How many times have you moved?

Good point -- it should be clarified as to when.

In my case, of my 27 moves, 8 were by the age of 22, the rest after.

The Air Force saw to it that I saw a lot of the world, the best part of which was the three years I lived in Rio de Janeiro.

Since moving to Ohio in 1989, only two moves, and there is only likely to be one more, when I get decrepit enough to no longer enjoy being a homeowner.

4 moves before heading to college.
5 moves since college started (9 years)

i didn't count my katrina vacation in houston...

that's 9 different states. i thought i had lived in a lot of places, but it seems like other's have me beat.

Eleven times so far. All moves made after I got married at age 23. I lived in the same little house my parents built after WW II from birth through college(I am not counting dormitory living in college as it was not my home of record).

Since marrying in 1976, we have moved 14 times.

Before college I only lived in 2 places - my parents lived in the same house for 50 years, and moved there when I was 5). At College I lived in 6 places as I did a co-op degree, 6 months in industry, 6 months at college (the college and the company were in different cities).

A tangent, I admit, but...

When I was starting a three year stint for MegaCorp in Geneva, a coworker graciously invited me to his home for dinner. He lived on the family farm just outside the city. I asked him how long his family had lived there, and after thinking for a moment, he said 700 years.

Wow...but they don't build them like that anymore...

Since age 17 after graduating from high school I have moved 13 times. Have been in my current house for 17 years and hope to never move again.

8 times since birth. Longest duration in one home was 19 years, beginning age 4. Currently approaching that in my present home. Expect one or two more moves.

I lived in only 4 locations in my life: 18 years in location 1, 5 years in location 2, 8 years in location 3, and 5 years (so far) in location 4.

Counting times when I moved from one home to another while staying in the same location, I moved a total of 8 times since birth. I expect at least one more move in the future.

I feel positively sedentary compared to most of you. Five times in 34 years since age 18.

When we bought our current home in 1992, I was 33. It is the 32nd place that I have lived (my father was in the US Navy until I was 17, then I was in the US Navy from 18 to 27). There was one year when I was young that I went to 3 different schools in the same school year, several where I went to two schools, and a few where I was out of school for a while and didn't complete the year.

I'm not inclined to move again.

Using my first move out of my parents' house in 1988 as "move #1", seven times (and there's an increasingly good chance #8 will come in the next few months).

14 times since leaving parents. I'm a military brat, so at least 10 places before that. I have only owned one house and have lived here 15 years.

Wow. I'm amazed at how much we Americans move.

Well, except me. I've moved twice since college. And the second move was back into the house I lived in before the first move!

18 since birth; 15 since adult.

Ha

I probably moved about 12 times in college and the first few years after. DW and I have now been in the same house for 28 years and plan to stay indefinitely.

Let's see:

1. Parent's first home (-1972ish)
2. Parent's second home(1972-1986)
3. Boarding school in the UK (June 1986-July 1988, but came home on holidays)
4. First college apartment -- (July 1988- sometime in 1990) shared with sister
5. Second college apartment -- (1990-early 1993) shared with sister
6. House built jointly with sister (early 1993- late 1996)
7. First apartment with DH ( most of 1996/97, but I was overseas most of this time)
8. Second apartment with DH ( march 1997- Aug 1999, DH found it and moved while I was still overseas)
9. Employer-provided housing following cross-country relocation (Sept 1999-July 2000)
10. Own co-op (July 2000-Feb 2003) kept most of our stuff there for almost 1 year before we decided to sell)
11. First rental apartment at overseas assignment (Feb 2002-November 2002)
12. Second rental apartment at overseas assignment (November 2002-June 2005)
13. Third rental apartment at overseas assignment (June 2005-June 2007)
14. House-sit following relocation to current city (July 2007)
15. Rental apartment in current city (August 2007-May 2009)
16. Own condo in current city (June 2009-present)

I'm actually surprised that it adds up to so many places, and I didn't include several interim housing solutions I had while overseas doing language study/research between 1991-1999, since those never involved moving all my stuff but rather just some suitcases and shipping a box or two of books.

lhamo

I lost count...think it is about 22 or 23. Next move is back to the states in '12. After that, plan to live in the dream home until we can no longer care for it, then move to a small townhome in our twilight years. So, just a couple to go. Our home in the states is furnished, and all our furniture here has seen better days, so mostly it will be family keepsakes and momentos from 14 years of living and working here. The rest will be tossed out.

R

Since moving out on my own after college, I've lived in 3 places, all of them in the same city and just a few miles apart. I've been in this house for 19 years. I expect to move one more time - waiting for SO to retire so we can get the heck out of this congested area, move someplace quieter, and downsize.

... I didn't include several interim housing solutions I had while overseas doing language study/research between 1991-1999...
Oh yea. Including relocating for work in the summer during school, I would have to add 7 to the previous total of 8. All before age 26.

My parents moved right after I was born so I don't remember the first house. Moved again at age 6 when my brother was born. I lived there until college and marriage and then DH and I had a tiny/cheap 1 bedroom apt for 7 years until we bought our current home. Next month it will be 27 years that we've been here.

We like the house and the area. We plan on staying here for a long time.

22 times, 18 times between age 18-23 :nonono: (the things I did to get through undergrad debt free...). Luckily that is all done and I should only have to move 3-4 more times during the rest of my life.

11 times since college - all transfers.
BUT....... next Friday we close on our final (??) home. First non-transfer movie in 30 years - boy! miss Mega-Corp handling the packing/loading and moving details and costs!. This is where we will live after retiring, so we're really excited.

Back
Top Bottom