lenses to size, popping them into plastic frames, etc..

Thanks for the explanation. I think my glasses being off has to due with the PD being off a bit.

Both DH and I both have challenging prescriptions. I knew a master optician who could instantly find a frame that looked good (used to work in NYC fashion industry, so fitting models) and fit perfectly for your facial structure including nose bridge width, deep eye sockets, etc. He would adjust the instructions to the lab so lenses were perfect for whatever application you specified (computer, twilight driving, bullseye pistol shooting, etc.) We followed him to 2 shops until he moved out of state. I knew people who flew to his new shop whenever they needed new glasses made!

I only met one other optician who had that same uncanny ability. She also had customers who specifically requested her help. It turned out she had been a master optician too, but let the certification lapse since the very large HMO group did not recognize the value of the ABOM designation, or differentiate significantly on years of experience. Anyhow, I liked the frames she selected so much, I bought another pair from an online glasses discounter as a backup.

It may be worth it to visit a master optician, depending on your vision needs. If they work in an independent shop, they are probably not inexpensive!

For my glasses situation, I decided to go to a Costco about 20 miles from me. The one there is nicer and not a big madhouse from what I've read about the ones closer to me.

I won't know until I get the glasses whether a thumbs up or thumbs down.

I was happy the see that the person filling my glasses prescription seemed to know what she was doing. She did use a pupilometer and measured segment heights for my progressive lenses. She also used an app on the sides of the frame when I was wearing to take some measurements. I'm not sure of what.

But I see on the receipt that the PD on both the right and left are the same. When I was self measuring, they weren't so symmetric. Was more like about 3-4 mm different. This isn't good for my confidence :(.

Cost wise, if all works out will save me about $400 over the monopoly glasses places.

Last edited:
But I see on the receipt that the PD on both the right and left are the same. When I was self measuring, they weren't so symmetric. Was more like about 3-4 mm different. This isn't good for my confidence :(.

Cost wise, if all works out will save me about $400 over the monopoly glasses places.
Your PD differences show that your brain is interpreting the measurements via your dominant eye.

Your PD differences show that your brain is interpreting the measurements via your dominant eye.

I'm not exactly sure what that means :).

I did check again the PD measurements from Costco today vs my best guess when I was trying to do on my own. The differences isn't that much. Left eye .5 mm difference. Right eye 1 mm difference. I feel more optimistic now that might be measured good enough.

I got my glasses from Costco.

I say all things considered, was a success. No more need for me to cry bloody murder. Took about a week from order to pickup.

Experience was a lot better than the other two tries at those glasses chain stores. At least the optician was eagerly helpful.

When I first put the glasses on, knew something looked off. I mentioned that and the optician said, it does look a bit crooked on you. So she made and adjustment. After looking through again it was better but not 100%. I reluctantly said Okay as my eyes were still adjusting.

I wore the glasses as I did some Costco shopping. Can't go to Costco and not stock up on something :). While shopping I was testing my vision with glasses looking at signs and people and surroundings. Was a bit of shopping traffic being Thanksgiving eve and all. I noticed that if I positioned the glasses down on my nose my vision was sharper than having the lenses more flush against my eyes.

After gathering all my stuff in the cart I headed back to the Costco optical department to ask for another adjustment mentioning that I see better with the glasses a bit down towards my nose. The optician said she can take care of that. She quickly made an adjustment and then tightened the fit a bit too.

Vision with new glasses now is good. Not 100% perfect as that would be going to the other room and doing an eye test but that wasn't done. I was able to drive home with the new glasses and didn't crash the car :cool:.

I'm converted. Happy getting glasses at this Costco for the value and service.

I have never bought glasses at a place like Costco. My impression is that places like Costco are probably great for 90% of eyeglass wearers. I am not in the 90%. My eyes are pretty bad! I have been going to the same Optometrist for over 20 years but she moved away so I am forced to make changes.

The big thing to me is that many, many frames do not come in different sizes (width, temple length, etc) so they either fit or don't fit. Higher cost frames might be more likely to have different sizes but not necessarily. Especially with progressive lenses the 'vision tech' should verify the progressive lenses are properly aligned. Adjustments to the temple (e.g. how the frames rest on your head) may be necessary.

My eye doctor has us check the glasses before we leave, including the Transition lenses. A couple of years ago, one lens was treated and one was not, which gave me an interesting one eyed pirate look. They fixed it, of course. My husband has a complicated prescription, and they have gotten it wrong before as well. That is why we get our glasses from the eye doctor's office, no he said/she said.

I have not been happy with any of the 10+ pairs of glasses I've gotten at Costco. So I tried on line. I ended up trying 3 different on line stores and sent each pair back multiple times before they got them to an acceptable level. Have the eye doc measure the pupillary distance and then make the glasses company use that number. Many, Costco included, have you try on the frames and hand mark with a dot. I had major differences between that manual number and the computer generated number the eye doc got. The online places say "satisfaction guarantee" and they did provide the return shipping till they got it acceptable. The best prescription glasses I've ever had were thru LensCrafters but they were also the most expensive. The second best was Eyemart express, again more than Costco.

We've been going to Costco for glasses for years with zero issues. They will even replace the lenses if scratched or the prescription is incorrect "within a reasonable time", which is simply defined as "Not a year later."

I get my prescription from an ophthalmologist due to cataracts (which were just corrected in September). My wife went to Costco's optometrist for the first time. She paid $85 versus almost $150 from Lenscrafters. Both of our glasses are perfect.

Costco even will put new lenses in your existing frames if they are in good shape so I also had that done with my sunglasses. Saved me $80 in frames.

Due to the cataract surgery, Original Medicare will cover about $80 for new, basic glasses. Costco does not accept Medicare but Walmart does. So I went to Walmart to save $80. Uh huh...

Three friggin' times and two stores before someone could be found in their Optical dept. who understood Medicare's reimbursement.

Me: "NO, I do NOT have Medicare Advantage! I have Original Medicare."

Walmart manager: "We don't accept original Medicare".

Me: "Really? Check this page of your web site that says you do."

Walmart manager: "We cannot accept this prescription from your optician because it does not have the Medicare procedure code."

Me: "Really? When I was here last night your people showed me the Walmart form that says you do."

Walmart manager: "I run the department and I don't care what the Walmart policy is. My policy is I need the procedure code."

None of that is made up.

Walmart's quote was $362 dollars or $282 plus tax after the Medicare coverage. I've never paid near that much for a pair of glasses from Costco.

So I went back to Costco where I got my new frames and lenses for $189 out the door. The frames were the same price at both places. WTH? I asked the Costco person what the heck was with Walmart's pricing.

She smiled and said that Walmart charges extra for everything. Need progressive lenses? More money. Got a prescription to correct to astigmatism? More money. Etc.

But, per her, Walmart will not tell you about the extra charges; they just give you a cost for the lenses. (Walmart said I should use their premium lenses and that put the cost over $500!)

And no, the Walmart charge breakdown they gave me did not list their lens surcharges, just one price.

She said all of those things are standard with Costco including a new blue light filter.

I don't know how Costco does it but they do.

I have received bifocal prescriptions for the last two years from Walmart. Generally satisfied, however when reading at night, I have to hold my books closer than comfortable. Next time, I plan on taking a book with me during the exam to explain the situation to the tech and not just rely on their charts.

Last edited:
There are glasses, and then there are glasses.
I've been wearing progressive lenses for over 30 years and am very used to them.
When the local glasses place I had been using closed down permanently during Covid, I went to Costco for my next set.

Everything was fine until we got to the part about which brand of progressives they use. I don't recall the name but "they're just as good as the ones you've been using."
Wrong.
I could never get comfortably focused with them, Costco even completely re-did the eye tests and made me a new set of lenses but still in their store brand of progressives. No improvement even after wearing them for a month.
So I found another small local shop that got everything just right on the first try.

"In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, theory and practice are different."

Looking back, in my lifetime I've tried department store (like Sears), independent optometrist (most of lifetime), chains (Pearl Vision, Lenscrafters, MyEyeDr), online mail order and most recently Costco.

As for walking out with new glasses that works best, best luck was independent.

Once at Lenscrafters had a pair way off, then they remeasured and did over and glasses worked perfectly. Then next time, not much luck.

Mail order for me was frustrating.

Now I'm getting glasses from Costco. Not as perfect as for vision (maybe it's one eye's fault) as when I went to independent optometrist (I think because he tested after I got glasses). But difference in cost is about $400.

Anyhow, that's my recap. Others may be totally different.

Seeing properly? There are probably some practical guidelines about that. Maybe take a reading chart with you?

I got a pair of variables from a glasses store. The tech took a lot of time to fit the prescription to my needs. In the end I couldn't see with those glasses, due to some complications after surgery. But at the time I didn't know that. I wasted $220 or so, and so did Medicare.

My instinct at the time was that I should go with Zenni, and I regret over-riding that feeling at the time. I would have wasted a much smaller amount.

If things aren't good, be sure to get re-work before time's up, or you'll eat the cost of the glasses.

The standard answer is probably something like, "Oh, give it time and your eyes will accomodate to this prescription." That usually happens.

What are the problems I ran into with Costco was where I used to shop. Those people let me buy what I wanted to buy. There’s an issue with that. I kinda like the big glasses. They look really cool on me — they distort my vision.

I bought a pair there that was wrong for so many reasons but the biggest one was that the frames were very fine and blended in with everything. And I am nearsighted, and if I can’t see my glasses, I can’t find my glasses.

So I went to my new Costco because I moved across country, and I tried on several frames, and I found a big one that I loved and the clerk looked at me and said sorry no. I’m not used to hearing that. And that’s when she said to me they do look wonderful, but your vision will be distorted. Big frames are for big faces. I found a pair I liked, they were the proper size and all the weird little issues I was having were gone. I could see them when I put them down, I could see much better with them on because of the distortion and apparently for driving they were perfect but for reading they were off on my right side wildly.

It’s not just that one person at Costco because I have purchased a couple more pairs there and each time I gravitate to those really big glasses, and all of them will tell me these will distort your vision. You

Also they really adjust my glasses. They take their time. The Costco I was at before was very very busy, and did not have the time. They were a very bare minimum Costco.

I trust them.

What are the problems I ran into with Costco was where I used to shop. Those people let me buy what I wanted to buy. There’s an issue with that. I kinda like the big glasses. They look really cool on me — they distort my vision.

I bought a pair there that was wrong for so many reasons but the biggest one was that the frames were very fine and blended in with everything. And I am nearsighted, and if I can’t see my glasses, I can’t find my glasses.

So I went to my new Costco because I moved across country, and I tried on several frames, and I found a big one that I loved and the clerk looked at me and said sorry no. I’m not used to hearing that. And that’s when she said to me they do look wonderful, but your vision will be distorted. Big frames are for big faces. I found a pair I liked, they were the proper size and all the weird little issues I was having were gone. I could see them when I put them down, I could see much better with them on because of the distortion and apparently for driving they were perfect but for reading they were off on my right side wildly.

It’s not just that one person at Costco because I have purchased a couple more pairs there and each time I gravitate to those really big glasses, and all of them will tell me these will distort your vision. You

Also they really adjust my glasses. They take their time. The Costco I was at before was very very busy, and did not have the time. They were a very bare minimum Costco.

I trust them.
Interesting that you bring up the frame width. I recently changed that from Medium to Large. One advantage to shopping Zenni is that you can filter the selection for size. I recall 4 sizes being sometimes possible. There are frames not available in certain sizes. I'm only looking for ordinary titanium frames (not cool), half-rimless.

They have exact measurments, and are PD-appropriate. I'm slowly learning more about eyeglasses tech now. Like, your PD can be different for each eye, and vertical measurement may differ in each eye. How different, I'm not an expert, that's for sure.

You're not going to get all of the specifications in a store, unless, I suppose, that you ask. As you read about various offline stores' personnel, the knowledge given may be suspect.

Looking back, in my lifetime I've tried department store (like Sears), independent optometrist (most of lifetime), chains (Pearl Vision, Lenscrafters, MyEyeDr), online mail order and most recently Costco.

As for walking out with new glasses that works best, best luck was independent.

Once at Lenscrafters had a pair way off, then they remeasured and did over and glasses worked perfectly. Then next time, not much luck.

Mail order for me was frustrating.

Now I'm getting glasses from Costco. Not as perfect as for vision (maybe it's one eye's fault) as when I went to independent optometrist (I think because he tested after I got glasses). But difference in cost is about $400.

Anyhow, that's my recap. Others may be totally different.
I found out quite a long time ago that esperience of the examiner (ophthalmalogist or optician) results in better information, at least it did for me.

In the 90's my health dropped a bit, and I suddenly started taking long naps each day. We had a trip to Europe, and two different ophthalmalogists looked at me in their office setting. Nothing official.

One Dr. noticed corneal abrasions and slight scarring that resulted from my boy putting his very tiny little finger in that eye ten years before. The other Dr. had me sit across the table from her. She looked at my eyes, and said, "You have a thyroid problem." And I did. That story got much longer, of course. After I asked my reluctant GP for a TSH Panel, diagnosis and treatment became an easy decision for me.

Okay, that is wandering away from syeglasses problems. A better exam for you might point out other factors, like eye physiology, that cause prescriptions to be off. Just a guess from me.

Used to have problems

it took me a long time to figure out why my new glasses never seemed good.

finally realized that i must not treat optician exams like a drivers license eye tests.

for a drivers license, i am squinting and doing everything i can to score well.

for a test for glasses i must keep eyes in a normal relaxed stance to get a true eval of eyesight!

how about you?

also, i borrow their marker and go sit in my car to mark the dividing lines myself for progressives sections for sunglasses with oversize lenses

I trust them.

I know what you mean about big glasses. I like my glasses with larger lenses as the major need for them is driving. I had to explain this to my eye doctor's office. I had this pair with small lenses. Wore that on and read their chart good enough but told them I can't see well at all out of them when driving.

IMO, seems there's this desire to get one glasses (progressive) to see well at all distances. For me, it's about how well the glasses performs while driving. Other times, I'm often using a different pair like an older one where things don't have to be that sharp. Or computer glasses. For reall up close stuff like looking at the tiny text of my phone, I prefer to take off the glasses to read.

One of the benefits of working for a major eyewear manufacturer and retailer is that I get a free pair with all the works every year. I have only worn glasses for about 15 years (I know people that have worn them for much much longer) but in that time I have had a gambit of things go wrong and I have learned from each.

1. When you get your eyes checked for your prescription. If your gut tells you something is wrong, something is wrong. When you look through that machine at near and far when they are done, it should be crystal clear. That means out of each eye, and when looking with both eyes. Garbage in, garbage out. If your prescription is not right, then your glasses will not be right. Dont be afraid to say, can you check that again... my right eye seems off, or they looked good individually but now it seems a bit off..

2. Setting PD has changed considerably over the years. Most places now use a device that they lock to your glasses, and an app on a device that when they line up your picture with that all on your face, it reads the correct place for PD. Unfailingly. It will be accurate.

3. Lenses are not all the same. I get it that the really good lenses (Varilux is one) are expensive. But getting a cheap lens and expecting the best results is the same as buying a cheapo car and expecting it to ride the same as a higher end car. If you get a really inexpensive lens, (especially on progressives) you will probably find your field of view isn't what it could be, or you may find it scratches easier, etc etc.

4. If your glasses aren't right, they aren't right. If your prescription has not changed or has not changed much or you are not new to glasses, then the glasses should be crystal clear when you put them on. If they aren't then:
a. They are either not adjusted correctly on your face.
b. The prescription was not put in the glasses correctly.
c. You are new to glasses (like progressives) and need time to adjust.
d. Your vision has issues and is not stable or your prescription was not accurate.

But with 4 (above), do not be afraid to tell them your glasses are not right. I have had to bring glasses back and have had them re-made. I have also not been happy with a prescription but just lived with it until I get another check (and a different eye doctor) ,only to find the ophthalmologist screwed up. They do make mistakes although its rare. In each of those where I just lived with it, I wish I could go back and say... wait, these arent right!

The difference for me is I get a new pair each year. When I stop w**king, this coming year, I will have to be much more aware when I get new glasses because I will be coming out of pocket. So I have to be my own advocate from one end of the process to the end. If not, I walk around with poor vision until I can afford to get it corrected.

OF course since I know its coming this coming year, I have used my employee discounts to load up on a couple of pair of prescription sunglasses and regular glasses. My prescription has been nice and stable for a few years so that should carry my for a while.

One of the benefits of working for a major eyewear manufacturer and retailer is that I get a free pair with all the works every year. I have only worn glasses for about 15 years (I know people that have worn them for much much longer) but in that time I have had a gambit of things go wrong and I have learned from each.

1. When you get your eyes checked for your prescription. If your gut tells you something is wrong, something is wrong. When you look through that machine at near and far when they are done, it should be crystal clear. That means out of each eye, and when looking with both eyes. Garbage in, garbage out. If your prescription is not right, then your glasses will not be right. Dont be afraid to say, can you check that again... my right eye seems off, or they looked good individually but now it seems a bit off..

2. Setting PD has changed considerably over the years. Most places now use a device that they lock to your glasses, and an app on a device that when they line up your picture with that all on your face, it reads the correct place for PD. Unfailingly. It will be accurate.

3. Lenses are not all the same. I get it that the really good lenses (Varilux is one) are expensive. But getting a cheap lens and expecting the best results is the same as buying a cheapo car and expecting it to ride the same as a higher end car. If you get a really inexpensive lens, (especially on progressives) you will probably find your field of view isn't what it could be, or you may find it scratches easier, etc etc.

4. If your glasses aren't right, they aren't right. If your prescription has not changed or has not changed much or you are not new to glasses, then the glasses should be crystal clear when you put them on. If they aren't then:
a. They are either not adjusted correctly on your face.
b. The prescription was not put in the glasses correctly.
c. You are new to glasses (like progressives) and need time to adjust.
d. Your vision has issues and is not stable or your prescription was not accurate.

But with 4 (above), do not be afraid to tell them your glasses are not right. I have had to bring glasses back and have had them re-made. I have also not been happy with a prescription but just lived with it until I get another check (and a different eye doctor) ,only to find the ophthalmologist screwed up. They do make mistakes although its rare. In each of those where I just lived with it, I wish I could go back and say... wait, these arent right!

The difference for me is I get a new pair each year. When I stop w**king, this coming year, I will have to be much more aware when I get new glasses because I will be coming out of pocket. So I have to be my own advocate from one end of the process to the end. If not, I walk around with poor vision until I can afford to get it corrected.

OF course since I know its coming this coming year, I have used my employee discounts to load up on a couple of pair of prescription sunglasses and regular glasses. My prescription has been nice and stable for a few years so that should carry my for a while.

Good to hear from someone from the inside.

My glasses situation recently though was that I had a prescription from Ophthalmologist then go to optician chain (Lenscrafters, Pearl Vision) to fill the glasses months later. When things are off after the chain hands over the made glasses, what they say is "well, they didn't do the prescription." I could demand to get tested again. But that would count as another personal expense on my part. Also, I don't think I can go back to the ophthalmologist office and ask them to re-check and not expect to wait to get scheduled and not pay.

On the other hand, if going to an independent that does everything, eye exam, pick out glasses from them, fitting from them. Then to say something is wrong is easier and less time consuming. But independent is not cost savings way to go.

I do agree that if your gut says something feels wrong, then something feels wrong.

My primary pair of glasses I wear around the house is one probably about 25 years ago. I guess they were done right and was perfect vision when I got them :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom